Seattle area soaring?

Old July 23rd 19, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seattle area soaring?

hello! my name is kevin and i am trying to get a schedule to have my dad go up in one of evergreen soaring gliders. he has wanted to ride for as long as i can remember. he lives in north marysville and frequently goes out to the airport and watches. but every time i go on the scheduling site for a ride for his birthday they are always full. i know it's volunteer basis but can i get a idea when someone would be available to take him up? please let me know
kevin wahlgren

Old July 24th 19, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Evergreen is unfortunately behind some TSA gate and hasn't figured out how to be public-friendly. After moving to the area a few years back one of my soaring mentors popped by to visit, thinking he could get involved - they clanged the gate in his face and told him to check the website. Game over!
Old July 24th 19, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello Kevin,
I am sorry to hear that you have had such a difficult time trying to schedule a ride with Evergreen Soaring. As a member and former officer of the club, I can assure you that we are keenly interested in spreading the gospel of soaring. The best way to do that is through experiencing it first hand. Please, visit the website: http://www.evergreensoaring.info/demoflight
It is true that walk ups are not easily accommodated due to airport restrictions and other ever emerging hurdles. Unfortunately, the airport management has approached us directly and warned us about tempting people to cross the ramp with our glider operations. In the eyes of those who are responsible for and manage airports, pedestrians not familiar with airport operations are seen as a hazard and a liability. However, we see people who approach us as potential glider pilots. We are forced to strike a balance by complying with the airport rules while still trying to encourage interested people to come and go soaring with us. The reservations are the compromise, and it also allows for us to ensure we have the right people and right equipment in place for that demonstration ride. Should you decide Evergreen Soaring is not a good fit for your demonstration ride, I would still strongly encourage you to make the effort and find a place to experience gliding.

Happy Landings,
Jim Dobberfuhl
Evergreen Soaring
Old July 24th 19, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

It’s actually not a TSA gate. AWO doesn’t have that level of security. It’s an airport management/ liability thing. Unfortunately the only way to join Evergreen Soaring or schedule a ride is through the website. The other alternative is if you know a member they can show you around.

I joined the club 4 years ago and have had a great experience! They have several cross country encampments throughout the summer. Evergreen Soaring is generally well run mostly by the member volunteers.

The other thing to realize is Evergreen Soaring is very cross country centric. Take a look at the mission statement on the website. http://www.evergreensoaring.info/

As Jim said we look at every person that takes a ride as a potential new pilot/member.

Hope this helps!
Charlie

Old July 25th 19, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

8 of them
2x Pawnee
2x Blanik L-23