Slip (balance) and Turn indicator

Old March 28th 13, 09:13 PM
mikeaaron353 mikeaaron353 is offline
Junior Member

Default Slip (balance) and Turn indicator

I am not an aviator, but I have what hopefully is not a stupid question.
I am a restoring a '80 Triumph Spitfire roadster and would like to add a Supermarine Spitfire gauge to the dash. I found a Slip (balance) and Turn indicator in ebay, but not knowing enough about them I was wondering if it would indicate anything about my turning in a car rather than a plane that is operating at an order of magnitude faster. The indicator has graduations from 1 to 4.
Thanks for you time.

Mike M.
Old March 30th 13, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

On 3/28/2013 1:13 PM, mikeaaron353 wrote:
I am not an aviator, but I have what hopefully is not a stupid
question.
I am a restoring a '80 Triumph Spitfire roadster and would like to add a
Supermarine Spitfire gauge to the dash. I found a Slip (balance) and
Turn indicator in ebay, but not knowing enough about them I was
wondering if it would indicate anything about my turning in a car rather
than a plane that is operating at an order of magnitude faster. The
indicator has graduations from 1 to 4.
Thanks for you time.

It indicates whether a turn is coordinated (slip) and the relative rate
of turn. In reality, your Triumph will probably turn a lot faster than
the aircraft.

The slip indicator is basically showing how much the driver being pushed
left or right as the car turns. A perfectly banked turn will show
zero...whether you're in an aircraft or on a banked track. The slip
indicator is nothing more than a carpenter's level; no power or anything
needed.

Looking a picture of the gauge, it looks like the turn indicator is
vacuum driven. If you apply vacuum, the needle will indicate how fast
you're turning. A modern "Standard Rate" turn means it takes two
minutes to do a complete 360-degree circle...as you can anticipate, your
car will turn a lot faster. Be neat to look at, assuming you can get
some vacuum to the gauge.

Ron Wanttaja