Audio Variometer sounds

Old May 17th 10, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

Default Audio Variometer sounds

My old Cambridge CAV series Audio Variometer is dying. It will die
someday, if I don't KILL it first. Sometimes on a long flight, it will
become quite optimistic. Cheerleaders are fine, but when I'm in 4
knot sink, reporting 2 knots of lift, and beeping cheerily isn't
helpful. The other problem is the tones themselves. I have some
hearing loss in mid-upper ranges, and as a consequence, I have to
crank the volume to max to hear the "climb" sounds. Unfortunately, I
hear just fine in the lower registers, so the "sink" tone is REALLY
loud (and annoying after several minutes!). Is there a place on the
web that has examples of the tones output by assorted variometers so I
can find one that I like?
Old May 17th 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

On 2010/05/17 05:58 PM, Grider Pirate wrote:
My old Cambridge CAV series Audio Variometer is dying. It will die
someday, if I don't KILL it first. Sometimes on a long flight, it will
become quite optimistic. Cheerleaders are fine, but when I'm in 4
knot sink, reporting 2 knots of lift, and beeping cheerily isn't
helpful. The other problem is the tones themselves. I have some
hearing loss in mid-upper ranges, and as a consequence, I have to
crank the volume to max to hear the "climb" sounds. Unfortunately, I
hear just fine in the lower registers, so the "sink" tone is REALLY
loud (and annoying after several minutes!). Is there a place on the
web that has examples of the tones output by assorted variometers so I
can find one that I like?

Don't know if it is helpful but - The TASMAN V1000 varios are
inexpensive and have a quite different sound output to all the whistling
wonders. Sound more like pacman. You can adjust the tones, and turn off
for sink.

Vario function works well under hard club use.

Not really a contest vario but great for XC.

Bruce

Old May 17th 10, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

On May 17, 11:58*am, Grider Pirate wrote:
crank the volume to max to hear the "climb" sounds. *Unfortunately, I
hear just fine in the lower registers, so the "sink" tone is REALLY
loud (and annoying after several minutes!). *

How about flying in lift all the time, then turn off the vario when
you in to land?
Old May 17th 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On May 17, 11:03*am, jsbrake wrote:
On May 17, 11:58*am, Grider Pirate wrote:

crank the volume to max to hear the "climb" sounds. *Unfortunately, I
hear just fine in the lower registers, so the "sink" tone is REALLY
loud (and annoying after several minutes!). *

How about flying in lift all the time, then turn off the vario when
you in to land?

When I figure out how to do that, I'll let you know.
Old May 17th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lars Peder Hansen

The LX160 I fly with has separate volume settings for Vario- and
SpeedCommand mode. I think all LX devices do. ..So if you set it to
auto-switch between modes, and then take care to only circle in lift*, you
are OK.

*) They tell me that's the general idea, anyway ;-)

Lars Peder,
DG-600 EE, Denmark

Replace numbers with post1.tele.dk to reply by email

Old May 17th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On May 17, 2:27*pm, "Lars Peder Hansen"
wrote:
The LX160 I fly with has separate volume settings for Vario- and
SpeedCommand mode. I think all LX devices do. ..So if you set it to
auto-switch between modes, and then take care to only circle in lift*, you
are OK.

*) They tell me that's the general idea, anyway ;-)

Lars Peder,
DG-600 EE, Denmark

Replace numbers with post1.tele.dk to reply by email

"Grider Pirate" wrote in message

On May 17, 11:03 am, jsbrake wrote:

On May 17, 11:58 am, Grider Pirate wrote:

crank the volume to max to hear the "climb" sounds. Unfortunately, I
hear just fine in the lower registers, so the "sink" tone is REALLY
loud (and annoying after several minutes!).

How about flying in lift all the time, then turn off the vario when
you in to land?

When I figure out how to do that, I'll let you know.

I discovered that when I finally got my LX160 working the other day.
The next time I flew it, however,
it decided I was in speed-to-fly mode while I was on tow, which was
heavily annoying. New checklist
item: flip switch to climb mode before takeoff!

-- Matt
Old May 17th 10, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

*New checklist item: flip switch to climb mode before takeoff!

-- Matt

Haha!! just added to my list too. Jumped off at 1000' with STF mode on
my SB-8 (not Ilec's fault -just didn't check first...) the other day.
After a somewhat short flight a little head scratching solved the
symptom. Next 1000 footer stuck...

-Paul
Old May 17th 10, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_12_]

Is there a place on the web that has examples of the tones output by
assorted variometers so I
can find one I like?

The most pleasant, and easiest to hear and interpret is used by ILEC
variometers.

ILEC gives the operator a choice of sounds, the best being a multi-
tone sound which is easier to hear, so you can turn the volume way
down. I also turn off the down-sound, prefering less bad news in my
life.

Tom Knauff

Old May 17th 10, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

HI,

It is my intent to put videos of all the varios I sell onto my web site. So
far I have done so for the Cambridge 302 and Tasman V1000. There are links
to the videos near the bottom of this page.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/varios.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old May 18th 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

On May 17, 5:45*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
[...]

The Ilec sounds best, my 302 is OK, and I just wanted to drive a stake
through the heart of my old Borgelt.