Why Isn't Vx The Best Rate Of Climb?

Old September 26th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
RandyL

Default Why Isn't Vx The Best Rate Of Climb?

Here is something that I have always wondered about, but have yet to
hear a good explanation for. Vx is the best angle of climb speed for an
aircraft. Vy is the best rate of climb for an aircraft. I can't seem to
visualize why Vx is not the best rate of climb. To my feeble way of
thinking, Vx - the best climb angle - gets you to the highest altitude in
the shortest period of time, no? Why is that not the best rate of climb? I
hope someone can enlighten me on this. I know that there must be a good
explanation, but as I said, I just can't visualize it. Thanks...

Randy L.
--
Remember: Any landing that you can
walk away from, is a landing that you

Old September 26th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
peter

RandyL wrote:
Here is something that I have always wondered about, but have yet to
hear a good explanation for. Vx is the best angle of climb speed for an
aircraft. Vy is the best rate of climb for an aircraft. I can't seem to
visualize why Vx is not the best rate of climb. To my feeble way of
thinking, Vx - the best climb angle - gets you to the highest altitude in
the shortest period of time, no?

No, Vx will get you to a given altitude while covering the shortest
distance, but not generally in the shortest time. When climbing at a
steeper angle the plane will be going slower so even though Vx will get
you there in a shorter distance you'll get there a little quicker by
choosing a slightly shallower angle that lets you go faster, i.e. Vy.

It's similar to choosing whether to climb a mountain by either going
straight up the side in which case you may need ropes and make very
slow progress, or by hiking up the less steep switchback trail in which
case you'll have to go farther but will be able to go faster.

Old September 26th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
John Gaquin

"RandyL" wrote in message

Here is something that I have always wondered about, but have yet to
hear a good explanation for. Vx is the best angle of climb speed for an
aircraft. Vy is the best rate of climb for an aircraft. I can't seem to
visualize why Vx is not the best rate of climb.

Vy is time, and Vx is distance.

The key, Randy, is to look at what the definition says and consider the
words carefully. Best rate of climb considers feet of climb per unit of
time past, without considering distance travelled at all. Best angle of
climb considers feet of climb per unit of distance travelled, without
considering time at all.

.....To my feeble way of thinking, Vx - the best climb angle -

NO. There's part of your difficulty, possibly. Stick with the proper
terminology. Don't switch words around, because they mean something. "Best
angle of climb" is not necessarily the same thing as "best climb angle".

Old September 26th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Peter Duniho

"RandyL" wrote in message
Here is something that I have always wondered about, but have yet to
hear a good explanation for. Vx is the best angle of climb speed for an
aircraft. Vy is the best rate of climb for an aircraft. I can't seem to
visualize why Vx is not the best rate of climb. To my feeble way of
thinking, Vx - the best climb angle - gets you to the highest altitude in
the shortest period of time, no? Why is that not the best rate of climb?

I think the other two posts cover the basic definition adequately. I'll
offer a mental view that sometimes helps me understand the relationship, and
which might clarify the difference a little bit mo

Vy is about the best *rate* of climb. That is, the most vertical distance
over a period of time. Vx is about the best *angle* of climb. That is, the
most vertical distance of a horizontal distance.

That much has been explained. It may also be helpful to know that Vy occurs
when you have the most excess power, while Vx occurs when you have the most
excess thrust. Power, being a rate-based measure (that is, work (that is,
force times distance) over a period of time), winds up contributing to the
best climb performance over a period of time. On the other hand, thrust,
being a measurement of the specific force acting on the airplane (and which
is independent of time), winds up contributing to the best climb performance
when time is ignored.

I admit that the above may only be helpful if you already think in terms of
physics. But perhaps it provides some additional insight into why there
even are two different V speeds and how they relate to the definitions of
them.

Pete

Old September 26th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Roger (K8RI)

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:21:44 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"RandyL" wrote in message
[...]

You might try the reverse order too. Look at best glide speed. In
calm air the best glide speed gives you the most distance per time
unit, but traveling either faster or slower will cause you to lose
altitude faster. Now compare best rate of climb; a speed either faster
or slower (Vx) will produce less climb versus time, so although the
best angle for clearing an object at a given distance you will be
going slower then the best rate of climb, but at a steeper angle. It's
that slower speed with less lift that gives you less altitude versus
time.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old September 26th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Stefan

RandyL schrieb:

Vy is the best rate of climb for an aircraft. I can't seem to
visualize why Vx is not the best rate of climb.

Simple: The steeper you climb, the slower the airplane flyes (as long as
you don't have excessive power).

So you can climb steep but flying slow, or you can climb shallow but
flying fast. Simple calculation shows that you can optimize for shortest
distance or shortest time, but those optima need not be the same (and
usually are not).

Stefan
Old September 26th 06, 11:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Matt Whiting

RandyL wrote:
Here is something that I have always wondered about, but have yet to
hear a good explanation for. Vx is the best angle of climb speed for an
aircraft. Vy is the best rate of climb for an aircraft. I can't seem to
visualize why Vx is not the best rate of climb. To my feeble way of
thinking, Vx - the best climb angle - gets you to the highest altitude in
the shortest period of time, no? Why is that not the best rate of climb? I
hope someone can enlighten me on this. I know that there must be a good
explanation, but as I said, I just can't visualize it. Thanks...

You are forgetting that part of the equation for best angle of climb is
also speed across the ground. For example, say best rate is 1000 fpm
and best angle is 800 fpm. Now suppose that the groundspeed (assume no
wind) is 120 knots for best rate climb, but only 60 knots for best
angle. If you draw out the triangle you will see that the best angle
airspeed really does give you the steepest climb gradient even though
the rate of climb is 200 fpm lower than best rate.

Matt
Old September 26th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Steve Foley[_1_]

"RandyL" wrote in message
Here is something that I have always wondered about, but have yet to
hear a good explanation for. Vx is the best angle of climb speed for an
aircraft. Vy is the best rate of climb for an aircraft. I can't seem to
visualize why Vx is not the best rate of climb. To my feeble way of
thinking, Vx - the best climb angle - gets you to the highest altitude in
the shortest period of time, no? Why is that not the best rate of climb? I
hope someone can enlighten me on this. I know that there must be a good
explanation, but as I said, I just can't visualize it. Thanks...

How's this:

I can get up a flight of stairs in around three seconds (best rate of
climb). It will probably take me 20 seconds to climb a ladder the same
height (I hate ladders). The ladder will get me up at a much steeper angle,
hence best angle of climb. The stairs will get me there faster, hence best
rate of climb.

Old September 26th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dylan Smith

On 2006-09-26, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
You might try the reverse order too. Look at best glide speed. In
calm air the best glide speed gives you the most distance per time
unit, but traveling either faster or slower will cause you to lose
altitude faster.

Not quite - minimum sink (the speed at which you'll lose altitude at the
lowest rate) is slower than best glide.

Old September 26th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Natalie

Roger (K8RI) wrote:

You might try the reverse order too. Look at best glide speed. In
calm air the best glide speed gives you the most distance per time
unit,

NO! It gives you the most distance per altitude lost.

figuring Rate of Climb Michael Horowitz Home Built 1 June 19th 05 03:16 AM
Newbie question on Rate of Climb Wright1902Glider Home Built 0 August 17th 04 03:48 PM
Rate of climb Dillon Pyron Home Built 3 May 8th 04 01:08 PM
Angle of climb at Vx and glide angle when "overweight": five questions Koopas Ly Piloting 16 November 29th 03 10:01 PM
Minimum rate of climb or descent Aaron Kahn Instrument Flight Rules 3 July 25th 03 03:22 PM