Gloom

Old June 18th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

Default Gloom

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:07:22 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

concluded that General Aviation is no longer worth
pursuing

This may not have been decided quite as simplistically as you seem to
feel. Perhaps the conclusion was that Piper could not afford to catch up
with the likes of Cessna, Cirrus, whatever the company name is that builds
the Columbia 350/400, etc.

I was at a certain very large company a number of years ago that (1) spent
a lot of money on getting certain compilers developed and certified but
(2) chose to keep them out of the market because they couldn't compete
with the more lithe firms delivering equivalent products.

If it makes you feel better, the markets for those compilers still exist
(though there is plenty of linguistic competition {8^) and the company
that made that choice no longer exists (though the name lives on in a
rather ghoulish way {8^).

- Andrew

Old June 18th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Jose wrote:
But it's just SO
frustrating to see the skies over Iowa City slowly becoming empty
thanks to people in the industry who simply don't understand that
without an active, proactive interest in flight training EVERYTHING
stops in about ten years.

Ever think of starting an FBO? You've got your motel going, why not
attach an FBO to it and devote more of your time to aviation?

The answer is as follows:

Q: How do you make a small fortune in aviation?

A" Start with a large one.
Old June 18th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

AJ wrote:
Strange as it sounds, the LSA designation could be a door through
which future pilots can join the ranks. Younger crowds simply can't
juggle the expense of raising families, paying mortgages and flying,
while the older crowd has already paid off most of those bills and can
funnel cash to their flying pursuits.

That is the way things have been for the last 60 years.
What has changed is the competition for the surplus dollars.
As fuel prices rise, the cheap airfares are disappearing, making GA more
attractive on a per seat cost per flight basis.
Old June 18th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Larry Dighera wrote:
As I recall, the cost of fuel makes up the major portion of the cost
of aircraft ownership and operation. For those pilots who have
budgeted fixed amounts for aviation, that can only translate into
fewer hours flown.

Actually, (in my case) it is not.
As a renter, the hourly portion of the rate for fuel is perhaps 40% of
the total hourly rental cost. As I pay a wet rate, any fuel I add to the
aircraft does not cost me anything additional. I am reimbursed/credited
to my account any fuel costs I pay.
When one subtracts out the hourly fuel cost from the hourly rental rate,
the airplane is relatively rather inexpensive, given the fixed
acquisition costs.
Old June 18th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Perhaps -- but the majority of professional pilots are still trained
-- and hired by -- your local airport.

That can--and probably will--change in the future.
Old June 18th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:49:49 -0700, James Sleeman
wrote:

10 years from now, I expect that the large majority of recreational
and student pilots will behind the stick of an LSA,

Or a sailplane.

Or a simulator. No, I'm not joking.
Old June 18th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jose wrote:
Sorry but the legal system should [not] be able to
be used as a get rich quick program.

I agree (as corrected). But I am not proposing that it should, nor
am I proposing that the present system is not flawed.

Plaintiff wins
Plaintiff loses
Plaintiff's lawyer pays all costs because this suit is so without
merit that it is stupid. After any lawyer gets three of these they
are dis-barred.

This has some merit, but I would add

4: Defendent's lawyer pays all costs because their defense tactics
are so without merit that it is stupid and is only used to make it
difficult to bring legitimate suits against big corporations. Microsoft
comes to mind, as does Sony. (google "Sony Rootkit")

There is a judge in DC that is suing for $54Mil...

So? The problem isn't in the ability to bring suit, but in whether or
not it's taken seriously upon investigation.

This case actually made it to court without
being thrown out.

Were the clothes damaged? That is a legitimate tort. Only after the
facts are determined are the damages decided. In general, they cannot
be more than requested, but can be less. (Maybe this should be
reconsidered)

Was he =awarded= anything ridiculous?

Jose

Read some of the links on the site I posted and you decide. But unless,
before the dry cleaner lost the pants, he used them to beat the judge there
is no way this claim is worth $54mil.

Old June 18th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary[_2_]

On Jun 18, 3:06 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
10 years from now, I expect that the large majority of recreational
and student pilots will behind the stick of an LSA,

Or a simulator. No, I'm not joking.

Joking, no. Wrong, yes.

Old June 18th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ktbr

Montblack wrote:

The Public Legal Pannel needs to be for us citizens.

Here's how it works: A jury rules on what cases go to court.

Five people are appointed ...(per county, state, whatever)
Five people are picked .........(like a jury pool)
One person is randomly chosen as alternate, each day.

I concur... but these people should have more stringent
credentials than just being a *voter*. For a person to
be eligable to be on this panel they should:

1) Have no criminal record.
2) Have a job, or had a job and be retired.
3) Not be collecting a government check for subsistance
other than a Social Security or retirement check.
4) Not be a party in any pending lawsuit or legal action.

Some basic training would be required - 2 nights per week/ 10 weeks

If the people meet the simple criterai above, minimal
training will be neded and a fair decision will be probable.

Six month term, after training.

Like it.

They hear requests to go to court Mon-Wed-Sat(!)
(8am-10am) and (7pm-9pm)

Tue-Thur (same times) are for deliberations.

6-3 vote, your case moves forward.

You get up to 10 request (per case) to be ruled (voted) on. This goes
through, this does not, this is ok, this is outrageous, etc.

There, it's like putting the Supreme Court at the beginning of the process.

This is all excellent. We should do this today, why wait.
People would immediately see lower prices for goods and
services for everything.
Old June 18th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Montblack wrote:
("Gig 601XL Builder" wrote)
After any lawyer gets three of these they are dis-barred.

The American Bar Association is for the lawyers.

The Public Legal Pannel needs to be for us citizens.

Here's how it works: A jury rules on what cases go to court.

Five people are appointed ...(per county, state, whatever)
Five people are picked .........(like a jury pool)
One person is randomly chosen as alternate, each day.

Some basic training would be required - 2 nights per week/ 10 weeks

Six month term, after training.

They hear requests to go to court Mon-Wed-Sat(!)
(8am-10am) and (7pm-9pm)

Tue-Thur (same times) are for deliberations.

6-3 vote, your case moves forward.

You get up to 10 request (per case) to be ruled (voted) on. This goes
through, this does not, this is ok, this is outrageous, etc.

There, it's like putting the Supreme Court at the beginning of the
process.

Paul-Mont

Good idea and you could pay them each $100K per year and the state would
still get of cheap.