Enstrom F-28F

Old January 27th 04, 05:05 AM
Badwater Bill

Default Enstrom F-28F

I got to talking with a buddy of mine today and he told me that the
turboed Enstrom F-28F was a great ship.

I want a personal helicopter for me mostly. My wife will go about 25%
opf the time.

I'd like to land it at 10,000 feet msl if it will do it, no big loads,
just some groceries.

How much do they cost and what is the TBO? What should I look for?

I'm serious. I was just about to buy a Robbie, but-damn, the envelope
is so tight on that ship. However, the thing I don't like about the
Enstrom is the way they buzz that engine, the probability of an engine
failure, etc. I like the idea of a turbo, but how does it cool?

Thank you for anything you can tell me or for directing me to some
people who know...or a site on the web that might shed some info on
the machine.

Bill Phillips
Old January 27th 04, 09:49 AM
Guy Alcala

Badwater Bill wrote:

I got to talking with a buddy of mine today and he told me that the
turboed Enstrom F-28F was a great ship.

I want a personal helicopter for me mostly. My wife will go about 25%
opf the time.

I'd like to land it at 10,000 feet msl if it will do it, no big loads,
just some groceries.

How much do they cost and what is the TBO? What should I look for?

I'm serious. I was just about to buy a Robbie, but-damn, the envelope
is so tight on that ship. However, the thing I don't like about the
Enstrom is the way they buzz that engine, the probability of an engine
failure, etc. I like the idea of a turbo, but how does it cool?

Thank you for anything you can tell me or for directing me to some
people who know...or a site on the web that might shed some info on
the machine.

Bill Phillips

Well, googling on "Enstrom F28F" will get you several sites, including the
obvious first one to look at:

http://www.enstromhelicopter.com/home.html

http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRTypen/FRF28F.htm

has some claimed cost data from 1998.

From reading this it appears the 280FX would be more what you're looking
for, as it's aimed at the personal market. Slightly faster, but same
performance otherwise.

Guy

Old January 27th 04, 05:26 PM
Badwater Bill

Enstrom's can be expensive to maintain, but maybe "O Ring" can help you.

Why not get a surplus OH-58 and operate Experimental?

Skyking

I looked into that but you can't go anywhere without the FAA approval
for every flight. It's not like a homebuilt.

BWB

Old January 27th 04, 05:40 PM
JIM105

I want a personal helicopter for me mostly. My wife will go about 25%
opf the time.

I'd like to land it at 10,000 feet msl if it will do it, no big loads,
just some groceries.

How much do they cost and what is the TBO? What should I look for?

I'm serious. I was just about to buy a Robbie, but-damn, the envelope
is so tight on that ship. However, the thing I don't like about the
Enstrom is the way they buzz that engine, the probability of an engine
failure, etc. I like the idea of a turbo, but how does it cool?

Thank you for anything you can tell me or for directing me to some
people who know

You will never operate an Enstrom for the same price as a Robbi. On the other
hand, the Enstrom is much more versatile. the F28F can carry three in a pinch
(you will be good friends by the end of the flight though). The ride quality
is good and the autorotations are the best of any piston except the Bell 47.

I haven't flown one in probably 15 years, but as far as 10,000 feet, I'd look
hard at the performance numbers of any piston helicopter. The lamiflex
bearings were a hassle, although I think Enstrom has a new system these days.
Engine does tend to work hard and I don't remember seeing many go to TBO.

All in all I really enjoyed flying them. Of course the key to it is to find a
mechanic that knows Enstroms in your area. It can make or break your
experience.

Jim

Old January 28th 04, 02:37 AM
Badwater Bill

On 27 Jan 2004 16:40:04 GMT, (JIM105) wrote:

[...]

That's interesting Jim. Thanks for the input. I know they suck the
guts out of that piston engine, but I hear the flying characteristics
are superb. What I like about the R-22 is the lack of maintenace and
the engine is so derated it probably won't ever fail. But, if it
does, then you better be spring loaded to get that collective bottomed
in 1 second or you are toast. All of this is a toss up. In the
Enstrom buzzing that O-360 and demanding 220 hp out of an engine
designed for 160 hp worries me, especially in a helo.

What do you know about the turbine ship? The 480 is it? Anybody got
any experience with that baby?

BWB

Old January 28th 04, 03:25 AM
JIM105

What do you know about the turbine ship? The 480 is it?

Unfortunately have never flown it. It seems like it wouldn't be bad, but then
comes the question for the price of a 480 could you be able to find a used 206
or 500. Another question is the R44. Yet another machine I haven't flown.

IIRC you live in the Las Vegas area, you might want to take a day at Heli Expo.
It runs March 15,16, and 17 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.

Good Luck

Jim
Old January 28th 04, 07:32 PM
Stevenatherton

i have had a f28a,f28c,f28ofx and 2 480s one of them brand new

i thought they were all very good made helicopters fairly inexpensive to
maintain , lovly and safe to fly [there has never been a fatal accident in the
uk in a enstrom]only reason that i dont have one now was i wanted more speed
and payload now have a md600
steve atherton
as some one said go to hai at vegas ans see one , i will be there possibly
around the md stand look me up
please note i am a private/buisness user of helicopters not a dealer