Ventus C, 15m vs 17.6m

Old August 1st 19, 01:13 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N. View Post
On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 10:58:25 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I will explain what happens. When flying in the 17.6 configuration, and letting go of the rudder pedals on a straight line, every time a gust pushes the nose to one direction the nose will stay there and you are not flying coordinated any more. Need rudder input to correct. No rudder input and the nose will move from side to side randomly (fish tail). No big deal, but needs attention.
This does not happen in 15 M configuration.
I believe in later Ventuses they increased the tail.
Dan

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 4:38:44 PM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 8:40:41 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Longer wings are better for weaker conditions. As mentioned before, the 17.6 meter wing make the glider "fish tail" a bit in a straight line flight.
Dan

I get this in my Kestrel 19, but always considered it to be resulting from rudder flow and the lack of good sealing so the flow attaches and detaches side to side, e.g. laminar to turbulent, thus the movement.

However, you seem to describe something that happens on your Ventus that doesn't happen with in the 15m configuration, is that correct?

Frank Whiteley

I saw this fishtailing was an issue in the Ventus A&B was it resolved in the C or not?

Thanks
Can't say I've noticed this in my Va in 15m or 16.6 which has winglets in both configurations or in either of the b models I used to fly. I suspect that some do it and some don't largely depending on the condition of the aircraft and sometimes as a result of the 'loose nut' behind the wheel :-)

None of the Vc pilots in my old club mentioned this a being a problem either so your guess is good as mine.

I have found that having the yaw string further fwd on the canopy makes it (the yaw string) a lot twitchier than if it's further back so that may be leading to an impression of instability. C/g position also makes a difference too and the further back I went, less stablility in all axes was the result.

2 VbT pilots in my club were quite often ground looping but I didn't have that problem at all with the shorter tailboom on mv Va. All towing from the belly hook, go figure?!

:-) Colin
Old August 1st 19, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default Ventus C, 15m vs 17.6m

Again : My Ventus cM doesn't do that.
Maybe I have a special one ?
Old August 1st 19, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I had a Ventus B 16.6 and it never did that. It had the C mod on the root fairing.

CH
Old August 2nd 19, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Good to know. Thanks.
Old August 3rd 19, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Fishtailing? You mean yaw?
Old August 3rd 19, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 7:16:21 PM UTC-4, Mike N. wrote:
Just curious, how is the performance of the Ventus C with 17.6m tips installed versus standard 15m with good winglets?

I have done some searching and seen some consensus that the 16.6m tips are typically not used much due to the performance degradation at high air speeds. But what about the 17.6 tips?

Expected conditions would be soaring in Florida.
I also fly Utah, but not thinking I'd need the extra L/D in Utah unless on a weak day.

Also are the 17.6 tips available? What would a set of 17.6 tips cost?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Where will you be flying in Florida?

Flying against Alfonso Eurado (E9) and Benny Flowers in their Ventus C sailplanes, you don't need 17-meter tips. It was an awesome machine at 15M! Benny was always playing with new winglets but Fonzie still had an advantage, (IMHO) with the stock wings.

Best Regards

Gary
ASW27b
(SQ)
Currently at Seminole Lake
Old August 3rd 19, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes neutral stability in yaw. Requires some rudder input to keep going straight on a bumpy day.
Dan
On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 8:56:48 PM UTC-4, Glidergeek wrote:
Fishtailing? You mean yaw?

Old August 3rd 19, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Fonzie was Fonzie....sorta hard to compare.
Yes, I flew against him a number of times in the NE.
Yes, I have heard of some amazing (even for me) outlandings.

I miss him, quite a character, but, always willing to help.....him and his better 1/2 and dog.....
Old August 4th 19, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 4:19:12 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Fonzie was Fonzie....sorta hard to compare.
Yes, I flew against him a number of times in the NE.
Yes, I have heard of some amazing (even for me) outlandings.

I miss him, quite a character, but, always willing to help.....him and his better 1/2 and dog.....

I had more fun flying with Fonzie at the club in Miami.

A short story.... There are many with the Fonz.

Late one Sunday afternoon, we were all sitting around the table after a good day of soaring, all telling lies on how bad we beat our buddies in the last thermal.

Oh wait, where's Fonzie?

Hey, get on the radio and see if he's out there... Late in the day, sun dropping under the horizon.

Hey Fonz, are you out there, we barked over the radio?

Fonzie comes back, yeah, I'm fifty miles out coming back from flamingo and not sure if I'm going to make it. Flamingo is a complete track over the Florida everglades with coral rocks and alligators...

OK, Fonz, as we asked again, can you get home?

The typical Fonz answer, "GOT TO" (It was so perfect with that Ecuadorian accent)

A short time later, as always, 3 high-speed passes and a beautiful landing in his Ventus C...

I miss Alfonso...

RIP, E9.

Gary
Old August 4th 19, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

We are in the process of moving to the North Port area from Utah.

I'll be flying out of TBSS or Seminole. I flew at TBSS for a month and enjoyed it.
I have yet to fly at Seminole and am looking forward to it.

Ventus 3 [email protected] Soaring 17 December 29th 15 02:02 AM
Ventus 2c vs. 2cx noel.wade Soaring 19 June 27th 13 02:36 AM
Ventus bT BillT Soaring 2 March 19th 11 10:38 AM
FS Ventus 2cx in CO,USA SAM AND LEIGH ZIMMERMAN Soaring 5 June 4th 08 10:45 AM
Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 January 17th 05 06:48 PM