Problem using Thunderbird for newsgroups ??

Old February 28th 05, 12:21 AM
Montblack

Default Problem using Thunderbird for newsgroups ??

I'm using Mozilla/Firefox instead of M$ Internet Explorer. I've also
switched over to (free) Thunderbird, from using M$ Outlook Express 6.0. (So
far I'm OK-happy with this combination)

I've been reading these newsgroups with Outlook Express since 1998. I'm
familiar with it and I like it. Comfort level: High. Since Thunderbird is so
similar, I'm also comfortable with it.

Here's my problem:

I can not get Thunderbird to clean up old posts the way M$ OE 6.0 does.

(In OE 6.0 -- Right click on whatever newsgroup/Properties/Local
File/Delete) See, I don't enjoy scolling through an archive of thousands of
posts. (That's what Google is for)

In OE 6.0, I like downloading new posts into an empty (clean) message pane a
couple of times per day, reading them, then deleting them. If I want to save
anything I drag it over to a FLYING folder. Sent posts are automatically
saved in my ....Sent folder.

I'm still using OE for newsgroups because of this "one" feature.

Any suggestions? Thunderbird won't even let me delete a single newsgroup
post like I would do if I were cleaning up the Inbox of old e-mails. How do
I get rid of old newsgroup posts with Thunderbird?

Montblack

Old February 28th 05, 12:42 AM
Aardvark

Montblack wrote:

Any suggestions? Thunderbird won't even let me delete a single newsgroup
post like I would do if I were cleaning up the Inbox of old e-mails. How do
I get rid of old newsgroup posts with Thunderbird?

Montblack

Change "View" from "All" to "Unread"

Old February 28th 05, 01:11 AM
John Halpenny

Montblack wrote:

[...]

I'm using Netscape - an old, old predecessor. You cannot "delete" posts from a
newsgroup, you "mark as read" and then " show only unread " posts. If you could
delete posts, us slower folk would never get to see them:-)

John Halpenny

Old February 28th 05, 01:52 AM
John Ousterhout

Montblack wrote:
[...]

I also recently changed to Thunderbird (From Eudora email and Agent
Newsreader) I'm happy with the switch. I switched from IE to Mozilla
in 2003 and to Firebird last summer.

On Thunderbird if I select the oldest message in a group I get the
following message:

Error!
newsgroup server responded:No Such Article In Group
Perhaps the article has expired
(246377)
Click here to remove all expired articles

I click and those messages not on my News server are gone from my PC.

By selecting "View Unread" I only see the new messages.

Alas, Thunderbird still lacks great help. But it's getting better all
the time.

- J.O.-
Old February 28th 05, 01:49 PM
Denny

John, using the newest stuff on the block supposedly insulates you from
hackers, etc.. But, only until there is enough chatter on usenet to
interest the pimply faced scum, then like a tsunami they are there...
It is already happening with Mac's, Mozilla, etc...
Because I'm a business the servers and networks in my office are tied
to Windows Server 2003 and use IE for the interface to the web... Even
if I wanted to change, the software support folks won't agree to take
on oddball programs at any price... But, because I am commercial -
and paying the usual commercial rates for my software and support
systems sob - I don't have virus and hacker problems... zero, zip,
nada, and my servors are on 24/7... ya gets what ya pay for...
denny

Old March 1st 05, 04:17 AM
Doug Carter

John Ousterhout wrote:

On Thunderbird if I select the oldest message in a group I get the
following message:

Error!
newsgroup server responded:No Such Article In Group
Perhaps the article has expired
(246377)
Click here to remove all expired articles

I click and those messages not on my News server are gone from my PC.

By selecting "View Unread" I only see the new messages.

Alas, Thunderbird still lacks great help. But it's getting better all
the time.

I've been using Thunderbird on FreeBSD and Mac OSX since about version
..7 (currently 1.0). Never noticed this problem.

GEM 1200 Problem Jim Kaufeld Owning 11 March 22nd 04 04:54 AM
A problem in the Military ? Nick Jade Military Aviation 54 March 15th 04 08:59 PM
Great shot of the Thunderbird F-16 Ejection Jay Honeck Piloting 51 February 3rd 04 11:31 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Home Built 78 December 3rd 03 10:10 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Owning 77 December 3rd 03 10:10 PM