Harbor Freight aircraft tools

Old August 8th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charlie[_2_]

Default Harbor Freight aircraft tools

wrote:
It was bound to happen sooner or later

Dog-leg Deburring Tool, $8, item# 98262-0AZH
4-piece countersink set, $15, item# 98263-0AZG
Microstop Countersink cage adapter, $15, item# 98264-0AZG
(The above items may be found on page 36 of Catalog 163-B)

Cleco Pliers, $4.50, item# 97346-1NYH
(see pg 21 of Catalog 663-B)

However... (you knew that was coming, right? :-)

When I tried to order the deburring tool Harbor Freight said it didn't
recognize the number. So I sent a message to their Customer Service
people to make sure they knew there was a market for virtually any
aircraft-related tools they might care to offer.

The squeaking wheel DOES get the grease... eventually. If enough of
you guys will follow suit we could probably get Harbor Freight to
offer virtually everything needed to fill an aviation metalsmith's
toolbox.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking -- I'm not a big fan of Harbor
Freight''s quality either. But in some cases Good Enough is all you
need. For example, I've found that a Chinese cleco costing a nickel
works just as well as one costing six-bits.

-R.S.Hoover

For me, the ultimate problem with HF is that they seldom have the stuff
they advertise. We have a local store (meaning about a 25 mile drive
each way) & the hit rate for sale items is about 1 in 10. A few months
ago, I decided a few months ago that I was fed up with driving for a
sale item only to not find it & I'd just order on line. They had a great
deal advertised on a 4" grinder/cutoff tool at about $9, plus the cutoff
wheels for it at a good price. I ordered the tool, the wheels, & enough
cheapo odds & ends to justify the $10 shipping cost. After a couple of
weeks I received the odds & ends, the wheels, & no tool ('deleted' on
the invoice) for the wheels. But they did include their latest catalog,
advertising the tool at that great price.

Charlie
Old August 8th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

For me, the ultimate problem with HF is that they seldom have the
stuff
they advertise. We have a local store (meaning about a 25 mile drive
each way) & the hit rate for sale items is about 1 in 10.

Charlie- Hide quoted text -

I'm 1/2 way between 2 stores. My strategy is the same I used for toys
when I was a kid: circle all of the stuff in the catalog(s) that I
want. Develop budget limit for this trip. Find as many items on list
as possible. Consume remaining budget on c-clamps and specialty
pliers. A man can never have enough clamps or bent-end-long-reach-
needle-nose-internal-snap-ring pliers.

By the way, I highly recommend the 20ft. 1,000lb capacity yellow
ratchet tie-down straps. They are better than the ones at home cheap-o
and I got mine for $1.99 each. (I bought 1 to use and 3 spares.)

Harry

Old August 8th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Copperhead144

On Aug 8, 10:34*am, wright1902glider wrote:
[...]

Harry,

You made me choke on my coffee laughing when I read this because its
the very same thing I do. We have one HF store in town bit other's
within an easy driving distance so I keep a copy of the catalog flyer
with me and when in the area stop by one of the stores to see if they
have the item I'm looking for in stock. I also set aside the money I
intend to spend on said tool and wait until I find it. Works fine and
I don't overspend.

Joe
Old August 8th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Andy Asberry[_2_]

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 08:34:53 -0700 (PDT), wright1902glider
wrote:

[...]

Don't leave them in the sun. I used a couple on a three week trip.
When I got home, I could pull them in two with my hands.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Old August 9th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

wrote:

[...]

Andy: remind me not to disagree with you. I've been using some of those
for several years and I can't bust them with my hands. Whatever is in your
diet let me know and maybe you should cut back a bit.
Stu

Old August 9th 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Andy Asberry[_2_]

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 16:20:33 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
.. .

Don't leave them in the sun. I used a couple on a three week trip.
When I got home, I could pull them in two with my hands.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Andy: remind me not to disagree with you. I've been using some of those
for several years and I can't bust them with my hands. Whatever is in your
diet let me know and maybe you should cut back a bit.
Stu

No Herculean strength here. I will add to my statement. Mine are red
not yellow and they were exposed for the 3 weeks plus a week after
returning. I had simply looped it around the axle of my garden tractor
to pull it up to the trailer ramps. Almost turned to powder. Broke it
several more times just to see if the whole length was rotten.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Old August 10th 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Andy Asberry wrote:

No Herculean strength here. I will add to my statement. Mine are red
not yellow and they were exposed for the 3 weeks plus a week after
returning. I had simply looped it around the axle of my garden tractor
to pull it up to the trailer ramps. Almost turned to powder. Broke it
several more times just to see if the whole length was rotten.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Your airplane fabric will behave the same way if you don't get a good
coat of that aluminum powder paint on it. So would the same strap
bought of $10 at a big-box store.

Polyester just can't handle the sun.

Old August 10th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

"Ernest Christley" wrote in message
Andy Asberry wrote:

No Herculean strength here. I will add to my statement. Mine are red
not yellow and they were exposed for the 3 weeks plus a week after
returning. I had simply looped it around the axle of my garden tractor
to pull it up to the trailer ramps. Almost turned to powder. Broke it
several more times just to see if the whole length was rotten.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Your airplane fabric will behave the same way if you don't get a good coat
of that aluminum powder paint on it. So would the same strap bought of
$10 at a big-box store.

Polyester just can't handle the sun.

Amen! We used some polyester rope on our catamaran. In the sun it didn't
last long enough to even talk about. Polyester rope must have been designed
for use in basements and long tunnels.

Stu

Old August 10th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .

Amen! We used some polyester rope on our catamaran. In the sun it didn't
last long enough to even talk about. Polyester rope must have been
designed for use in basements and long tunnels.

Sure it wasn't polypropolene? (spelling?)

Polyester should last for quiet a while Polypro turns to dust pretty fast.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 11th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Bryan Martin wrote:
Polypropylene rope is often simply called "poly rope" and sold as such,
so some might think the "poly" is short for polyester. Polypropylene
rope is cheap and light (it floats on water) but it doesn't tolerate
direct sunlight for long.

Depending on how you define "for long", neither will polyester. Unless
specifically treated with UV blockers, three weeks is a long time for
polyester. If treated with the UV blockers, "long" may run into months
(maybe).

CAD Tools For Aircraft Design Le Chaud Lapin Piloting 9 September 26th 07 01:47 PM
LA Times : Freight Dogs G Farris Instrument Flight Rules 1 January 13th 05 01:02 PM
Freight Dogs Dennis O'Connor Piloting 6 January 29th 04 03:37 AM
Air liner (air freight) hit by MANPAD Token Military Aviation 24 December 2nd 03 05:36 AM