Air Expo 2006 - Cannon AFB - Clovis/Portales, NM

Old May 27th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Air Expo 2006 - Cannon AFB - Clovis/Portales, NM

Tomorrow, May 27, I will be at Cannon AFB in the Clovis/Portales Area.
The Thunderbirds will be flying their red, white, & blue lawn darts. A
Dodge VIper will try to outrun and F-16, and there will be a P-51, a
P-40, a B-25, a jet powered truck, and a jet powered GLIDER. My old
PIK-20B is there, and I'll be doin' my bit for the SSA and Caprock
Soaring Club. In the area? Stop by and say Howdy! I'll give you a neat
glider sticker for your hat, or a magazine, and an SSA brochure and
application... If I'm not at the glider, Kip McLain will be around to
sell you on soaring... that's what we're there for. I thought about
taking my guitar and doin' some singin', but someone said that might
have some folks QUITTING the SSA, so... maybe not.

Be there or be square...

Jack Womack

Old May 28th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I had a long day of keeping little fingers from going where they
shouldn't, and answering questions. I roasted, and with the winds
gusting to 40, I had dirt blown into every pore of my body. That's the
bad side...

The good side is that the SSA got a lot of exposure, and not just from
me, but from Bob, the jet-glider guy from Moriarty. He put on a good
show. I got asked a lot of questions about his performance. I gave out
almost all the literature the SSA supplied me, and we will probably
come up with a few new members. One guy from the Alamagordo area said
he was hoping to join that club soon. We had several from our area
express interest so we may have a few new faces at Caprock... time will
tell.

Have a great Memorial Day.

Jack Womack

Old May 29th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Jack,

Had a great time at Cannon. Great visiting with you.
Hanging out in that wind to pass out literature was
definitely 'above & beyond' the call of duty ;o)

I'm glad they scheduled my flight early in the day,
before the wind went from honking to mother-honking.

Bob

Old May 29th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Jack for all your efforts promoting soaring !
Best Regards, Dave

Old May 29th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I heard Cannon was shutting down operations. Is the AF still active
there?
Glenn
former ENMU

Old May 29th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Air Force is still active. There is another mission coming to the
site, but no announcements have been made. There is active construction
on base and a pretty good attitude among those who are here. The local
builders and bankers seem optomistic. My neighbor is an engineer for
base housing and that sort of thing. He says he wouldn't be here if the
base was closing...

That's as much as I've heard.

Jack Womack

Old May 31st 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jack,

In early June we are having the Thunderbirds at Hill AFB in Utah for a
two day airshow and would like to display a glider here as well. It
may be too late at this point but I'd like to try. What was the
process you went through to get permission? How much literature did
you get from the SSA?

Dan Wrobel

Old May 31st 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan,

You probably can still get in. I called the air base information
operaor and she transferred me to the folks in charge of the airshow.
There are several government forms to fill out and some that your
insurance provider will have to fill out. If you're going to do it,
better get crackin'. The problem may be getting SSA literature in time.
They sent me about 50 recent magazine copies, and a couple of hunderd
brochures, applications, and 3 video tapes. They also sent a bunch of
embroidered glider hat stickers. Contact Denise at the SSA and see how
quickly you can get materials. I was surprised at the amount of
brochures and magazines I gave out. I had a few, maybe 40, brochures
and apps left. Everything else went. Of course, before giving out a
video, the person must be displaying WAY more interest than anyone
else, but magazines were primarily for adults, and hat stickers mostly
went to kids and scouts.

One more thing... put on sunscreen every time you think about it. I put
it on once, and it wasn't enough... my face fell off yesterday...

Jack

Jack wrote:
The Air Force is still active. There is another mission coming to the
site, but no announcements have been made. There is active construction
on base and a pretty good attitude among those who are here. The local
builders and bankers seem optomistic. My neighbor is an engineer for
base housing and that sort of thing. He says he wouldn't be here if the
base was closing...

That's as much as I've heard.

Jack Womack

F-105 and A-4 loss rates over North Vietnam KDR Naval Aviation 14 April 22nd 06 10:38 PM
AOPA Expo 2006 Jay Beckman Piloting 7 April 2nd 06 03:50 PM
Aviation Weather Workshop Locations for 2006! scottd Aviation Marketplace 0 December 10th 05 01:47 AM
USA / CFIG Recertification Clinic Schedule / 2006 / SSF [email protected] Soaring 0 November 29th 05 04:55 PM