2-33 Trailer Trivia

Old July 24th 20, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Default 2-33 Trailer Trivia

So I bought a 2-33 trailer. Some patina, a bit of rust but nothing serious. Tare measured 920 lbs and it appears to be built to the plans sold for such things. Very light, easy to handle even by myself. Really do like how it is put together.

The axle is a 5 ton with 12 inch overkill break drums and 8-14.5 mobile home trailer tires and rims. I discovered last weekend while towing it back that this size tire isn't exactly easy to find on a weekend in Wisconsin or Illinois. Or Missouri (though I kind of gave up South of St. Louis).

Other than hauling two project sailplanes back the only other excuse I can come up with for replacing the axle is maybe a landout or hauling it from one club to a different club once the aircraft is ready to fly.

What's the consensus on the hazards of using cheaply made one time use mobile home axles to haul sailplanes?
Old July 24th 20, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How hard would it be to mount two spares? Don't buy them until shortly before a trip?
Old July 24th 20, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Cheap axles are fine, if you are hauling cheap ****.

No comment on the suitability for a 2-33. It would be redundant.
Old July 24th 20, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Friday, July 24, 2020 at 1:39:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Cheap axles are fine, if you are hauling cheap ****.

No comment on the suitability for a 2-33. It would be redundant.

As much as I'd like an ASK 21 they're a little over my budget at the moment. If the elections go well, maybe I'll be able to upscale a bit next year
Old July 24th 20, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Shaun Wheeler wrote on 7/24/2020 10:49 AM:
So I bought a 2-33 trailer. Some patina, a bit of rust but nothing serious. Tare measured 920 lbs and it appears to be built to the plans sold for such things. Very light, easy to handle even by myself. Really do like how it is put together.

The axle is a 5 ton with 12 inch overkill break drums and 8-14.5 mobile home trailer tires and rims. I discovered last weekend while towing it back that this size tire isn't exactly easy to find on a weekend in Wisconsin or Illinois. Or Missouri (though I kind of gave up South of St. Louis).

Other than hauling two project sailplanes back the only other excuse I can come up with for replacing the axle is maybe a landout or hauling it from one club to a different club once the aircraft is ready to fly.

What's the consensus on the hazards of using cheaply made one time use mobile home axles to haul sailplanes?

I suggest it will last a long time, since the load you are hauling is a lot
lighter than load a mobile home puts on it. Maybe you can replace the wheels so
you have a better selection of tires.

Approach trivia blanche cohen Piloting 3 July 8th 07 05:23 PM
More SR-71 trivia Jay Honeck Piloting 4 July 1st 05 04:16 AM
Trivia ?: 1st NFO CAG Mike Weeks Naval Aviation 0 July 22nd 04 07:05 PM