Rate of climb

Old April 17th 04, 09:39 PM
Dillon Pyron

Default Rate of climb

The newest "tallest building" is the Taipei 101, at over 1650 ft.

What is truly amazing are the elevators, which ascend at a rate of
over 3300 ft/min. As my wife pointed out, "my poor eardrums". Can
you get an embolism at that rate? (I'm a diver, getting a bubble is a
major issue).

--
dillon

Life is always short, but only you can make it sweet
Old April 18th 04, 12:20 AM
Alan Baker

In article ,
Dillon Pyron wrote:

The newest "tallest building" is the Taipei 101, at over 1650 ft.

What is truly amazing are the elevators, which ascend at a rate of
over 3300 ft/min. As my wife pointed out, "my poor eardrums". Can
you get an embolism at that rate? (I'm a diver, getting a bubble is a
major issue).

Think about it for a moment.

Divers get emboli because the pressure increases one atmosphere for
every 33 feet or so.

So coming up even 100 feet is a severe change in pressure.

By definition, the pressure in air decreases only 1 atmosphere in some
like 60 *miles*. So even though a rapid ascent to the top of the Taipei
101 might be a little uncomfortable on the ears, the overall change in
pressure is unlikely to be as much as one tenth of an atmosphere.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old May 7th 04, 10:48 PM
tongaloa

Dillon Pyron wrote:
The newest "tallest building" is the Taipei 101, at over 1650 ft.

What is truly amazing are the elevators, which ascend at a rate of
over 3300 ft/min. As my wife pointed out, "my poor eardrums". Can
you get an embolism at that rate? (I'm a diver, getting a bubble is a
major issue).

Great elevators!
It's no fun waiting.

Here is altimeter if you want to watch the change.
$195 plus ship from Atlanta.
Nice antique Wallace and Tiernan
http://photos.edebris.com/catalog/item/291

-Bob

Old May 8th 04, 01:08 PM
Kevin Horton

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:39:57 +0000, Dillon Pyron wrote:

The newest "tallest building" is the Taipei 101, at over 1650 ft.

What is truly amazing are the elevators, which ascend at a rate of over
3300 ft/min. As my wife pointed out, "my poor eardrums". Can you get an
embolism at that rate? (I'm a diver, getting a bubble is a major issue).

There are lots of unpressurized aircraft that can do zoom climbs at more
than 3300 ft/min for more than 1650 ft. And the pilots flying them don't
get embolisms.

The atmospheric pressure change for a climb of 1650 ft is a tiny fraction
of the pressure change you contend with when diving. The atmospheric
pressure will drop about 0.9 psi on that elevator ride. But going from
33 ft under the ocean to the surface is a pressure drop of about 14.7 psi.
So that elevator ride is not quite as severe as going from 2 ft under the
water to the surface.

You worry too much
--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada

Boeing 757 turn rate? Garyurbach Aerobatics 6 June 14th 04 04:43 PM
Parasitic drag question Derek Anderson Home Built 11 March 13th 04 11:21 PM
BD5B Big John Home Built 36 November 19th 03 12:07 AM
Air Flow Rate for Rotax Calvin R. Walker Home Built 0 November 14th 03 03:17 AM