So much for straight-out fights...

Old April 2nd 18, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default So much for straight-out fights...

Whether its Kowbell Klassic, Dust Devil Dash, Crystal Squadron, or Ramy on a safari...
The OLC League now requires that a flight not only start within 15km of the launch point, but also end within 15km of the start point.
Jim

Breaking News: OLC’s League/Speed-Update - Hands up for the Sport of Soaring

It is no big secret that during the past few years ‘motorized glider pilots’ have been taking advantage of their engines to strategically enlarge their Speed- and League-distances and thus fly faster and farther than others. We have been keeping an eye on this practice for a while but never thought it would be anti-competitive. It seemed not (yet) necessary to change the rules.
But this has fundamentally changed in the 2017 OLC-season: During our annual League-closing event in Poppenhausen last October, a study of selected league-rounds was presented and commented to the audience. It became obvious that especially during those rounds with less favorable soaring conditions the tactical options you have have with auxiliary powered gliders have been exerted more and more (e.g. returning from a better region after a good flight). Competitors with unpowered gliders do not have the chance to win such a weekend - a League weekend with minor weather is dominated by almost 2/3 auxiliary powered gliders (and about half of them are actually using their engines under these conditions).
Statistics show that in good weather half of the League competitors do not even have an engine available. During such a weekend for example only 7.5% of the ‘pure’ gliders end up landing out while - despite good weather conditions - about 30% of the powered ships pull their engines to fly home. After a close look into the statistics it is obvious: Those significantly many engine-helped returns were tactically planned (e.g. to take advantage of long downwind legs). This effect has now tilted the scores in an extreme way and distorts the competitive element when comparing (auxiliary) powered and unpowered sailplanes flying together in their particular OLC-Leagues.
We have decided to now step in and adjust the problematic element. OLC is changing the rules in a way so it is completely irrelevant for a League- or Speed-task if a competing glider is equipped with an engine or not.
The idea is by the way part of our OLC-philosophy which has been enunciated more than 15 years ago, which is still valid and has never been altered: OLC does not differentiate between (auxiliary) motorized and unpowered sailplanes.
Beginning March 30, we will in addition to the well known start circle now be introducing a finish circle with a radius of 15 km.
The additional and definite new rule says:
Subsequent to the finish point of the sprint the unpowered flight has to conclude inside or cross a cylinder with a radius of 15 km around the start point.
Old April 2nd 18, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It's almost as if motorgliders should race against motorgliders...
Old April 2nd 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

OLC does not rule the skies and can not dictate where we take off or
land.Â* Glider pilots of the world - Unite!Â* Throw off your chains! Go
fly and have fun.Â* Use some other logging site and post your results
here.Â* We'd all love to hear about it.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 2nd 18, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Only for league flights...I don't care about that side of the olc
Old April 2nd 18, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 8:44:26 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:
The OLC League now requires that a flight not only start within 15km
of the launch point, but also end within 15km of the start point.

Well, league speed can be considered a racing task, and most speed races are on a closed course. So it does make some sense.

5Z
Old April 2nd 18, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I stopped caring about OLC league points when they introduced the silly 15km start. I don’t fly a motorglider yet nearly half my flights start with a tow longer than 15km, which is often needed in California to get to the lift. I tried convincing the OLC folks at the time but they wouldn’t listen.

Ramy
Old April 2nd 18, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 12:03:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Well, league speed can be considered a racing task, and most speed races are on a closed course. So it does make some sense.

5Z

Sean, would you like to weigh in on that comment about OLC League Speed being a racing task? :-)

Hardly, Tom. It is the fastest 2.5 hour segment during your flight. All they did is made it so you have to start and end your soaring performance within 15 KM of the same place to get OLC League Speed Points. The start and end of the Speed League segment don't have to be within 15 KM of each other. At least, not by my read of it.

As Dan said, "Go fly and have fun!"

Steve Leonard
Old April 3rd 18, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

[...]

Well since I'm a straight-out kind of guy....just another reason to forget about OLC.
I know we are a small minority but it is now time to consider something other than OLC. I haven't paid much attention to other then OLC but something better at least for us out-to-lunch-bunch must be out there, if not.....it!
Old April 3rd 18, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Try crosscountry.aero

Nice interface, good statistics and maps.
Old April 3rd 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 5:03:05 PM UTC-7, Dave Springford wrote:
Try crosscountry.aero

Nice interface, good statistics and maps.

Thank you, I just signed on.....looks promising