Waxing and polishing

Old March 4th 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Waxing and polishing

I seem to recall asking Fidel about silicone in waxes.Â* He said not to
worry about it.

On 3/3/2019 2:59 PM, BobW wrote:
On 3/3/2019 12:08 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Snip...

I've been told to never use silicone based polish because it is said
to make repairs to fibreglass or carbon structures very difficult or
impossible to repair.

In fact I remember reading that here, so it must be true!

OTOH I've not seen any publications that mention the effect of
silicone contamination on repairability. The only article on
repairing FRP structures I've seen, in a search I just carried out,
that even mentions contamination in any detail is:

https://compositesuk.co.uk/system/files/documents/
repairoffrpstructures.pdf

It has a short section about contamination (half a page in a 33 page
PDF document) that mentions "fuel, oil, hydraulic fluid, etc" and
moisture, but
says nothing about the perils of silicone-based polishes.

The other 2-3 publications my search turned up that didn't turn out
to be pushing supplier's products either did not mention
contamination at all, or
gave no details apart from describing how to sand through surface
finish.

So, what's the deal?

Are silicone-containing polishes etc to be shunned?

Can anybody recommend an FRP repair publication that gives any more
details
about dealing with contamination than the one I quoted above?

Lordy, it must be winter in the northern hemisphere!

Certainly there's no harm in avoiding 'silicone-ingrediented' waxes,
but IMO 'commonly-held views' on the subject border on religious
arguments in that 'proof of one's beliefs' is rarely part of the
discussion.

So while we're polling, let's not forget including FRP repair shops'
inputs. My own direct shop-input querying-experience - *not* repairs,
sardonic chuckle - includes a mere 3 (4 counting a long-ago RAS post
by JJ Sinclair), and, so far, each puts "Silicone = Bad!" into the
urban myth category. Further, who can point me toward an accident
report involving structural failure of a repaired FRP glider, that has
'fingered' silicone as a contributing factor?

N.B. For the disputatiously-inclined, I am NOT recommending spraying
every accessible surface of your bird with silicone spray (a little
common sense can go a long way), but rather positing that 'fretting
over its presence in wax,' arguably falls into the
urban-myth/anally-self-inflicted worry category.

YMMV, of course...

Bob - last night's low -1 deg F. here - W.

---
https://www.avg.com

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 4th 19, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 16:05:30 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

Thanks Dan and Bob. Noted for future reference.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old March 4th 19, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I also asked Fidel about silicone in wax. He held up an angle grinder with a sanding disc and said it was tougher than any silicone he's encountered. But he also recommended Carnauba wax for its sealing properties.
Old March 4th 19, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 2:18:24 PM UTC-6, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Since winter is nearly ending and I'm doing final adjustments to my glider, I was wondering. Is it interesting to wax and polish it? I've seen a set of products he https://www.theaerodyne.com/gb/care-...ider-care.html

D-1339

My glider is painted in arcylic urethane ... I clean it up and then use Glare polish.

https://www.glare.com/products?cid=Mg%3D%3D&pn=Aviation

Keeps it protected, nice and shiny.

Bob
Old March 4th 19, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Lessnick 51P

I have not used any hard wax product for years on any of my vehicles (cars, planes, sailplanes etc).

I've been SUPER happy with JetShine from PERMANON. It's a bit expensive but takes almost ZERO effort to apply. The activating bonding ingredient is water and one just simply sprays it on a clean surface then wipes off the excess. It is "nano-technology" and protects the surface beautifully while protecting it from UV. After using this stuff for almost 10 years, I'd be hard pressed to ever go back to hard wax and buffing wheels!

https://jetshineusa.com
Old March 4th 19, 09:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op zaterdag 2 maart 2019 21:18:24 UTC+1 schreef Senna Van den Bosch:
Since winter is nearly ending and I'm doing final adjustments to my glider, I was wondering. Is it interesting to wax and polish it? I've seen a set of products he https://www.theaerodyne.com/gb/care-...ider-care.html

D-1339

Going a bit off topic here, not really looking for materials or products, just want to know, is it worth it to wax and polish the glider? For example, keeping it in great condition, smooth and shiny?
Old March 4th 19, 10:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 9:08:48 PM UTC+2, Martin Gregorie wrote:
Are silicone-containing polishes etc to be shunned?

Can anybody recommend an FRP repair publication that gives any more
details about dealing with contamination than the one I quoted above?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

I know at least one refinish of a glider that was ruined because removal of silicone from surfaces was not done properly. They had to sand and paint glider twice.

It is probably impossible to avoid silicon completely, many car waxes have it without any mention in specs. But if you have a chance of avoiding it, please do.

I wax my glider with hard paste-style Collinite. With normal "easy to apply"- fluid waxes (=most likely to have silicone) the wax wears off pretty fast from leading edges.

Old March 4th 19, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Smith

At 09:44 04 March 2019, krasw wrote:
[...]

One of my chums has done some research on polishes.
Most polishes and waxes contain silicone, here are the one’s that
don’t. Most were checked by looking at the Safety Data Sheet.

Vistal Cleaning: “One boat cleaner”.
Boatsheen: “Best Brazilian boat wax” – carnauba wax blended into a
cream.
BulletPolish: “Carnauba Quick Spray wax” – a cleaner with wax but no
abrasives.
Yachtca “High gloss finish” – a polishing and waxing paste.
Starbrite: “Presoftened boat wax” – based on carnauba wax but
softened for hand application.
Starbrite: “Marine polish” – polishes and waxes (Carnauba not
mentioned).
Starbrite: “Hull cleaner”. (NB Premium and products with PTEF contain
silicone.)

The 3M products Perfect-it Light cutting Polish & Wax and Perfect-it Boat
Wax both contain silicone. Meguiars Boat/RV pure wax contains silicone,
don’t know about Meguiars Flagship Marine wax.

Putting the company name into Google finds all of the above.

From the above info the Starbrite range or the Vistal Cleaning “One boat
cleaner” with Boatsheen “Best Brazilian boat wax” look attractive. I
guess the only way to evaluate them is try them?

(I use the Vistal product on my LS8 and Cobra trailer to clean the surfaces
prior to polishing and it works really well.)

Hope this helps. Mike

Old March 4th 19, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

In a round about way, people are saying, "yes it's worth waxing your sailplane". They do this by stating what they use to do it.
Old March 4th 19, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Does anyone have any experience with the F11 product marketed in the US for cars and boats. Their website says it is silicone free.

https://www.ducora.com/index.php/top...-polish-sealer

Buffer for Waxing & Polishing Mike the Strike Soaring 13 February 17th 13 10:29 PM
Waxing Poetic On Flying Jay Beckman Piloting 4 October 30th 06 06:17 PM
Sanding or Waxing - PIK 20 Question culverflyer Soaring 22 September 22nd 05 09:01 PM
Polishing & Waxing Go Soaring 8 March 24th 05 03:15 PM
Wing Waxing Marske Flying Wings Soaring 2 September 10th 03 02:59 AM