A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

TV1 Trailer (L33 solo) Parts?

Old June 20th 20, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler
external usenet poster

Default TV1 Trailer (L33 solo) Parts?

Have not had much success with AL-KO (US) by telephone and their email server seems to block anything I send.

I need to replace spindle, bearings and hub assembly on the right (passenger? lol) side but it looks like the entire "A" frame chassis is a Euro only item.

At this point I'd be happy to just remove the bolts and take the existing axle off and put something else on, even if I have to weld it to the chassis.. I tow with a Tundra (not a family sedan) so I could care less about the surge brakes though they're awfully handy for assembling.

Anybody got a parts list for the TV1 or the AL-KO chassis? Or replaced one with an american made?
Old June 20th 20, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Shaun
Several pilots report having good luck with a replacement axle from DEXTER AXLE
Pretty cheap too.
If you have a trailer brake wired into you car you can get that option too.
I personally think electric trailer brakes are the way to go, much safer and they really work.
Good Luck
Get a whole new assembly and you should be trouble free for many years, just make sure your spare tire fits your new set up
Nick
T

Old June 20th 20, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler
external usenet poster

Thanks, Nick.

That seems to be the direction I'm going. The original chassis probably does a fine job with passenger cars. I'm towing with a Tundra that has the towing package installed so I'm definitely looking for the electric brakes.

So far Al-KO USA has not impressed me. I put my call in around 9am CST. Every other call went to voice mail hell. There also seems to be quite a robust spam filter on their email. So I get the message - they're not really interested in selling parts. Oh well.....lol
Old June 21st 20, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

I've had good luck sourcing AL-KO parts from https://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk/ . Their shipping across the pond is prompt, good prices, and a great selection. Replace various things for a bunch of club trailers that had been underloved.

Dan
not associated with them
Old June 21st 20, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler
external usenet poster

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 8:11:27 PM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:
I've had good luck sourcing AL-KO parts from https://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk/ . Their shipping across the pond is prompt, good prices, and a great selection. Replace various things for a bunch of club trailers that had been underloved.

Dan
not associated with them

Thank you, Dan.

I'm going to dig a bit. I'd like to keep the OEM equipment if it's supported. If I get my private knocked out this year I plan on going to New Mexico and Arizona to do some flying. The idea of being stuck that far out with something that has parts issues just gives me chills.
Old June 27th 20, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler
external usenet poster

Update - YMMWV

Taunton no longer ships to the US. They are responsive and for those in the UK they may be a great solution.

I'm not sure where the Blanik US advice came from that these are Knott parts but, the overwhelming evidence is the one I own is all AL-KO European. Allowing for lead time and the future, the Dexter axles seemed like a better choice so.....I ordered one.

The arm (Torsion arm) is slightly shorter than the AL-KO. There is no (trust me on this) direct Dexter replacement, despite the ad hype you'll find on their website. Once I have it working I'll post the specs so that anybody else who has to deal with this can (hopefully) benefit from my experience.