A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Two Seat Cobra Trailer Tire Replacement

Old April 27th 21, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Cleveland
external usenet poster

Default Two Seat Cobra Trailer Tire Replacement

I have a 2009 Cobra trailer designed for a two seat glider. The tires need replacement. The original tires are of size 195/70R14.

I cannot find the direct replacement trailer tires in the United States. I can find passenger tires of the same size, but not trailer tires. There are a couple of trailer tires manufactured of the size 195/75D14. These tires are relatively the same size (0.5" taller), but they are bias ply tires, not radial ply.

It looks like I will have to make a choice between either using a passenger/light truck radial tire or a bias ply trailer tire. Any thoughts on this?

I'm sure there are many folks out there who have the same Cobra trailer. What do you use for a replacement tire?

David Cleveland
Old April 27th 21, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 3:35:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a 2009 Cobra trailer designed for a two seat glider. The tires need replacement. The original tires are of size 195/70R14.

I cannot find the direct replacement trailer tires in the United States. I can find passenger tires of the same size, but not trailer tires. There are a couple of trailer tires manufactured of the size 195/75D14. These tires are relatively the same size (0.5" taller), but they are bias ply tires, not radial ply.

It looks like I will have to make a choice between either using a passenger/light truck radial tire or a bias ply trailer tire. Any thoughts on this?

I'm sure there are many folks out there who have the same Cobra trailer. What do you use for a replacement tire?

David Cleveland

I have been using auto tires for many years with no negative consequences. The load from the trailer is less than the
cars they normally are used on.
FWIW
UH
Old April 27th 21, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R[_4_]
external usenet poster

Trailer tires have thicker sidewalls which give less swaying, tail wagging at higher speeds or by wind. As you have a heavy ship, I would spend the money and effort to find the ideal trailer tire, even if it is bias tire. But, If you travel very little, pull at 60.....go convenient, car tire....but do not mention trailer at the front desk.
R
Old April 27th 21, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Good
external usenet poster

I've done several hundred thousand miles towing Cobra trailers on good-quality auto / light truck tires - with no problems. I believe it is important - especially for a two-seater trailer - that the tires have the right "load index" (weight rating).

I was once persuaded to buy high-quality trailer-specific tires for my single-place trailer - expensive (about 30% more than good radial auto tires) but were claimed to be worth the premium. For whatever reason, they proved to be the worst tires I ever used - hopelessly worn after 12,000 miles. In the small town where I discovered the problem, the only tires available in my size were some alarmingly cheap off-brand auto radials that looked like they might cover the 2100 miles to home; they lasted 50k miles.
Old April 27th 21, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Reid
external usenet poster

My newer Cobra trailer came with these tires in the same size that you are looking for. They have an N speed rating of 87 mph.

https://www.tireoutlet.com/tires/mak...gomax-st-4000/

Mike
Old April 27th 21, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 3:35:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:

David Cleveland

Try the Discount Tire Store chain.
https://www.discounttire.com/fitment...size/195-70-14
They show plenty of tires in that original size but I would guess they are meant for passenger cars. However, if others have pointed out, that seems to be less of a concern that previously thought.

Uli
'AS'
Old April 27th 21, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Cleveland
external usenet poster

All good replies. Sounds like a high load index passenger car/light truck tire may be the best option absent a dedicated trailer tire. I agree that the trailer tires have a different construction, one being stiffer sidewalls. The stiffer sidewall prevents swaying. My concern with bias ply tires is that they would wear faster and also be prone to swaying.

Having said that, I must admit that even at my advanced age, I never had the opportunity to use bias ply tires. As I became of auto age, radial tires were plentiful and inexpensive (relatively).

Ralf from Alfred Spindelberger mentioned that they ship Cobra trailers with "C" rated (Cargo) tires. Cargo tires are constructed with stiffer sidewalls and are overall more heavy duty. That's the type of tire Mike mentioned. His link is to a local Florida chain, but I was able to find a store in the Salt Lake City area where I live that advertises the same tire. We shall see.

David
Old April 27th 21, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 4/27/2021 6:26 AM, R wrote:
Trailer tires have thicker sidewalls which give less swaying, tail wagging at higher speeds or by wind. As you have a heavy ship, I would spend the money and effort to find the ideal trailer tire, even if it is bias tire. But, If you travel very little, pull at 60.....go convenient, car tire....but do not mention trailer at the front desk.

Bias tires are cheaper: that is their only advantage. At least, get radial
trailer tires, or even better, find an LT (Light Truck) tire, and you will have
a more stable trailer.

It's worth remembering bias ply tires do not have the cornering tread stiffness
of radials, and it's that tread stiffness that's important for stability. It's
not the thicker sidewall itself that makes the difference, but the significantly
higher tire pressures used by trailer and LT tires, compared to auto tires.

I do agree trailer bias ply tires will likely be adequate if you stay below 60
mph, and don't travel much.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old April 27th 21, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Cleveland
external usenet poster

Good point, Eric. I didn't think about the higher pressure. That makes sense.

David
Old April 27th 21, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 4/27/2021 1:32 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 4/27/2021 6:26 AM, R wrote:
Trailer tires have thicker sidewalls which give less swaying, tail wagging at
higher speeds or by wind. As you have a heavy ship, I would spend the money
and effort to find the ideal trailer tire, even if it is bias tire. But, If
you travel very little, pull at 60.....go convenient, car tire....but do not
mention trailer at the front desk.

Bias tires are cheaper: that is their only advantage. At least, get radial
trailer tires, or even better, find an LT (Light Truck) tire, and you will have
a more stable trailer.

It's worth remembering bias ply tires do not have the cornering tread stiffness
of radials, and it's that tread stiffness that's important for stability. It's
not the thicker sidewall itself that makes the difference, but the significantly
higher tire pressures used by trailer and LT tires, compared to auto tires.

I do agree trailer bias ply tires will likely be adequate if you stay below 60
mph, and don't travel much.

I did some comparative testing of trailer tires (bias and radial) and LT truck
tires in 2017. Spoiler alert: LT tires won. Send me an email and I'll send the
article about the tests to you:

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1