My "stupid" transponder question now...

Old September 16th 05, 04:59 AM
Peter R.

Gig 601XL Builder wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote:

Then why would we ever be asked to ident?

I often get asked to IDENT upon reaching a specific altitude when departing
IFR below radar coverage. Since it normally takes a few minutes to reach
the altitude where asked to do so, perhaps an IDENT is a way for the
controller to immediately be reminded that my aircraft has appeared, in the
event s/he has gone on to other tasks.

--
Peter

Old September 16th 05, 05:19 AM
tony roberts

If tower says ident - then ident.
If they don't - then don't.

Tony
C-GICE
In article s.net,
"Chris G." nospam@noemail wrote:

To IDENT or not to IDENT, that is the question...

What do you guys do when given a squawk code? Once you enter the code,
is that it, or do you then hit the IDENT key, even if not requested? My
habit is to always hit IDENT so it makes it easier and faster (in this
area with realatively little traffic) to identify me positively on his
screen.

Chris

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old September 16th 05, 04:24 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Chris G." nospam@noemail wrote in message
enews.net...

To IDENT or not to IDENT, that is the question...

What do you guys do when given a squawk code?

Enter the code.

Once you enter the code, is
that it, or do you then hit the IDENT key, even if not requested?

That's it, you don't IDENT without being instructed to.

My habit is to always hit IDENT so it makes it easier and faster (in this
area with realatively little traffic) to identify me positively on his
screen.

That doesn't make identification faster or easier.

Old September 16th 05, 07:16 PM
Matt Whiting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Chris G." nospam@noemail wrote in message

My habit is to always hit IDENT so it makes it easier and faster (in this
area with realatively little traffic) to identify me positively on his
screen.

That doesn't make identification faster or easier.

What's the purpose then of the IDENT function?

Matt
Old September 17th 05, 06:46 AM
tony roberts

What's the purpose then of the IDENT function?

The ident function is for the controller - not the pilot.
Hitting ident temporarily deletes every aircraft from the radar screen
except yours!
So if I were a busy controller, watching a potentially developing
situation, and some dumbass entering the zone hits ident and wipes out
my screens for a few seconds - I'm going to be slightly less than
impressed.
It's kinda like hiring a carpenter, he's upstairs, you are downstairs
and you arbitrarily decide to switch on his power saw.
If he wants your help - he will ask for it.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old September 17th 05, 11:37 AM
Bob Noel

In article nospam-F2123A.22461516092005@shawnews,
tony roberts wrote:

What's the purpose then of the IDENT function?

The ident function is for the controller - not the pilot.

true

Hitting ident temporarily deletes every aircraft from the radar screen
except yours!

Not true for any ATC radar screen I've seen, military or civilian.

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old September 17th 05, 11:40 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

What's the purpose then of the IDENT function?

It's for radar identification, but observing a code change is also a means
of radar identification. Using two methods of identification doesn't make
it faster or easier.

Old September 17th 05, 11:48 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"tony roberts" wrote in message

The ident function is for the controller - not the pilot.
Hitting ident temporarily deletes every aircraft from the radar screen
except yours!
So if I were a busy controller, watching a potentially developing
situation, and some dumbass entering the zone hits ident and wipes out
my screens for a few seconds - I'm going to be slightly less than
impressed.

I had to read that twice to make sure you were serious. Hitting the ident
doesn't delete anything, it just enhances the target of the identing
aircraft.

Old September 19th 05, 03:19 AM
tony roberts

I had to read that twice to make sure you were serious. Hitting the ident
doesn't delete anything, it just enhances the target of the identing
aircraft.

When I toured the Kelowna Control Tour, they told us that they don't
like aircraft Identing unless requested. They then asked an aircraft to
ident so we could see what happened.

As I recall it, the identing aircraft was highlighted and for a brief
moment the other aircraft were not visible.

Now you have got me wondering - I'll go there again this week and check.

Tony

---
Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Cessna 172H C-GICE
Old September 19th 05, 04:47 AM
Newps

tony roberts wrote:

I had to read that twice to make sure you were serious. Hitting the ident
doesn't delete anything, it just enhances the target of the identing
aircraft.

When I toured the Kelowna Control Tour, they told us that they don't
like aircraft Identing unless requested. They then asked an aircraft to
ident so we could see what happened.

As I recall it, the identing aircraft was highlighted and for a brief
moment the other aircraft were not visible.

Now you have got me wondering - I'll go there again this week and check.

You can go for another tour if you want but no way, no how does one
pilot identing erase all other airplanes for any amount of time. Ever.
On any kind of ATC radar system. Period.