A remarkable pic of the Jet Blue nose gear...

Old October 2nd 05, 03:38 PM
Jay Honeck

Default A remarkable pic of the Jet Blue nose gear...

See:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga..._Nosewheel.jpg

Airbus may not know how to make a landing gear mechanism that works
reliably, but they sure do know how to make it TOUGH. It's hard to
imagine the stresses on that gear as the wheels ground themselves into
oblivion...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 2nd 05, 07:41 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

See:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga..._Nosewheel.jpg

Airbus may not know how to make a landing gear mechanism that works
reliably, but they sure do know how to make it TOUGH. It's hard to
imagine the stresses on that gear as the wheels ground themselves into
oblivion...

I don't know for sure, but it may well be that this caused less stress
than the tires would at maximum braking. I'm guessing the wheels are
aluminum and once it got hot and began to melt, the friction may not
have been all that great.

If you don't believe me, make a skid that has an aluminum plate on the
bottom and make another and put cut up tire treads on it. Place a
hundred pounds or so on top and then try to slide each across your driveway.

Matt
Old October 3rd 05, 01:17 AM
Flyingmonk

NIce clear pic! I see that the tire is still on the right side rim.

"If in doubt, over-engineer it!" My shop teacher always said.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old October 3rd 05, 02:22 AM
Mike W.

I think the one that landed here in Columbus a few years ago, the nosegear
straightened itself out on touchdown, no damage.

That is amazing, ground down to the axle.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

Old October 3rd 05, 03:12 AM
Flyingmonk

Sure is amazing. Also amazing that they didn't design a failure mode
that leaves the tires aligned and locked in the aligned position when
failed.

Old October 3rd 05, 03:17 AM
JohnH

I don't know for sure, but it may well be that this caused less stress
than the tires would at maximum braking.

....after the tremendous force spike of the side loaded rubber tires.

Old October 3rd 05, 05:18 PM
Capt.Doug

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Airbus may not know how to make a landing gear mechanism that works
reliably, but they sure do know how to make it TOUGH. It's hard to
imagine the stresses on that gear as the wheels ground themselves into
oblivion...

They have to be tough to survive my landings! Not to mention the tug drivers
at LaGuardia! Plus those JetBlue Airbusses are getting old. They're 6 years
old already! :-)

Last year, a Fed-Ex A-300 widebody landed at FLLwith the main wheels locked
up. It stopped in 2700'. All 8 wheels were ground down to the axle. Then a
DC-3 blew a tire and shut down the other wide runway. What a day!

D.

Old October 3rd 05, 07:13 PM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-10-03, Capt.Doug wrote:

Last year, a Fed-Ex A-300 widebody landed at FLLwith the main wheels locked
up. It stopped in 2700'. All 8 wheels were ground down to the axle.

What does the flight manual say about cool down time after that kind of
braking effort?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 3rd 05, 09:24 PM
Darkwing \(Badass\)

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
See:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga..._Nosewheel.jpg

Airbus may not know how to make a landing gear mechanism that works
reliably, but they sure do know how to make it TOUGH. It's hard to
imagine the stresses on that gear as the wheels ground themselves into
oblivion...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Good thing the wheels stayed perpendicular to the nose, if the nose wheel
was cocked at 45* or something other than straight or 90* you would have a
wild ride when the nose wheel touched.

DW

Old October 3rd 05, 11:58 PM
Matt Whiting

Darkwing (Badass) wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

See:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga..._Nosewheel.jpg

Airbus may not know how to make a landing gear mechanism that works
reliably, but they sure do know how to make it TOUGH. It's hard to
imagine the stresses on that gear as the wheels ground themselves into
oblivion...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Good thing the wheels stayed perpendicular to the nose, if the nose wheel
was cocked at 45* or something other than straight or 90* you would have a
wild ride when the nose wheel touched.

Yes, that would have been a real test of pilot skill. I wonder if the
rudder, asymetric reverse thrust AND differential braking could overcome
a 45 degree nosewheel? I'd hate to be part of the crew that had to find
out.

Matt

Jet engines vs. leaf blowers 01-- Zero One Soaring 6 September 8th 05 01:59 AM
A&P heroics Jim Piloting 31 July 18th 05 07:26 PM
Nose gear failure Greg Esres Owning 12 April 20th 04 11:03 PM
VW-1 C-121J landing with unlocked nose wheel Mel Davidow LT USNR Ret Military Aviation 1 January 19th 04 06:22 AM
Blue Angel's Gear Door Broken? Clay N4AOX Military Aviation 15 October 6th 03 08:01 AM