COVID-19 Operational Considerations

Old May 1st 20, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default COVID-19 Operational Considerations

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 2:30:11 PM UTC-7, Dave Springford wrote:
Wearing a mask or not can be compared to wearing pants or not (with credit to the internet):

If nobody wears pants and the guy beside you on the street pees, you both get wet.

If you wear pants, you still get wet, but not as much as if you don't wear pants.

If you both wear pants, he gets wet and you are safe.

Dave, good analogy, but I fear you are really just ****ing in the wind betting on one of these losing friends, has a lick of sense.
Old May 3rd 20, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 2:39:16 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 11:51:14 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 9:32:09 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Thirty seconds into the video and I'm laughing so hard I've got tears
running down my cheeks.Â* A lot of folks who watch this (and you know who
you are) will think that people with southern or mid western accents are
dumb.Â* No - they just know how to laugh at this situation.Â* You should,
too.Â* (You know who you are.)

On 4/27/2020 5:21 PM, Dave Springford wrote:
Meanwhile in Florida, Darwinism rears its head.

https://youtu.be/Vfmaza3lPDc

--
Dan, 5J

The fact that some folks would think she is being serious is hilarious. The joke is on them.

I guess we'll throw the Canadian a bone on this one. We're nice guys, after all.

These guys aren't sarcastic at all. Watch soon, this keeps getting deleted from Youtube for absolutely no defensible reason.

Covid-19 perspective from a couple of ER docs.

Cliff notes conclusion: "the lockdown is unjustified". These guys support my assertion that we can go soaring safely (with some significant tweaks to our normal ops). QT please watch. Sorry it's long. It's quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJegzdhQjdI

T8

PS: My club has decided to open, with a couple of pages of new operational requirements, heavy on social distancing and hygiene. I've read this once through, it seems quite thorough and reasonable.

Good for your club. It's nice to see a little sanity.

I am honestly quite puzzled by people who accept the sometimes fickle influences of weather and winds insist that life be so utterly predictable that they're scared to death of this virus.

If they're scared they should stay home and be scared and not inflict their fears on everybody else.

Risk mitigation? Sure. I got no problem with that. But watching what people do in public? These folks are stupid. No common sense.
Old May 3rd 20, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 7:10:57 PM UTC-5, Steve Bralla wrote:

I'm not wearing a face mask. My body my choice. If you are afraid of people without face masks stay scared - at home.

Presenting facts to Gregg is no use. He learned all he needs to know when he earned his PHD in infectious diseases at Trump University

Good point.

Anthony S. Fauci has kept his job through four administrations two of which were democrat. He has credentials that at least foster the illusion he's competent at his job.

Three months ahead of the time table he presented we're already at 60K deaths. The advice from the CDC and him haven't just been shades of grey, they've been night and day different.

It's not an emergency. Then....it is an emergency.

Nothing to worry about. Now, worry.

Effects people with "known health issues". Then, can hit kids, major league baseball players who get constant checkups and really, just about anybody.

Domestic pets and wild animals can't get it. Followed by a cat and two lions that got it.

I don't even have an undergraduate degree in medicine but I know when somebody constantly contradicts themselves in videos, well...at least for half of us it raises serious doubts about their credibility.

Each of the things I mentioned above, those were all presented a 'facts' from our government experts.

But you are right and good to hold Gregg to a higher standard. He's clearly not as stupid as Fauci or most liberal forward thinkers.
Old May 3rd 20, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 2:38:55 PM UTC-7, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
[...]

I am sorry, I missed it. Could you state again what are your medical credentials, your work experience with infectious decease, and citations to your publications. Also, are you currently working as an MD in the fight against Covid? Or are your musing those of a layman with no training or experience make the calls you are making?
Old May 4th 20, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 5:29:12 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

Not a problem. I'll can see you need me to write more slowly for you to get it.

In February, Fauci did a live interview that's still on youtube (For now) where he said "most US citizens don't need to worry about it", referring to Covid 19.

By March, that changed to an estimate of 60,000 dead total from Covid by late fall. We've already hit 60,000, if the numbers are credible, which according to the same experts, there is reason to doubt because of the financial incentives to label a skydiving or base jumping accident as 'covid'.

At first the CDC said "domestic pets like cats and dogs can't get it. Neither can wild animals". Then a cat was diagnosed. Then two lions at NYC Zoo.

But by all means, bet your life on their 'expert' advice, John. I think we both agree on that, though probably for very, very different reasons.

But no, I'm not a doctor. I'm also not a dumbass who trusts somebody implicitly because they have an ill fitting sheepskin and a government job.
Old May 4th 20, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 5:23:41 PM UTC-4, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
[...]

It didn't happen. We're working on it.

T8
Old May 4th 20, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Flew yesterday , been flying all thru this mess, landed out, oh well, met a real nice farmer, got retreaved brought back to the club. less exposure in all of that activity than getting gas or getting groceries! No I didn’t wear a mask, no I am not worried. Some folks need to learn how to apply some common sense.

Now as a result of all this lingering panic we have no contests, limited flying and a pending serious depression. Those who are old, scared, or with compromised immune systems need to stay home and let the rest of us go on with our lives.
Old May 4th 20, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderCZ

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 3:29:12 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

Expertise and education be damned! We all have Google now!
Old May 4th 20, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

From someone in the thread, "Covid may indeed be similar to flu but as you have stated, currently there is no immunity."

Maybe I am not following clearly, but I keep hearing we've tested so many hundreds of thousands across the US, and (you choose a number) 10-40% respond as Covid-exposed, and then of those only a smattering need health care, maybe 10%, and of those - 90% recover.

If we've been exposed, and are still living, with or without symptoms, aren't we in the process of creating this mystical "herd immunity"? Aren't we creating immunity by fighting off death by Covid?

I do know that by being given a vaccine, we give ourselves a little bit of the bad thing and startle our bodies into creating warriors to fight a bigger batch of the enemy, if it shows up.

I do agree with the process of eating dirt, breathing pollen, playing contact sports and ramping up our bodies to be athletically strong. In my own lifestyle, I contact few people, get lots of sunshine, lots of wind (40g65 this week) and figure that those puny Covid molecules can be whizzing by. I do wash hands more often now after visiting stores. But I really dislike the masks.

My vote -- be sensible and get back to life. And to flying.
I think at some point, folks will just do that anyway.
Or, the nanny state will just implode financially, and we'll be on our own to choose our actions.

Who benefits from this chaos? Anyone who wants to see a different 'leadership' financially/religiously/politically . . . . as long as they have the cash reserves to be insulated from the mess. That can be a pretty big list of possibilities.

Cindy B

Old May 4th 20, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 9:15:22 PM UTC-4, GliderCZ wrote:
[...]

If your experts are so expert why are medical mistakes the number 3 killer in America? Politically connected labcoats are charlatans serving something other than the public good. Thankfully people are realizing their own common sense is the only answer. Before you take a Fauci recommendation I suggest you research how well his approval of AZT worked out.