homemade EFIS system and EMI

Old February 15th 05, 03:58 AM

isn't there a step down treansformer taking 110vAC down to 12vAC then
rectified to 12vDC????

Steve
A&P and Computer Guru (and very interested in your Idea)

John wrote:
John wrote:

Thanks for the continuing input.
The LM79XX's will do you no good unless you have a source of

negative
voltage to feed them. This generally will mean a dc to dc

converter which
generally means switching regulators. Try putting your current
powersupply in a case and attach it directly to the MB's case and

use
feedthrough capacitors in the common case bulkheads to feed the dc
voltage in. Put fedtrough caps and ferite beads on the dc in to

the
powersuppply case. Cheep and will get you a good start to

eliminating the
noise. John

About $1.00 a piece from a couple sources I checked. So about $7.00

for
the PS voltages plus the dc input. (although some are sold only in

10
lots) if you have multiple projects to use them up in you can order

100
quantity for about $.50 each.
John

Just checked Newark Catalog They have an interesting item:
A feed through teminal block with built-in filter capacitors
part # 95F895X
where x = number of terminals from 2 to 6.

Just something interesting to look into.
They have a lot of ideas for cap/ferite/filter ideas.
John

Old February 15th 05, 01:52 PM
John

All kinds unfortunately this is for aircraft use, he's starting with 12v
DC (transformers don't work with DC) and needs to get +-12v +5 and +3.3v
all DC.
John

John,

I think you'll find that the -12V is used only in "legacy" PC design for
ISA busses, or serial ports (which he probably isn't using).

Evan

Yes I did a little research on it and the only thing the negative is needed
for is the rs232 serial ports. for this you can get a $1.50 ic to convert
+12 to -12 V low current.
That said, what I'd do is get a 1.5 amp 5v TO-3 regulator and a 1 amp TO-220
regulator along with one of the TO-220 adjustable 1 amp regulators for the
3.3 v and run it all off the 12V (highly filtered) input. That said,
(again) you might have problems with th 12V regulator if the input drops
below 13.8V! So you might need to use a separate battery for it and diode
isolate it from the aircrafts electrical systm and have it charged when it
exceeds the 13.8 volt figure.
John

Old February 15th 05, 08:52 PM
Evan Carew

Old February 16th 05, 01:50 AM
UltraJohn

Evan Carew wrote:

John,

I wonder if we are trying too hard on the +12V issue. Couldn't you
simply let it float free with something like a MOV to keep it from
getting too high? If the voltage goes too low, a simple current limiting
sacrificial resistor (AKA fuse) would protect the equipment. You could
even use one of those self healing plastic fuses.

Looking at the design again, there won't be any hard drives or fans to
suck juice from this voltage, so the only thing it will be powering is
the PCI bus.

Yes it probably wouldn't matter, an MOV wouldn't do much good but you could
still feed a 12V regulator I guess and when the voltage started to go above
that it would regulate and when below it would just slump. I don't think it
would hurt the regulator to take the input too low.
That being said you could build a low differential voltage regulator for the
12V line it's possible to do it with less than 1 volt drop you just can't
do it with the simpler 3 terminal regulators.
The main point is you get rid of the switching regulators and their inherent
noise. It also makes it easier to filter the PC's noise out of the supply.
John
PS I checked out his site and found it quite interesting. I use to program
with hex and then onto assembler when I started out with computers in 1976.
I had a SWTPC 6800 with a whopping ~800KHZ clock! You had to build the whole
thing from a kit soldering on the buss connectors (SS50 bus) ic's
powersupplies etc. It did not have video you had to use an external
terminal although I later build a video board for it and modified the boot
rom's to use it. I started with a Mega memory of 4Kilobytes and eventually
got up to 48Kilobytes. Those were the days!

Old February 16th 05, 01:37 PM
John

Blueskies wrote:

"Evan Carew" wrote in message
John,

I think you'll find that the -12V is used only in "legacy" PC design for
ISA busses, or serial ports (which he probably isn't using).

Evan

What is the +12 vdc for?

serial ports, fans and disk drives mainly
Old February 16th 05, 02:20 PM
John

Frank van der Hulst wrote:

John wrote:
I think you'll find that the -12V is used only in "legacy" PC design for
ISA busses, or serial ports (which he probably isn't using).

What is the +12 vdc for?

serial ports, fans and disk drives mainly

And nowadays CPUs.... late last year I upgraded a PC motherboard from
800MHz to to 2.4GHz by replacing the motherboard. The new motherboard
had an extra connector to provide 12V to the CPU 9Celeron, IIRC), so I
had to replace the power supply as well. I'm guessing that the CPU had
onchip regulators to provide the other voltages that it required.

Frank

Thats true. my athlon 64 bit has it too. it was originally for the P4 chip.
Although the project that was the focus of this thread delt with a mini-atx
case that does not have this. For that matter he was not using any disk
drives instead he's using an USB thumbdrive. so he probably could get away
with leaving out the 12v. I've never tried it so I don't know. Maybe this
weekend I'll pull out one of my older atx boards and see if I can get it to
boot without the other supplies.
John
PS Don't forget to emulate the pwr good signal!