Kent Gliding Club (UK)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 27th 05, 03:35 PM
Justin Fielding

Default Kent Gliding Club (UK)

Hi guys, I have been thinking about starting to fly gliders (I have
previously flown R/C and Paragliders). I am based in the Southern
London suburbs, Kenley is only about 15 mins from me, but they do not
fly over the weekends from what I can tell, so for a person who works
Mon-Fri this makes it pretty much useless. It seems that the next
closest club is the Kent Gliding Club. This is quite a distance, I went
down to take a look at the location on Sunday, it took about 75 mins
(with no traffic) which is not too bad, although factoring in the cost
of petrol it will pretty much double the cost of flying and I am not
sure I can stretch that far.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of a closer club (I'm sure there
isn't one, but it doesn't hurt to ask)?

Also just a few questions that I think anyone will be able to answer...

How much commitment is expected from a club member? I saw on the KGC
website mention of duty rosters etc??? What participation level is
expected, can I simply go along to learn to fly, or does one have to be
fully involved in all activites? I am very limited on the time so I am
not sure how much I can commit!?!

I have been thinking about taking a 1 day course, and then if I like the
club/people etc join up. Any members of the KGC on here?

Also can someone recommend an introductory book on the subject? I have
a good grounding in soaring (well I think so anyway, from R/C and a
little Paragliding), but not in this area.

Thanks,

Justin.