When has it Been too Long before you solo

Old November 15th 04, 11:29 PM
JustMe

Default When has it Been too Long before you solo

As a society, we are obsessed with Numbers. We use them to compare
ourselves to others. I make X number of dollars, I have house of Y
square feet. My car, truck or other vehicle has an engine of W liter
(cubic inches for the metrically challenged).

As such, when someone asks "What is the average hours before
soloing?", they are trying to compare themselves to the 'average'
pilot. If they do it in less than the average, then it's 'look at me,
I'm great'. If they do it in the 'average' amount of time, then they
are doing OK. But, when their number of hours is greater than the
average, they may feel that something is wrong with them. "Am I
stupid?". "Am I slow?". "Should I quit now?".

I unfortunately find myself in the latter category... 47.7 hours and
no solo yet. Only two issues remain: simulated instrument flight and
landings.

With simulated instrument flight, I can do straight and level and
turns. But when combined with climbs and or descents, I don't meet the
PTS requirements. Either I blow the altitude or the heading. Take the
hood off and I can climb, turn, fiddle with the radio and look for
traffic (while chewing gum) without blowing headings or altitudes.

Landings. I fly out of LGB (Long Beach) and LGB is cursed with
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE runways. I say cursed, since
when we fly to CMP (Compton) or TOA (Torrance), I have no problem
staying on the runway center-line. But at LGB I can track the
center-line up to the flare, after the flare at touchdown I'm off the
centerline. Am I in the weeds? No. I'm usually 20-30 feet left or
right of the centerline.

Am I stupid? I don't think so. I studied Chemical Engineering and
Computer Science in college and I work as a Software Architect for
manufacturer of large transport category airplanes. Before someone
concludes that I'm a bookworm, I've renovated two houses mostly on my
own. When I say renovate, I mean gutting most of space down to the
framing and bringing the space back to code.

Am I slow? I read slowly, but otherwise see above.

I don't think it's the instructor. He is not someone who is teaching
just to build time and then move on to bigger airplanes. The only
comment I could make and I suspect that it would apply to many
instructors, is that he points too many things out. Yes, I know I blew
the altitude or the heading, pointing it out each time can get really
old, really fast. A suggestion for CFIs, sometimes it's better to wait
until the maneuver is completed before saying something. Of course, if
it's a safety of flight issue, then by all means say something.

At the school where I am learning, the instructor grades your
performance after each flight on a scale from 1 to 5. Where 1 is
deemed excellent and 5 is considered unsatisfactory. With 3 being
average. Reviewing my training records, I haven't scored greater than
a 3 since lesson number 13. From lesson 14 through lesson 33, I've
scored average to excellent.

Should I quit now? That is what I'm pondering. 47.7 hours and still no
solo.

Constructive suggestions or criticisms welcomed. Please refrain from
only saying 'don't give up'.
Old November 16th 04, 12:13 AM
Peter Duniho

"JustMe" wrote in message
om...
[...]
Should I quit now? That is what I'm pondering. 47.7 hours and still no
solo.

I agree with Bob, at least in fact if not tone. Just from your message, it
sure sounds like the standards your instructor is expecting from you before
solo are just too high. A solo student needs to be able to safely operate
the airplane in the expected environment. A solo student does NOT need to
be good enough to pass the checkride. If he were, an instructor would just
send him off for his checkride.

In addition, it sounds to me as though you've got a pretty good intuition of
other problems with your instructor. Pointing out where you screw up is
sometimes exactly what a student needs, but most of the time what an
instructor needs to do is explain WHY you screwed up and HOW you can fix it.
There's nothing more frustrating to a student than knowing you blew a
maneuver or didn't hold a heading or altitude or something, and then to only
be told what you already know, rather than how to avoid doing the same thing
in the future.

Well, nothing more frustrating except possible an instructor who holds you
back.

Anyway, you gotta get yourself a flight with a different instructor.
Preferably several flights, and maybe even with several different
instructors. You have been flying enough now that you will probably quickly
pick up on differences in instructional techniques, and will find at least
one instructor that you "mesh" with far better than the one you've got now.

Pete

Old November 16th 04, 02:03 AM
Dave S

JustMe wrote:
(snip)
I unfortunately find myself in the latter category... 47.7 hours and
no solo yet. Only two issues remain: simulated instrument flight and
landings.

With simulated instrument flight, (snip)

Proficiency in simulated instrument flight is not a requirement to be
able to solo at the private pilot level. The goal of simulated
instrument instruction is to empower a non-instrument rated pilot to be
able to safely make a 180 degree turn out of instrument conditions that
are inadverdently encountered (what was cloud clearance again????).. or
to hopefully allow you to descend through an overcast you have become
stranded above (again.. plan properly, stay abreast of conditions and
you should never need this EMERGENCY procedure). Your instructor should
set strict enough "solo limits" that should prevent you from
inadverdently encountering instrument conditions.

Landings. (snip)

If you can safely take the plane around the pattern on your own without
breaking it, yourself or another other objects, then you should be near
the point you can be solo'd in the pattern.

If you can get from point a to point b without being corrected by the
instructor, you may even be ready for solo flights between airports.

I don't think it's the instructor.

It MAY be your instructor.

(snip)

Constructive suggestions or criticisms welcomed. Please refrain from
only saying 'don't give up'.

Ask to fly with another instructor or with the chief flight instructor
for a second opinion. This is a perfectly valid approach to take. If you
dont feel that the staff at THAT school can give you an honest second
opinion, go find a freelance instructor or another school. It would be
PREFERABLE to take this "second opinion" ride in the same type of
aircraft you have been training in.. less to "learn" while demonstrating
your stuff.

Granted, only your side of the situation has been presented here.
Something appears amiss. The instructor works for you.. that doesnt mean
that he should "sway" or "bend" his principles and standards because you
are handing over money.. what it DOES mean is that as the consumer you
have the right to get your money's worth of training and experience, and
the right to take your self and your $$ elsewhere if you dont feel you
are getting value. Talk to the current instructor. Get the
"deficiencies" listed, in writing. Find out what he/she's thinking.
Shop around. If two or three instructors from different schools ( after
a few hours with you) all feel that you arent able to solo safely (or
progress to completion of your PPL) then maybe flying isnt your best
choice for a hobby.

Dave
Not a flight instructor, just a pilot.

Old November 16th 04, 02:04 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 11/15/04 6:29 PM, in article
, "JustMe"
wrote:

[...]

If I soloed only after I was able to consistently land on the centerline,
I'd still be riding dual after 265 hours and my instrument ticket in hand.

I say you need to fire your CFI and find one that's confident enough with
his teaching skills to let you solo. Your last 19 flights are average or
better? What do they want at this point? Chuck Yeager?

If you can fly the pattern and land without your CFI being required to touch
the controls for reasons of immediate safety, I'd say you should be solo.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Old November 16th 04, 02:56 AM
Bob Gardner

You should have a copy of the regulations...read 61.87 "Solo Requirements
for Student Pilots." Then give serious consideration to changing
instructors...this guy is bleeding you.

Bob Gardner

om...

Old November 16th 04, 03:02 AM
Robert Bates

Read FAR part 61 as it pertains to Solo and then take a look at another
instructor. I think everyone would agree, it's good to fly with a few
different instructors in your training as you'll learn different things from
each one.

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in
message news:BDBECA49.33C08%jeffbTAKEOUTCAPS@TAKEOUTCAPSwi zardofdraws.com...
On 11/15/04 6:29 PM, in article
, "JustMe"

Old November 16th 04, 03:07 AM
Nathan Young

On 15 Nov 2004 15:29:15 -0800, (JustMe) wrote:

At the school where I am learning, the instructor grades your
performance after each flight on a scale from 1 to 5. Where 1 is
deemed excellent and 5 is considered unsatisfactory. With 3 being
average. Reviewing my training records, I haven't scored greater than
a 3 since lesson number 13. From lesson 14 through lesson 33, I've
scored average to excellent.

Should I quit now? That is what I'm pondering. 47.7 hours and still no
solo.

First off, I'd say never quit. If you want to fly, keep working at
it, and eventually the landings will make sense. 47.7 is hardly any
time at in the grand scheme of things.

How long has it taken you (calendar-wise) to get the 47.7 hrs? I
think it is best to fly 3-4 times per week for about 1.5 hrs each go.
Kind of a balance between immersion and saturation.

As others pointed out - it seems your instructor may be asking too
much before letting you go solo. Has he/she taken the time to explain
why you haven't solo'd yet? You implied it was due to simulated
instrument time and crosswind technique, but has the instructor
clearly spelled that out? Is there a plan on the table for overcoming
the deficiencies?

This might be a good time for some self-reflection. Do you feel you
could handle the plane by yourself around the pattern? When you do
pattern work does the instructor have to take over the controls, or
are you doing the work by yourself? Even if the instructor is taking
over - it isn't that bad - as an instructor who is not willing to cut
you loose for solo after 47 hrs, is probably the type to steal the
controls from you on every landing.

If I were you, I would talk to the chief pilot at your FBO and explain
the situation. Ask if you might ride with him/her or another
instructor for an evaluation and suggestions on how to fix it. It
probably would be an even better idea to do this at a different FBO.
That way you would have multiple independent assessments of your
abilities.

-Nathan

Old November 16th 04, 04:44 AM
Dave Stadt

"JustMe" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sounds like your instructor has a new Mercedes he needs to make payments on.
He either has no confidence in his teaching ability or is milking you.

Pirep: New toys (long) JJS Piloting 9 March 13th 04 01:55 PM
How Long F22/F35? BOB URZ Military Aviation 4 January 2nd 04 02:51 PM
Jon Johanson..Long delete if not interested Jerry Springer Home Built 0 December 21st 03 05:55 PM
x-country solo Joe Johnson Piloting 51 December 17th 03 04:18 PM
First flight with my wife! (long) Wily Wapiti Piloting 8 August 30th 03 05:57 PM