Transition from iOS to Windows PC

Old April 8th 21, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix

Default Transition from iOS to Windows PC

I will be having a ClearNav2 installed soon and will need to purchase a PC for utilizing this system. I'm an Apple guy at present. What do you recommend for an inexpensive PC to be used solely for the CN2? Alternately, is there an option for using a MacBook Air with the CN2?
Old April 8th 21, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MMOORE

Run windows as a VM on your Mac - https://www.virtualbox.org/
W10 ISO - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO

Old April 8th 21, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Probably talking the same thing but, during my very short time with an
iMac, while switching it to Linux I learned of something caled "Boot
Camp" which is a way of creating a Windows system on your Mac. It will
still run Apple software, too.

Dan
5J

Old April 9th 21, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I would no sooner put Windows on my Mac than I would have a hooker sleep in my bed. Buy a cheap PC (i.e., any PC) buy a VERY good anti-virus software for the PC. It also pays to buy a
PC with a SSD. Some of those may have been inside words, but...

Old April 9th 21, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I would be very leery of a really cheap PC. I bought a $150 Dell
Inspiron 3180 and immediately regretted it. It comes with 32 GB of eMMC
(half of which is reserved as a recovery drive) in place of a disk or
SSD and it is not upgradeable (I tried). The chip is a flat square
package without leads and is installed by assembly machines.

A Windows10 update uses up all of the available space and the thing runs
like a snail. In fact, after the first or second Windows update, it
would no longer perform the update due to limited storage space. I
didn't want to bother with all of the system maintenance that would be
required to keep it limping along.

So... I partitioned the eMMC to a single drive and installed Ubuntu.
Now the thing works but is still disappointing from a quality of
materials standpoint.

And I don't need a Windows PC to maintain my ClearNav II. All of the
software maintenance functions can be done on any computer so I handle
those with Ubuntu Linux. The CNII is so intuitive that you won't need
the simulator after a few flights. And if I must use the sim, I can run
it in Wine, a program that allows running of Windows programs on a Linux
machine.

If you absolutely must have a Windows PC, look on ebay for a certified
used machine. I got a 21.5" iMac there for $275 and free shipping. I
immediately installed Ubuntu.

Dan
5J

Old April 9th 21, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 09 Apr 2021 12:22:03 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

I would be very leery of a really cheap PC. I bought a $150 Dell
Inspiron 3180 and immediately regretted it. It comes with 32 GB of eMMC
(half of which is reserved as a recovery drive) in place of a disk or
SSD and it is not upgradeable (I tried). The chip is a flat square
package without leads and is installed by assembly machines.

You could also look on eBay for 'pro or 'semi-pro' Lenovo laptops.

I have a 15 year old Lenovo R61i thats running well (new screen, two new
fans, and the original 120GB HDD replaced with a 128GB SanDisk SSD)
though its battery (easily replaceable) is probably down to an hour or
two run time. I don't ca the machine runs on mains 99.9% of the time.
That was bought new.

I also have a 4 year old Lenovo T440, bought off FleaBay for GBP 300 (USD
415) with 8GB RAM and a 500GB HDD and also used every day. No problems
with it at all and a recent check shows its battery is showing no signs
of ageing. This also runs on mains power 99.9% of the time.

Both systems have run RedHat Fedora Linux since about 5 minutes after I
first got my hands on them. All my gliding software runs on them
including the desktop version of LK8000.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 11th 21, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

All -

Be advised that "Boot Camp" (which Dan mentioned) only works for Macs using an Intel CPU (basically, devices made between about 2008 and mid-2020).

Now that Apple has switched to their own "M1" CPU, Boot camp will no longer work.

For M1 compatibility with software solutions for running Windows on a Mac (such as Parallels and Virtual Box), check with software manufacturer - this is still an evolving situation.

Take care,

--Noel