boycott united forever

Old May 16th 05, 02:17 AM
James Robinson

Garner Miller wrote:

Don Hammer wrote:

Try looking at the real killers of the company; those egotistical
union pilots that get $250K + a year for 20 hours of work a month....

Surely a group of pilots should know better than to believe that. VERY
few pilots approach anything close to what you describe, and if they
do, it's for about a year before they turn 60.

The rest of us are away from home 400 hours a month (compared to your
typical nine-to-five gone less than half of that), and dreaming of the
day we hit the six-figure mark.

Ah, yes, the "greedy union pilots."

Try being a seventh-year employee at a regional airline, flying as a
Part 121 captain, for less than 40K a year. Try and balance that
against your mythical 20-hour, $250K captain.

Lower regional airline pay and longer hours are two of the reasons the
majors have problems. Here are some quotes from an article written in
2001 about pilot pay at the major airlines:

"A 10-year captain of Boeing 737-200s makes $157,152 at Delta, and
$178,152
at United. The most senior captain, with 30 years of experience, flying
Boeing 777 wide-body, makes $248,040 at Delta, and $254,748 at United."

"Delta pilots are expected to top United pilots, who now stand with the
highest pay among passenger carriers."

"In September, McCain compared the 1998 per capital U.S. income of
$20,120
with the $342,000 a year that the most senior United pilots will make by
2004."

Full article he

http://archives.californiaaviation.o.../msg00010.html
Old May 16th 05, 02:55 AM
Matt Barrow

"Garner Miller" wrote in message
In article , Don Hammer
wrote:

Try looking at the real killers of the company; those egotistical
union pilots that get $250K + a year for 20 hours of work a month....

Surely a group of pilots should know better than to believe that. VERY
few pilots approach anything close to what you describe, and if they
do, it's for about a year before they turn 60.

The rest of us are away from home 400 hours a month (compared to your
typical nine-to-five gone less than half of that), and dreaming of the
day we hit the six-figure mark.

Ah, yes, the "greedy union pilots."

Try being a seventh-year employee at a regional airline, flying as a
Part 121 captain, for less than 40K a year. Try and balance that
against your mythical 20-hour, $250K captain.

Non-sequitur.

That's why UAL is failing and the regionals are sorta prospering.

Old May 16th 05, 03:07 AM
Garner Miller

In article , James Robinson
wrote:

"A 10-year captain of Boeing 737-200s makes $157,152 at Delta, and
$178,152
at United. The most senior captain, with 30 years of experience, flying
Boeing 777 wide-body, makes $248,040 at Delta, and $254,748 at United."

You proved my point. Of all the captains at Delta, for example, how
many have been there 30 years? And how many are on the 777? Far, far
fewer than the entire pilot pool, I assure you.

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI
Old May 16th 05, 12:45 PM
leslie

gatt ) wrote:
:
: Are you saying my father isn't "smart"? Are you saying that company
: loyalty and hard work isn't smart?
:

Company loyalty died years ago, with a few rare exceptions, like Malden
Mills. The following article contrasts Malden Mills' Aaron Feuerstein
with Enron's Ken Lay:

http://sitesearch.washingtonpost.com...2001Dec19.html
A CEO Who Lives by What's Right (washingtonpost.com)

"By Mary McGrory
Thursday, December 20, 2001; Page A03

In this anxious hour of pink-slip dread, it is restoring to think of
Aaron Feuerstein, a Massachusetts manufacturer who prizes his
employees and risks profits on their behalf.

The CEO of Malden Mills, located in Lawrence, the 23rd poorest
community in the country, stepped clear of the greedy stereotype of
his kind in 1995 when, just before Christmas, his factory burned down.
Rather than taking the insurance money and retiring or moving the
plant to some Third World country, he promptly announced that he would
rebuild. He gave bonuses to the help and paid them while they waited
for the factory reopening..."

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email
Old May 16th 05, 01:00 PM
leslie

Robert M. Gary ) wrote:
: What industry are you referring to? I work in an industry that contains
: a lot of H-1 employees (software, telecommunications). There is no
: difference in saleries.
:
: -Robert
:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1014/p17s01-coop.html
Endangered species: US programmers | csmonitor.com

"Endangered species: US programmers
By David R. Francis

[snip]

Further, the H-1B program, set up in 1990, is flawed, critics charge.
For example, employers are not required to recruit Americans before
resorting to hiring H-1Bs, says Norman Matloff, a computer science
professor at the University of California, Davis.

And the requirement that employers pay H-1Bs a "prevailing wage" is
useless, he adds, because the law is riddled with loopholes. Nor are
even any remaining regulations enforced.

The average wage for an American programmer runs about $60,000, says
John Bauman, who set up the Organization for the Rights of American
Workers. Employers pay H-1Bs an average $53,000..."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...8566322.htm?1c
Jobs that stay here -- but not for Americans

"Jobs that stay here -- but not for Americans
By Karl Schoenberger

Mercury News

Not all the local jobs disappear when an Indian firm takes a software
project to Bangalore. As many as 30 percent in a typical offshoring
contract stay onshore, located right on the premises of U.S.
technology companies, offshoring experts say.

Yet these jobs aren't available to the local workforce. They are
reserved, almost exclusively, for guest workers brought from India on
H-1B visas by the outsourcing contractors, according to analysts and
industry sources.

Concerns about the impact of the H-1B program, which raised hackles
when it let in legions of foreign tech workers at the peak of the
Internet boom, are back again. Hurting from high unemployment after
the tech bubble burst and spooked by all the election-year buzz about
offshoring, displaced U.S. workers are claiming double jeopardy.

``These jobs never make it to the help-wanted ads or get posted
online,'' said Kim Berry, president of the Programmers Guild, a
Web-based advocacy group that criticizes offshoring and the H-1B
program.

The two issues are inseparable, said Ronil Hira, assistant professor
of public policy at Rochester Institute of Technology..."

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email
Old May 16th 05, 01:04 PM
James Robinson

Garner Miller wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

"A 10-year captain of Boeing 737-200s makes $157,152 at Delta, and
$178,152 at United. The most senior captain, with 30 years of
experience, flying a Boeing 777 wide-body, makes $248,040 at
Delta, and $254,748 at United."

You proved my point. Of all the captains at Delta, for example, how
many have been there 30 years? And how many are on the 777? Far, far
fewer than the entire pilot pool, I assure you.

Certainly true, but you also suggested that a six-figure salary was
something to be dreaming of, yet a 10-year captain at the majors flying
a narrow-body at $150,000 to $175,000 is well into six figures. There
would be lots of them around. Considering that only something like the
top 13% of all households, (which can include two wage earners) have
incomes over $100k a year, that's not too shabby. Only 4% have incomes
over $150k.

There is also the amount of time actually spent flying. While Southwest
pays their pilots something north of $150k a year, plus stock options,
they also get about 50% more flight time out of them than the majors:

"Southwest gets about 75 hours' stick time a month from its pilots,
whereas most major carriers get only 48 to 52 hours," says Neidl. "It
makes a huge difference."

http://www.boardmember.com/issues/ar...ticle_id=11261

The high wages, restrictive work rules, and generous benefit plans
offered by the major airlines just can't compete with the streamlined
operations of the lower cost carriers.

Further, the suggestion that the wages compensate for being away from
home more than 400 hours a month doesn't explain the wages of truckers
or railroad employees, who are often away far more than that, yet only
make perhaps a third of what a pilot makes.

I'm not begrudging the fact that airline pilots make good money, as I'd
certainly like to be in their shoes. I'm simply stating that things are
really pretty good overall, but that economic reality has come home to
roost for the pilots on the major carriers.
Old May 16th 05, 02:00 PM
James Robinson

An interesting discussion of pilot wages and productivity at the major
air carriers:

http://www.unisys.com/transportation...orecard__2.htm
Old May 16th 05, 02:21 PM
Garner Miller

In article , James Robinson
wrote:

You proved my point. Of all the captains at Delta, for example, how
many have been there 30 years? And how many are on the 777? Far, far
fewer than the entire pilot pool, I assure you.

Certainly true, but you also suggested that a six-figure salary was
something to be dreaming of, yet a 10-year captain at the majors flying
a narrow-body at $150,000 to $175,000 is well into six figures.

Of course. But average all the airline pilots, and we don't all makes
a quarter-million a year, and that's been my point from the beginning.
The media distorts that fact on a regular basis, making us all look
like millionaires. I wish!

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI
Old May 16th 05, 06:08 PM
Matt Barrow

wrote:

"A 10-year captain of Boeing 737-200s makes $157,152 at Delta, and
$178,152
at United. The most senior captain, with 30 years of experience, flying
Boeing 777 wide-body, makes $248,040 at Delta, and $254,748 at United."

You proved my point. Of all the captains at Delta, for example, how
many have been there 30 years? And how many are on the 777? Far, far
fewer than the entire pilot pool, I assure you.

His numbers are a hell of a lot closer than yours were, and he qualified his
statements.

You just spewed.

Old May 16th 05, 06:22 PM
Garner Miller

In article , Matt Barrow
wrote:

You proved my point. Of all the captains at Delta, for example, how
many have been there 30 years? And how many are on the 777? Far, far
fewer than the entire pilot pool, I assure you.

His numbers are a hell of a lot closer than yours were, and he qualified his
statements.

Fine.

A first-year pilot at Continental makes $25,900. UPS, $26,200.
United, $23,400. At Delta, $43,600. And surprise, Southwest comes
out ON TOP in first-year pay, at $44,900. And the 10-year captain at
Southwest? $166,000 -- *more* than the 10-year 737 captain at Delta
makes.

The thousands upon thousands of them on furlough are making exactly $0,
so make sure you factor that into your average. That's a very real
risk in this industry. Combine that with the mandatory age-60
retirement, and there really aren't that many years where you're making
the kind of money you guys keep -- to use your word -- "spewing."

You just spewed.

As did you.

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI

No US soldier should have 2 die for Israel 4 oil Ewe n0 who Naval Aviation 0 April 7th 04 07:31 PM
Osama bin Laaden Big John Piloting 2 January 12th 04 04:05 AM
Big Kahunas Jay Honeck Piloting 360 December 20th 03 12:59 AM
Two Years of War Stop Spam! Military Aviation 3 October 9th 03 11:05 AM
U.S. is losing the sympathy of the world John Mullen Military Aviation 149 September 22nd 03 03:42 PM