707 does a roll -- video

Old January 5th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

Default 707 does a roll -- video

http://www.orizzle.com/htm/v/020.htm

Danny Deger

Old January 5th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

"Danny Deger" wrote in message
http://www.orizzle.com/htm/v/020.htm

Danny Deger

Know the event well, as well as the guy who did it :-)
I think Tex probably sold more airplanes for Boeing that day over the races
than the sales department could have in ten years. He did get the "word"
however, not to do it again!!
He had a photo of the airplane inverted hanging in his office for many
years.
It was a barrel roll BTW, NOT an aileron roll, in case anyone ever asks you.
He had to keep positive pressure in the oil system.
Dudley Henriques

Old January 5th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Know the event well, as well as the guy who did it :-)

You know him? Cool!

I loved "Jet Age Test Pilot"!
Old January 5th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
et...
Dudley Henriques wrote:

Know the event well, as well as the guy who did it :-)

You know him? Cool!

I loved "Jet Age Test Pilot"!

Actually "knew him" would be more accurate. Tex died back in 98.
Great guy, and he pulled off one hell of a stunt back there with the
prototype Dash 80! We always kidded him about it looking like a "whale"
roll!!! :-))
Dudley Henriques

Old January 5th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JonH

I read once that, when questioned about the the roll and the potential
financial disaster for Boeing if he had crashed, Tex replied that he had
practiced it already, so he knew that it could be done.

Funny, if true.

Old January 5th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Tex died back in 98.

Very sorry to hear that!
Old January 5th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Dudley Henriques wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
et...
Dudley Henriques wrote:

Know the event well, as well as the guy who did it :-)

You know him? Cool!

I loved "Jet Age Test Pilot"!

Actually "knew him" would be more accurate. Tex died back in 98.
Great guy, and he pulled off one hell of a stunt back there with the
prototype Dash 80! We always kidded him about it looking like a "whale"
roll!!! :-))

His son still does interviews about it. His son looks to be social
security age, just goes to show how long ago that was.

-Robert

Old January 5th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dudley Henriques wrote:
"Danny Deger" wrote in message
http://www.orizzle.com/htm/v/020.htm

Danny Deger

Know the event well, as well as the guy who did it :-)
I think Tex probably sold more airplanes for Boeing that day over the races
than the sales department could have in ten years. He did get the "word"
however, not to do it again!!
He had a photo of the airplane inverted hanging in his office for many
years.
It was a barrel roll BTW, NOT an aileron roll, in case anyone ever asks you.
He had to keep positive pressure in the oil system.
Dudley Henriques

I listened to a talk that Tex gave in the cafeteria of the 40-87
building in Everett back when I was working there. It was probably
1992 or 1993.

His talk was about a P-39 aircobra that he was involved in modifying
for an air race. One of the things he brought up early in his talk was
about how the landing gear came up in less than 2 seconds.
Unfortunately his memory was getting pretty bad and he kept asking if
he had brought up the fact that the landing gear came up in 2 seconds
throughout his talk. He must have asked that 15 times over the course
of his talk. After a while it almost took on the character of a
running joke, and it was hard to show the proper respect and keep a
straight face, especially since my engineering lead was sitting right
next to me with his hand over his face and a supressed laugh every time
Tex asked that question. I had to avoid looking over at him to avoid
laughing myself. It was one of those embarassing moments that are so
awkward you can't help but want to laugh.

Yes, I know that old age memory loss is not a laughing matter...

Dean

Old January 5th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Actually "knew him" would be more accurate. Tex died back in 98.
Great guy, and he pulled off one hell of a stunt back there with the
prototype Dash 80! We always kidded him about it looking like a "whale"
roll!!! :-))

Hey Dudley,

Speaking of whales... D'ya think the structure (spars?) on the A380
would hold up to a barrel roll? Airbus could use some positive press
for that program right about now. That'd be even more spectacular than
the photos of the A380 four-ship from last year!

Old January 5th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dudley Henriques wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
et...
Dudley Henriques wrote:

Know the event well, as well as the guy who did it :-)

You know him? Cool!

I loved "Jet Age Test Pilot"!

Actually "knew him" would be more accurate. Tex died back in 98.
Great guy, and he pulled off one hell of a stunt back there with the
prototype Dash 80! We always kidded him about it looking like a "whale"
roll!!! :-))

His son still does interviews about it. His son looks to be social
security age, just goes to show how long ago that was.

-Robert

Had a Q&A once as a guest speaker on aviation with a troop of Cub Scouts.
One of them asked me what Orville and Wilber Wright were REALLY like!!!!!!
:-))
Dudley Henriques