A tower-induced go-round

Old March 17th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default A tower-induced go-round

Today we experienced a new first, when the tower controller at
Jefferson City, Missouri decided to cut a Cessa 172 in front of me on
a short right base, *after* clearing me to land on Rwy 30.

Incredulous, I slowed as much as possible, and watched as the 172 (who
was several hundred feet above us) struggled to lose enough altitude
to land safely. We were both bucking a 30 knot gusty headwind, which
-- although it allowed me to slow waaaay down -- did nothing but make
the poor, hapless Skyhawk keep flying, and flying, and flying....

Eventually he put it in a steep slip, and managed to touch down about
25% down the runway -- at which point he nearly stopped! Instead of
the tower telling the guy to land long and exit immediately -- the
runway is 6000 feet long -- the controller remained silent, as I
ground my way down final at minimum approach speed, way behind the
power curve, with a ground speed of maybe 50 knots.

Having landed at OSH and SNF a few times, I knew I was spaced just
fine -- IF the 172 would only get off the danged runway.
Unfortunately, he was in no hurry to do so, and the controller
blithely told me to "go around" in his most bored "controller voice"
-- as if he does this all day long.

Having just endured 20 minutes of fairly severe clear-air turbulence
during our descent from 7500 feet, I was *not* amused -- but bit my
tongue as I dutifully went around.

The guys in the FBO were all talking about it when we walked in.
Apparently the 172 pilot was a student (in which case he did a damned
good job getting that thing down), and the controller was...well, no
one would say what the controller was. However, I'm pretty sure we
know why he's been assigned to the deadest control tower in the
Midwest.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 17th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

Jay Honeck wrote:
Today we experienced a new first, when the tower controller at
Jefferson City, Missouri decided to cut a Cessa 172 in front of me on
a short right base, *after* clearing me to land on Rwy 30.

Incredulous, I slowed as much as possible, and watched as the 172 (who
was several hundred feet above us) struggled to lose enough altitude
to land safely.

You should have told the controller to, excuse my limited French, le
pousser oł le soleil ne brille pas.

Then you should have quoted him the right-of way rules (planes below
have right over those above, planes on approach have right over those in
the pattern), and told him that you were taking your CLEARANCE and using
the RUNWAY.

If he was routing other traffic, he should have indicated that in your
clearance. If he expected to land the Cessna before you, again it should
be indicated in your clearance (or the clearance NOT given in the first
place). He should NOT expect to route higher, slower traffic ahead of
lower, faster traffic, and he certainly should have enough time on his
hands such that he need not issue go-arounds.

I'd get me a-hold of whomever signs his paychecks, because he's not
doing his job, but YMMV.

TheSmokingGnu
Old March 17th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

On the other hand, here was a student pilot trying to land on a windy
day, and we don't know how many approaches he aborted.

It wasn't done correctly, but he assumed you had the skill to do what
was needed, and you did. Besides, flying a miss from time to time when
not expected is good for you (I read that once -- or maybe it was
something MX said).

Old March 17th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 16, 9:09 pm, TheSmokingGnu
wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

I can't agree.
Don't try telling anyone anything over the air. Land, and have a
polite discussion with the person. Leave the airways clear.

Old March 17th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tony roberts

Then you should have quoted him the right-of way rules (planes below
have right over those above, planes on approach have right over those in
the pattern), and told him that you were taking your CLEARANCE and using
the RUNWAY.

Really?
Student pilot, clear air turbulence, 30kt gusty headwind . . .

--
Tony

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Cessna 172H C-GICE
Old March 17th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 16, 7:58 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
[...]

I am not sure I would have gotten " behind the power curve" in gusty
conditions. A sooner bailout on your determination would have been
prudent. A 360 for spacing while still on final seems better then
dragging it in. After all you are PIC and responsible for the safety
of the flight. Glad you got home safely..

Ben

Old March 17th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_14_]

On 16 Mar 2007 18:58:53 -0700, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Today we experienced a new first, when the tower controller at
Jefferson City, Missouri decided to cut a Cessa 172 in front of me on
a short right base, *after* clearing me to land on Rwy 30

snipped a bunch of good stuff What type of aircraft were you flying?
--

Jim in Houston
osPAm

Old March 17th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim

TheSmokingGnu wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

Ah bull****. If the person was a student he had every right to make
modifications. He made a mistake probably.

It happens all the time. Just deal with it and keep flying. I wish all
the complaints I had about the controllers in this area were as benign
as that.
Old March 17th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS

TheSmokingGnu wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

Today we experienced a new first, when the tower controller at
Jefferson City, Missouri decided to cut a Cessa 172 in front of me on
a short right base, *after* clearing me to land on Rwy 30.

Incredulous, I slowed as much as possible, and watched as the 172 (who
was several hundred feet above us) struggled to lose enough altitude
to land safely.

You should have told the controller to, excuse my limited French, le
pousser oł le soleil ne brille pas.

Then you should have quoted him the right-of way rules (planes below
have right over those above, planes on approach have right over those in
the pattern), and told him that you were taking your CLEARANCE and using
the RUNWAY.

Why make a big deal out of a minor issue? Anyway, after a tirade like you
suggest all the controller would have had to do was tell you that your
landing clearance was now canceled and to go around.

BDS

Old March 17th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I am not sure I would have gotten " behind the power curve" in gusty
conditions. A sooner bailout on your determination would have been
prudent. A 360 for spacing while still on final seems better then
dragging it in. After all you are PIC and responsible for the safety
of the flight. Glad you got home safely..

Yeah, I thought about doing a 360, but it was so danged gusty that
turning at low altitude was very uncomfortable. (More for the family
than for me, of course.)

It was one of those days where, if you kept the wind on your nose, it
wasn't bad, but as soon as you turned and had the relative gusts
hitting you from the side, things got rolly-polly pretty quickly.
Nothing more uncomfortable (for me, anyway) than having turbulence
trying to lift the high wing to vertical in a turn.

Having landed at OSH and SNF a bunch of times, I'm pretty used to slow
flight and close spacing. Everything would have worked out, if the
controller had told the 172 to land long and exit immediately -- but
it wasn't to be.

No big deal, but at the end of a very long flight it was more work
than I needed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Round Engines john smith Piloting 20 February 15th 07 04:31 AM
induced airflow buttman Piloting 3 February 19th 06 05:36 AM
Round Engines Voxpopuli Naval Aviation 16 May 31st 05 06:48 PM
Source of Induced Drag Ken Kochanski Soaring 2 January 10th 04 01:18 AM
Predicting ground effects on induced power Marc Shorten Soaring 0 October 28th 03 12:18 PM