Exam-O-Grams

Old March 30th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Exam-O-Grams

Hello all!

I was recently in a local used book store, and on their aviation shelf,
there was a bound copy (if staples count as binding) of FAA publication
AAC-45C, containing VFR and IFR "Exam-O-Grams". Using the search at
the FAA, plus a little Googling of both the Web and Usenet, seems to
show that these are no longer published by the FAA or anyone else.
There was one hit on the FAA site in a presentation that recommended
re-starting the program, and one hit in this group of someone asking for
a copy of one of them, but not much else.

The description on the index page says:

"Exam-O-Grams are brief and timely explanations of important
aeronautical knowledge items. These items include concepts and
procedures that are critical to aviation safety, common misconceptions
among airman applications, and areas which cause general difficulty in
written tests.

Exam-O-Grams are developed on a continuing basis, only as needs arise,
and not on a regularly scheduled basis. They are distributed free (one
copy per request) to airman applicants, pilots, ground and flight
instructors, educational institutions, airman training centers, flying
clubs, and other interested groups and individuals. Exam-O-Grams may
be reproduced without further permission from FAA."

Would scanned copies of these be useful to anyone? Or are there better,
more modern materials that have taken their place?

I have access to a scanner with a page feeder, so scanning them isn't
too much of a job. One caveat is that this is an older publication; the
revision dates for the VFR pages run from 8/1964 to 1/1977 and for the
IFR pages from 8/1965 to 1/1977. Some of them are probably still
perfectly valid and true, but I'm sure there have been enough changes
in 30+ years to make some of them partly or totally obsolete, and I
would prefer not to put wrong information out there.

I've scanned in a few pages already as a test. Right now they should
print at 300 dpi on an 8.5"x11" page, so the files are somewhat large
at about 500 kb each. Here's the VFR index page:
http://members.cox.net/mroberds/eog-vfr-index.png

And here's VFR #9:
http://members.cox.net/mroberds/eog-vfr-009-01.png
http://members.cox.net/mroberds/eog-vfr-009-02.png

The above images are a first cut. If many people want copies, I might
reduce the resolution (for smaller file size), and I will probably
convert them to PDF. PDF may not be the "best" file format for this,
but from past experience, it has the great advantage that it usually
comes out the right size when printed.

Or, if this whole thing is a silly idea, let me know that too.

Matt Roberds

Old March 30th 07, 10:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 05:55:11 GMT, wrote in
:

[kind, constructive offer snipped]

Or, if this whole thing is a silly idea, let me know that too.

Matt Roberds

How can more information be a silly idea? Thanks.

Old March 30th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Before the "web" the Exam-O-Gram was a method for the FAA to
answer questions and clear up misunderstood questions from
the limited number of written test questions.

They are public domain and they can be reprinted and
distributed for free or sold at a profit. But most are
obsolete, dealing with airspace and other regulatory matters
that have changed greatly in the past 30 years.

But with a disclaimer, that states clearly that they are
historical and may not be current or correct, why not, you
can scan them to a PDF file and put them on a CD.

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
| On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 05:55:11 GMT,
wrote in

Old March 30th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

wrote in message
"Exam-O-Grams are brief and timely explanations of important
aeronautical knowledge items.

Sounds like it's old enough to be from the era of the "Land-O-Matic" and
Royalite. Speaking of Royalite, it looks like it's still available for
aircraft in new designs:
http://www.spartech.com/plastics/aircraft_sheet.html

Marco

Old March 30th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

tom418 wrote:
It is that old. Back in the mid '70s, there was a weekly PBS TV show
on "Aviation Weather" and they frequently mentioned the "exam-o-
grams"

I hadn't thought about that weathercast in years though it was on at my
house every morning that I can remember.

Old March 30th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Godwin[_2_]

"tom418" wrote in news:7AaPh.13786$Ng1.3979
@newsfe19.lga:

It is that old. Back in the mid '70s, there was a weekly PBS TV show on
"Aviation Weather" and they frequently mentioned the "exam-o-grams"

Makes ME feel a little old. I still have my original set of VFR and IFR
Exam-O-Grams.

Old March 30th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tom418

Don't worry. At least we got to enjoy the Ed Sullivan Show, "Lost In
Space", "Man From Uncle", "Time Tunnel", etc. "They " didn't.

Old March 30th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris G.

Actually, it was "AM Weather" and its last show was on February 3, 1995.
I remember seeing it as a kid and being extremely bored by it. Now I
would love it.

Reference (heh, from 1995 of all things):
http://www.balloonlife.com/publicati...5/avchannl.htm

Old March 31st 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

"Some Other Guy" wrote in message
snip
It's hard to find decent study material on the net. At least I've never
found any.

????????? I have downloaded ~3gb of aviation training material. Many good
links are/have been posted here on r.a.p & r.a.s. and Google helps for
specific areas of interest. A Google Groups search on these ngs will yield
lots of information and more links. Many links can be deconstructed to
yield a general index or home page which allows a complete site to be
navigated. I thank all here for the links they have posted over the years.
My problem is not in finding good materials but rather the time to properly
read them.

Happy landings,

What was that welding exercise/exam? mhorowit Home Built 9 July 16th 06 12:50 AM
Private Exam Slick Piloting 8 December 3rd 04 04:27 AM
Commercial Pilot FAA Knowledge Exam - Includes Gleim TestPrep & Commercial Pilot FAA Knowledge Exam book Cecil Chapman Products 1 November 15th 04 04:22 PM
Medical Exam John Huthmaker Piloting 10 October 8th 04 02:23 AM
Brenda Anderson's EAA Chapter E-Grams Larry Smith Home Built 1 December 22nd 03 02:35 AM