Outlanding stories

Old October 27th 05, 04:27 PM
Kelly Teagle

Default Outlanding stories

I have one to add.

Earlier this year, I landed in a very big field next
to a council-owned housing estate in South Yorkshire,
UK.
After landing safely, I noticed that the field contained
young pea plants. No problem, I thought. I'll just
be careful as I walk out of the field. They were so
small that they'd recover from any damage I'd done.
As soon as I got out of the cockpit, two of the 'locals'
ran to me asking if I was OK. I assured them that I
was, as I removed my valuables from the cockpit, and
asked who owned the field.
'The farmer in the house over there,' they said, pointing
at a house about a mile away. I thanked them for their
concern and they walked away in the directione of the
housing estate, cans of beer in hand.
I set off to find the farmer, picking my way carefully
between young pea plants. The farmer and his wife were
getting ready to go out for the afternoon, so I sat
in their garden and called my crew.
I'd just finished the call to my husband when I heard
a helicopter, very close by. I looked toward my field,
and sure enough, a police helicopter was landing next
to my glider!
I ran the whole mile back to my glider. By this time,
not only was there a helicopter, but also 4 police
officers, 6 firemen, the helicopter crew, and the entire
population of the local housing estate! The farmer's
crop of young peas was being trampled to death!
Breathlessly, I told them I was OK and that they should
leave the field. As I stood there, they called the
local air ambulance and told it not to bother coming,
as I was OK.
It was the usual situation; someone from the housing
estate had seen me 'crash' and had called the emergency
services.

Two very nice police officers stayed with me until
my trailer arrived - apparently they thought that a
young female glider pilot needed protection from the
locals! I wish I'd known that when I picked the field!

Outlanding stories bagmaker Soaring 47 November 11th 05 09:24 PM
Outlanding stories Kelly Teagle Soaring 0 October 27th 05 04:26 PM
Outlanding stories Kelly Teagle Soaring 0 October 27th 05 04:26 PM
Pilot Stories Frank Piloting 0 August 9th 05 07:58 PM
Student Pilot Stories Wanted Greg Burkhart Piloting 6 September 18th 03 08:57 PM