Speed mods for Cherokee180

Old November 15th 04, 04:49 AM
aluckyguess

Default Speed mods for Cherokee180

If I put all the speed mods on my 180 how much faster will it really go.

Thanks

Old November 15th 04, 06:34 AM
tony roberts

Ballpark? 1 knot per $1000.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old November 15th 04, 02:14 PM
Jay Honeck

If I put all the speed mods on my 180 how much faster will it really go.

Our Cherokee 235 has 'em all.

Best bang for your buck? The full-boot wheel pants. You'll net 5 - 7 knots
from them.

Knots-2-U and Lopresti both make versions of these wheel pants.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 15th 04, 03:46 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
If I put all the speed mods on my 180 how much faster will it really go.

Our Cherokee 235 has 'em all.
Best bang for your buck? The full-boot wheel pants. You'll net 5 - 7 knots
from them.
Knots-2-U and Lopresti both make versions of these wheel pants.

That's also the approximate gain you'll get from aileron/flap gap seals,
and I think the gap seal kits from Knot2U, etc are still cheaper than the
wheel pants kits.

Incidentally, the mods are definitely NOT $1000 per knot. Maybe more like
$250-300 per knot.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old November 15th 04, 04:26 PM
Newps

Jay Masino wrote:
..

That's also the approximate gain you'll get from aileron/flap gap seals,
and I think the gap seal kits from Knot2U, etc are still cheaper than the
wheel pants kits.

No way you get 5-7 knots from flap and aileron gap seals. 1-3 maybe.
Old November 15th 04, 05:04 PM
Schmoe

Newps wrote:
Jay Masino wrote:
.

That's also the approximate gain you'll get from aileron/flap gap
seals, and I think the gap seal kits from Knot2U, etc are still
cheaper than the wheel pants kits.

No way you get 5-7 knots from flap and aileron gap seals. 1-3 maybe.

Agreed. Any company that quotes 5-7 for gap seals is trying to create a gap
in your wallet.

Old November 15th 04, 05:09 PM
Robert M. Gary

tony roberts wrote in message news:nospam-BE420F.22335514112004@shawnews...
Ballpark? 1 knot per $1000.

And each one you add helps less and less but costs more and more. A 3
knot speed mod won't get you a full 3 knots if you've already cleaned
up the plane with another speed mod.

-Robert
Old November 15th 04, 05:22 PM
Jay Masino

Newps wrote:
No way you get 5-7 knots from flap and aileron gap seals. 1-3 maybe.

I did (approximately). It's been a while, so I don't remember the exact
number, but my cruise speed went up by a definite, measurable amount when
I installed the Knots2U kit. I'm sure it was atleat 5 knots. At the
time, the Knots2U kit was only something like $800.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Old November 15th 04, 08:44 PM
John Galban

"aluckyguess" wrote in message ...
If I put all the speed mods on my 180 how much faster will it really go.

I did the K2U flap, aileron, stabilitor and fuselage seals along
with the wing root fairing and MetCo tips. All of that gave me
another 7 knots at 75%@7,500 ft. It wasn't worth it for the speed,
but it was well worth it for the handling improvements.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old November 15th 04, 09:30 PM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
If I put all the speed mods on my 180 how much faster will it really go.

Our Cherokee 235 has 'em all.

Best bang for your buck? The full-boot wheel pants. You'll net 5 - 7

knots
from them.

Knots-2-U and Lopresti both make versions of these wheel pants.
--
Jay Honeck

So your wheel pants cost 5 thousand dollars? WoW! g
--
Jim in NC

---

Landing and T/O distances (Was Cold War ALternate Basing) Guy Alcala Military Aviation 3 August 13th 04 12:18 PM
Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
Va and turbulent air penetration speed. Doug Instrument Flight Rules 70 January 11th 04 08:35 PM
Va and turbulent air penetration speed. Doug Owning 69 January 11th 04 08:35 PM
Fairings (and other gear speed mods) for AA1A,B,C Uncle Ron Owning 1 October 17th 03 05:56 PM