Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

Old July 25th 19, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

On Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 10:22:27 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
This pilot made a DEEP entry into the US w/o, apparently, following the laws of the US:

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7436890

Here is what you have to do PRIOR to flying into the US, regardless of whether or not you are a US citizen:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...ions/airspace/

Here is just one excerpt:

All civil, private aircraft entering the U.S. must first land at an airport of entry before continuing to their destinations, unless other arrangements are made with U.S. CBP.

The penalties for violating these laws is pretty stiff, including confiscation of the offending aircraft. And, if you are going to break US law anyhow, DON'T post your flight on the Internet!

This flight would have never happened in the winter months, all the Canadians would be in Florida.
Old July 25th 19, 09:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....ightinfo.html?

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...tions/airspace
/

Here is just one excerpt:

All civil, private aircraft entering the U.S. must first land at an

airport of entry before continuing to their destinations, unless

other
arrangements are made with U.S. CBP.

The penalties for violating these laws is pretty stiff, including

confiscation of the offending aircraft. And, if you are going to break

US
law anyhow, DON'T post your flight on the Internet!

This flight would have never happened in the winter months, all

the
Canadians would be in Florida.

********, that's when the wave of the Rockies is usually the best,
maybe you have seen some of Chester's earlier flights. Nobody
mentioning Kieth Essex's flights across the border into Canada a few
years ago I see. I guess you guys should be afraid -War of 1812.
FFS what a thing to post -did you check the facts first with the pilot
about what happened before posting?

Old July 25th 19, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:54:13 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:
On Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 11:02:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 10:52:06 PM UTC-4, Charles Longley wrote:
You need to read up on the laws a little bit. You don’t need to clear customs if you don’t land.

True, but don't forget the overflight fees:

Fees in U.S.-Controlled Airspace:

The FAA charges overflight fees to operators of aircraft that fly in U.S.-controlled airspace, but neither take off nor land in the United States.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/inte...erflight_fees/

Just for clarification - how is US-controlled airspace defined in this case? Does that mean any airspace over US territory regardless whether an ATC service was provided or controlled airspace like Class A, B, etc.? The pilot of the Arcus M took good care staying out of Class A and there is no other controlled airspace in his flight path, so would that overflight fee apply?
And yes - that was an awesome flight! :-)

Uli
'AS'

"Controlled" airspace includes A B C D E. Only G is not controlled(i.e under the oversight of radar).
UH
Old July 25th 19, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

I'm just curious if he had a transponder (powered on) in his glider and if he had been detected crossing the border would have found himself in a thermal with some exciting US military hardware? Ditto question if he was flying out of Mexico!
Old July 25th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good morning, everybody! I'm the pilot of that beautiful glider.

A few points

1) I have the transponder on all the time when I'm over 10,000 feet (or in controlled airspace, or America) - which means I'm being data logged by ATC, flightradar24, etc. I fly as if I'm visible all the time.

2) I file a flight plan for any flight that might require clearances. You Americans are lucky (at least in Montana), we have Class B airways all over the place in Canada.

3) I start talking to Salt Lake well before crossing over, keeps the blood pressure down on the air defense types.

4) It is necessary to get pre-clearance to land in the USA. I have done so but the conditions prevented the trip). US customs tells me they don't want me to do so on every overflight. They would prefer to see emergencies treated as such.

Many Canadian glider pilots are also very confused by how to legally overfly the USA. Pretty simple - file flight plan, use transponder and get unique squawk code, talk to ATC, don't land out.

Old July 25th 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 7/24/2019 8:22 PM, 2G wrote:
This pilot made a DEEP entry into the US w/o, apparently, following the
laws of the US:

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7436890

Remainder of thread-originating post snipped...

Judging from the later-in-thread post from the pilot of this flight, the
"Subject"-line and assertion above are (apparently) seriously incorrect. Kinda
makes *me* wonder why someone would choose to post this sort of (easily taken
to be) "in your face" assertion, under its OVERT thread-header (instead of -
say - a more-reasonably-phrased question beneath a more neutrally-colored
"Subject"-line). Different strokes, I guess...

Great flight, IMO!

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old July 25th 19, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Awesome flight Chester! I recommend in the future to add a comment in OLC indicating the legality of the flight. We often do this when we get clearance to fly in restricted airspace, to calm down the fun police. I am waiting for Tom (2G) to say “sorry, my bad for not checking with the pilot before posting”.

Ramy
Old July 25th 19, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm happy to see the fears about cross-border flights get hashed out in a public forum.

After my last flight well into the USA, I called Helena and Great Falls customs, to discuss what would have happened if I had landed out. They had both heard about the flight. ATC wasn't 100% convinced I was not going to land, and had called customs. Lesson learned - be totally clear in your flight plan.

I will make a note in OLC in the future that the overflight was legal.
Old July 25th 19, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

So I fly out of Ephrata and Arlington, WA. What would make the Canadians happy if I flew into their airspace? I am probably going to install a transponder this winter.