2020 Accidents & Insurance, usa

Old May 19th 20, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

Default 2020 Accidents & Insurance, usa

There has been less flying this spring due to Covid-19, yet a 30% increase in horrific accidents in the US 2019 vs. 2020.
A letter went out today urging several good ideas to consider by clubs and businesses to help reverse this trend.
Webinars, ground school sessions, additional dual checks before return to solo flight, simulator training, all offer methods to keep our brains & skills sharper.

This past Saturday was our first flight day since early March.
I spent :30 before first launch in a session like my Convention NTSB talks, where we diagnose what could
POSSIBLY have created the kiting fatality.
The 3 students and one rated pilot, plus towpilot, all had good ideas. Possibilities offered we
Weight & balance, lack of recency, poor skills, incorrect trim, crazy weather, wrong towhook CG vs nose.
But none had the 'distraction' answer that was likely the Byron cause.

I added a round of talking about canopy openings (prevalence) 2 of 5 present (not me) had direct experience!

Where do you put your left hand during launch? Does it have as productive job? I teach to block spoilers closed, Not Holding that handle, blocking.

Then we covered how our normal ops could provide distractions (falling radio, incomplete checklists, launch chattycathys, startled passengers, etc).
Then we covered what I view as our site's specific greatest risk.

The 2 students made a dual flight first. The rated member took a higher than minimum tow ( on my urging).

We are not immune to accidents here, but I do my damndest to forestall that outcome.

I also teach addressing progressive laudable sites in the departure climb. From June 2018, free and at this link....

https://www.ssa.org/webinar/Takeoff%...d%20Them. mp4

Please. Please, soar safely.
Cindy B
Old May 19th 20, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

Landable.
Not laudable....cant figure out how to edit it. Sheesh.
Cindy
Old May 19th 20, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 7:09:25 PM UTC-4, CindyB wrote:
Landable.
Not laudable....cant figure out how to edit it. Sheesh.
Cindy

Otto Korrekt strikes again?

You efforts are laudable! :-)
Old May 19th 20, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 4:19:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 7:09:25 PM UTC-4, CindyB wrote:
Landable.
Not laudable....cant figure out how to edit it. Sheesh.
Cindy

Otto Korrekt strikes again?

You efforts are laudable! :-)

Ah yes - what to do with the left hand! In the UK, they teach that the release should be firmly grasped during take-off. Definitely a good idea for winch launches, but IMHO not so great for aerotow. In many gliders, holding the release then obscures the spoiler handle with your arm so you can't visually check it. I was taught by my German instructor to do as Cindy says and either block or gently hold the brake handle to ensure it really is closed.

Mike
Old May 19th 20, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K8

FWIW, I’ll humbly share the last ditch, immediately pre-launch safety check that I’ve been using since watching a 1-34 canopy come open on YouTube. (Thanks to the pilot that posted that!) It’s 1...2....3...go. 1 is verifying that the canopy is latched, 2 is verifying that the spoilers are locked, 3 is verifying that trim set and go is the rudder wag. No flaps on my glider or I’d incorporate those into this check as well. Obviously, this is in addition to and not in lieu of running a checklist. If anyone else finds this technique useful, great!

Be safe out there!
Old May 20th 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Some of the major contributing factors to the accident, incident and loss rates is a cultural problem that has its foundation in poor training, procedures and cockpit discipline. The SSF has been preaching and trying to effect change on these issues for a long time. A number of clubs/operators and instructors have been trying to make some headway on these issues. It’s frustrating as a lot of the problems are just the same now as they were years ago, there is no “new” way to crash a glider/towplane.

Overall I’ve seen a number of pilots trying to do the right thing, displaying a great attitude towards continuous quality improvements, studying, reading, training, seeking instruction and working on their weak areas.

I’ve also seen and heard a number of pilots displaying hazardous attitudes, tremendous macho egos, lack of awareness, poor skills, complacency and inability to listen or understand the implications of not operating safely. This group is very hard to change as this they tend to not listen, learn or even understand. I’ve heard the term “safety nazis” when referring to pilots/instructors or operations that simply are trying to do the right things.

Small sport, getting smaller all the time. Small insurance pool, getting smaller all the time. Insurance claims getting larger all the time. Self insure because one states “I just won’t crash” hasn’t worked out for several pilots I know.

The reality is there is a cancer in the sport, it might be too late to save it but that damn sure doesn’t mean I will quit trying. It’s incumbent on us as pilots, operators and instructors to hold the line, to be willing take steps to educate, train, role model and lead the sport on a better path.

With rights and privileges go responsibility.

Regards, Tom
Old May 20th 20, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Hi Cindy:
I think that you are correct that the chief cause of most glider kiting accidents is glider pilot distraction. And, in my experience there are two major causes of glider pilot distraction on tow: 1) canopy opening in flight 2) suction cup mounted gadgets (Go-Pros, Ipads, Nooks, etc.) coming unstuck and falling somewhere in the cockpit). The former can be addressed by adherence to checklists. The latter I think should be banned entirely in favor of hard mounted device holders. My club has done that.
Roy
Old May 20th 20, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 4:14:19 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
Hi Cindy:
I think that you are correct that the chief cause of most glider kiting accidents is glider pilot distraction. And, in my experience there are two major causes of glider pilot distraction on tow: 1) canopy opening in flight 2) suction cup mounted gadgets (Go-Pros, Ipads, Nooks, etc.) coming unstuck and falling somewhere in the cockpit). The former can be addressed by adherence to checklists. The latter I think should be banned entirely in favor of hard mounted device holders. My club has done that.
Roy

Yup, suction mounts suck. They also may mar the canopy if that's where they are attached. If you need a temporary mount for something like a GoPro use plenty of gaffers tape (not on the canopy).
Old May 21st 20, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

How many times can we sanctimoniously point to checklist errors?

All that demonstrates is that people screw up from time to time.

The training curriculum is totally silent on handling:

* a loose canopy, especially side opening.
* cockpit distractions such as cameras and other gadgets coming loose and bouncing about.

Mostly this stuff happens on launch and when it suddenly happens the pilot gets to improvise with varying degrees of success/failure.

My two launch principles a

1. Hand on release
2. Touch nothing else but trim (happily mine's on the stick).

Well OK, the manual for my glider recommends changing flap during the ground run on aerotow and I did once close spoilers after discovering a bounce had popped them open.

I set up altimeter and electronics, check flaps, trim and spoilers locked BEFORE entering the cockpit. Once seated, I do the entire checklist.
Old May 21st 20, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

It’s not that we are pointing out lack of checklist discipline “ sanctimoniously”, it’s because when do a flight review or or other instruction with someone who has flown a single place ship for years I often see non-compliance, odd made up procedures or a complete breakdown of procedures. Pilots can and do get away with this, until they don’t.

Checklists are not the only problem or answer but certainly if one treats it like a profession that lives are at risk around and no matter if they are paid or not act professionally the chances of a problem are less.

If one isn’t interested in improving, learning or hearing then there’s not a lot we can do other than try to manage that on a operational level.

Regards, Tom

Uvalde 2020 7K Soaring 6 May 3rd 20 05:07 AM
ELY 2020 [email protected] Soaring 16 March 28th 20 04:53 AM
Uvalde Pre Pre Pre WGC 2020 7K Soaring 0 March 27th 20 12:35 AM
2020 contests [email protected] Soaring 6 May 24th 19 01:41 AM
Ways of Getting The Lowest Possible Life Insurance Rates.( lowestlife insurance rates) [email protected] Piloting 0 March 23rd 08 10:21 AM