IS-28B2 Twin Lark - Service Life Extension Program

Old March 1st 15, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default IS-28B2 Twin Lark - Service Life Extension Program

On Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 11:44:02 PM UTC+2, Peter Whitehead wrote:
On Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:44:11 PM UTC+1, Pat McCartan wrote:
Our club owns an I.C.A.-BRASOV IS-28B2 Twin Lark which is grounded because it has exceeded its 35 year factory maintenance program service life. About a year ago the current type certificate holder, S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A., announced it intended to submit a Service Life Extension Program (SLEP) to EASA - with follow-on submission to the FAA. We are no longer able to reach S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A. by phone - and they do not respond to emails. Can anyone shed any light on the status of the SLEP or offer any contact information for S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A.? We enjoy this ship and would like to return it to service.

Hi, my name is Pete Whitehead. I own an IS29D and also two IS-28B2's ( Twin Larks) in the UK.
MY friend has just received his Service Bulletin for his IS-29D, glider serial no. specific, from the Type Cert. Holders S.C. Constructii etc. He had to pay 1150 Euro for this bit of paper, but he will be flying again soon. I have been in touch, paid my 1150 Euro , and should receive the S.B for my own IS-29D in the next 7 days. The life extension is indefinite, subject to the inspection programme etc.
We have contacts with the Type Cert. Holder. I shall be next pursuing the provision of S.B's for my two IS-28B2's.

I am willing to negotiate ( on a voluntary basis) the S.B's for all IS-28B2 owners, provided you give me the info. re Type, Serial No., Date of manufacture, and also the number and date on your Service/maintenance manual for the glider. Clearly the Type Cert Holders are going to demand money per glider but we can see what we can do. Our contact is English speaking and now answers emails quickly, so there is some hope in the situation now.

Pete Whitehead .

Good day,

I'm reading your post now about the SB for an IS29.
I own and IS29-D2 myself, and someone at my club has an IS28.

According to an email from EASA, IAR is official bankrupt, and they will most likely issue a Special Airworthiness Specification.

I intend to get that from them, and then carry the SB and submit that to my CAA as 'alternate means of compliance'.

Would you be able to assist me with English version of the SB?

Kind regards,

Erich
Old March 19th 15, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat McCartan

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 9:31:44 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Hi Eric,

Did you ever receive the service SB you referred to. We own a life-limited IS-28B2 and would like to join you in any project to extend the life of this aircraft.
Old April 15th 15, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, 18 March 2013 08:44:02 UTC+11, Peter Whitehead wrote:
[...]

Pete Whitehead, if you're still around and in contact with the person you discuss here, can you let me know ? The @rdslink.ro email address I was given (which may have been 10th hand after your post here) is reporting full, and I suspect may no longer be actively read nor involved in these life extensions.

Failing that, does anyone know what the current state of the life extension program is, whether there are any open avenues remaining?
Old September 3rd 15, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Whitehead

Posted by Pete Whitehead on 3rd Sept 2015
AT last some good news. I have received an email on 2nd Sept 2015 from the Rumanian Aeroclub, an excerpt is as follows..
"Dear sir/madame,

The Romanian Aeroclub would like to inform you that has requested and obtained the EASA approval for an STC which replaces the lifetime limitation of 35 calendar years by periodical inspection (structural health control) on every 2 years for IS-28B2 gliders.
Romanian Aeroclub will apply this STC for its own gliders and plans to apply it to the IS-28B2 gliders which are under private property. Please inform us if you are interested in respect with this particular STC and if so, communicate us how many gliders are in this situation...."

So the paperwork is now there, and I hope we can look forwards to getting our IS28's (Twin Larks) back in the air soon. Pete Whitehead
Old September 3rd 15, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, 3 September 2015 16:21:39 UTC+10, Peter Whitehead wrote:
[...]

Awesome news. Any chance there's details of IS-29's ? And if not, any chance you can ask if they're included, excluded, not yet considered?
Old September 4th 15, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Whitehead

Brett, our IS29's, that's 2 of them, which I own,in the UK ( single seat Larks) have been flying for over 1 year now. I sent my SB (Service Bulletin) to the USA and as far as far as I know they have used my glider-specific SB to be used for all IS29 gliders there.
Where are you located? If you contact me directly I can always arrange for you to have a copy. Pete

Old September 4th 15, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kurt[_3_]

On Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 9:44:11 AM UTC-5, Pat McCartan wrote:
Our club owns an I.C.A.-BRASOV IS-28B2 Twin Lark which is grounded because it has exceeded its 35 year factory maintenance program service life. About a year ago the current type certificate holder, S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A., announced it intended to submit a Service Life Extension Program (SLEP) to EASA - with follow-on submission to the FAA. We are no longer able to reach S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A. by phone - and they do not respond to emails. Can anyone shed any light on the status of the SLEP or offer any contact information for S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A.? We enjoy this ship and would like to return it to service.

Do you have an e mail address for the Romanian Aero Club, or a way to contact them? we have a Lark IS28 we would like to get back in service. Thanks!
Old September 4th 15, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was in Hawaii and found out that a Lark was flying there. As I was told, if you have a Standard category aircraft the service limit does not apply in the US. One of our club members took up the effort with the FAA and ours is under going annual so that we can begin flying again.
Old September 4th 15, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Please sent me both Service life Extension programms for IS28 and IS29 if they are available

Thank you very much!
Old September 8th 15, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Den fredag den 4. september 2015 kl. 00.22.11 UTC+2 skrev :
[...]

Are there also news for the IS28M2? Any contact details for obtaining a SB for them?
We have a IS28M2 in rather good condition and it will be a pitty not to be able to extend its life.

IAR IS-28B2 Twin Lark Manuals Needed Markus Graeber Soaring 3 July 8th 12 10:54 AM
Lark life extension lanebush Soaring 7 March 17th 10 04:50 AM
Grob 103 Twin II Life Extension Mike McCarron[_2_] Soaring 2 May 18th 09 01:15 PM
Grob 103 Twin II Life Extension Mike McCarron[_2_] Soaring 2 May 18th 09 02:49 AM
IS-28B2 Twin Lark status Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 4 June 17th 08 03:34 PM