Advice on H301 Libelle 17m

Old July 10th 04, 07:00 PM
ruediger

Default Advice on H301 Libelle 17m

As my Astir CS77 is totally damaged (The pilot, a friend of mine is
ok, but the glider can't be repaired) i am looking for a "new" glider.
I have the chance to buy a Libelle H301 17m. As I know that several
H301 are flown in the US, i hope to get some advice from ras.
For those who wonder: I can't ask these questions to the former owner,
because the glider is sold by a dealer.
I have no interest in competition, but i am looking for a glider which
is easy to fly (not like the ASTIR). Is the H301 the same pleasure to
fly as the H201 and H205, or a ASW19?
Who can give advice on take-off and landing (I am going to read the
manual but some times there are extra tricks).
My eyperince is about 400h mostly with ASTIR CS, Club-Libelle 205,
ASW19, TWIN I, K21.
Thanks
Ruediger
(from Germany)
Old July 11th 04, 02:12 PM
JJ Sinclair

H-301 in a nutshell. Great glider in its time, but she's going on 40, now.
Great in the climb, but gives it up at 80 knots because the lower wing goes
turbulent at that speed. Schuemann modification fixed that, but is/was
expensive. Look for signs of water penetration into the balsawood core, bad
news. Construction is about 30% lighter than modern sailplanes, just shake the
tail to verify this observation. Landing gear / wheel / axle won't take too
much abuse, as in going sidewise. Boom doesn't like to ground-loop much either
and will snap if tried above 35 knots. Good ship in its day. Lots of fun even
now, good handicap in the un-modified version, Schueman modification will cost
you 5 points and isn't worth it without water, which isn't allowed in sports
class. Came with a tail chute which never was needed and didn't work most of
the time, anyway. Has flaps (+ or - 15 degrees) and dive brakes that are about
half as effective as the spoilers on the H-201. Ventilation is provided by
opening canopy ----- Yikes, never had the guts to try that. Most have been
modified to bring in vent-air through the nose along with Pitot. Came with
Pitot on stab and no total energy back there. Forward statics aren't the best,
so aft statics should be added, as per Schuemann modifaciation instructions.
Didn't come with a sliding window, either. Add one of those. Had automatic
control hook-ups, except for ailerons. Has side trim which is a nuisance , the
201 trim is much nicer. Tow release is on a handle that rubs a spot on the
inside of your left leg, 201 release is much better. She was a hummer in her
day. My highly modified 301 would stay with the 20's. Carrying 25 gallons (only
about 200 pounds over GW) I could out-climb them, but they would out-run me (40
gallons of agwa - only about 200 pounds over G/W) However I would catch them
in the next thermal and out-climb them again. Did that for 400 miles, one day
in the '72 nationals at Minden. Those were the days, Iron men in wooden ships.

:)
JJ Sinclair
Old July 11th 04, 11:16 PM
One9er

great report JJ. Those were the good old days. '72, is that El mirage,
Minden, ?

Mitch Herold
Old July 12th 04, 02:55 AM
Robertmudd1u

17 meter span H 301 Libelle??

Anyone know how many of these were made? I have never heard of a 17meter
version.

Was it a whole new wing? Or were removable tips installed?

Robert Mudd
Old July 12th 04, 02:16 PM
JJ Sinclair

great report JJ. Those were the good old days. '72, is that El mirage,
Minden, ?

Must have been having a senior moment, make that '82 at Minden or about that
time period. I do remember the SSA's "Spring Surprise" of 1984 when the 15
meter Nats were held at Ephrata. About March '84 we were told that the
Manufacturers Certificated Gross Weight (in the country of origin) would not be
exceeded. Very bad news for me and my Libelle. After modifications and with old
JJ stuffed in that tiny cockpit, It weighed 680 lbs.without any water. The GW
of the H-301 was 660.

JJ went shopping for a used 20 right before the Ephrata contest. That was a
memebrable contest, the tasking was exactly the same as a very successful
nationals they had run about 10 years earlier. Only problem was the weather
wasn't the same. Lots of over-calls and that led to our "Competition
Committee", with 2 competitors on it to advise the CD on not sending us out
into all that black stuff, west of Ephrata and perhaps the CD should consider
sending us over towards those puffy little clouds to the east.

That contest also had 4 mid-airs which led to a firm rule not to allow more
than 65 entrnts.
Those were the days, have many fond memories of my 301. Turned out I should
have stripped down the Libelle and taken it to Ephrata, because the weather was
so lousy that we ended up flying dry on most days, anyway due to the weak
conditions. She would have done well because climbing was her strong point.
JJ Sinclair
Old July 12th 04, 02:29 PM
Pete Reinhart

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
H-301 in a nutshell. Great glider in its time, but she's going on 40, now.

... Those were the days, Iron men in wooden ships.

:)
JJ Sinclair

As my sailboat racing lawyer friend says : "let us return once again to the
days when men were iron, ships were wood, and women were property".
When I tried that at my place, my wife reminded me who was paying for the
glider.
Cheers!

Old July 12th 04, 07:48 PM
goneill

Here is a non PC version of the word wife : W ashing ,I roning,F ood ,E
ntertainment
this has been doing the rounds lately
BUT
When I tried that at my place, my wife reminded me who was paying for the
glider.

I think that hits the spot that hurts more.
gary

Old July 14th 04, 12:10 AM
Tim Mara

the 301 was never produced as a 17 meter version....some might have been modified, though I know of none that were
the Kestrel was 17 meter and I suspect that is what they were referring to..... there was also (one) 304 produced with extended span called the Glasflügel 402 but it was later converted to the "Falcon" by Hansjorg Streifeneder
tim
www.wingsandwheels.com

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message ...

"Kevin Christner" wrote in message
m...
ojunk (Robertmudd1u) wrote in message

17 meter span H 301 Libelle??

Anyone know how many of these were made? I have never heard of a 17meter
version.

Was it a whole new wing? Or were removable tips installed?

Robert Mudd

I think he has either confused the wingspan or is actually talking
about a Glasflugel 401 Kestrel.

There is most certainly a handicap listing for Libelle 17m on many Euro
sites under club class

ASW 19; DG 100; LS1f; Hornet; Std. Jantar, Std. Astir; SZD 59; Phöbus B3;
Cirrus; Std. Cirrus 16m; Phöbus C1; D 37; SB 7; Elfe 17m, Std. Libelle 17m
are given 100

Googling and translating a bit, it appears the 17m Libelle appeared in 1965,
so likely a 301.

Frank Whiteley

Advice and experts with 400 series Cessnas (414 and 421), purchase and training [email protected] Owning 36 January 9th 05 02:32 AM
Need advice on handling airplane damage GE Owning 24 November 11th 04 01:16 AM
boot camp advice jameson Military Aviation 17 July 22nd 04 05:12 AM
Libelle Web Site f.blair Soaring 0 June 23rd 04 08:06 AM
Advice Brad Piloting 9 October 28th 03 02:54 PM