Soaring Not Dead Everywhere

Old April 5th 20, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Soaring Not Dead Everywhere

"And what if you have an accident?"

If we never get out of our beds or step outside,yes, we will be less exposed to accident risk – at the consequence that our physical and mental health will deteriorate along with family relationships, in some cases leading to domestic violence, some involving police and emergency medical services.

Inactivity leads to obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, accelerated deterioration of joints and musculature, along with mood disorders and self medication with alcohol and other substances, which will in their own turn burden health care services.
Old April 5th 20, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

You be you. Make your own decision.
Old April 5th 20, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello Charles,
I agree with most all you shared. As for off field landing, no one here is even contemplating going anywhere. Its all just been local flying period.

As for the potential of an accident, really, do you think we should all stay home for fear of getting into a wreck in our cars or our gliders? Come on now, if we are being called to have that fear now, why not all the time? Because maybe when you have your wreck the kids school bus also is going to have a wreck and OR’s are going to be limited, etc ect ect, tou fill in the blanks of possible situations. Its not an issue of not being socially responsible, its a matter of applying informed common sense.

That being said, if I lived in the NY, NJ, or LA area, I would give a more serious thought to limited or overloaded medical facilities. We do not have that situation here.
Old April 5th 20, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul T, my tow duties and creation of a protcal to allow soaring is providing “mental healthy” services to my community, theres my “social responsibility”. And please refrain from personal epitaphs. If I am an “idiot”, I could consider you “ignorant” of present social reality and how the world really works. But I will show a measure of personal restraint.
Old April 5th 20, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Like I said everyone needs to make their own decision based on their circumstances. I do know one thing. If I was flying right now I damn sure wouldn’t be on here crowing about it. It’s very insensitive to the international gliding community.
Old April 5th 20, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have no interest and limited knowledge of the international scene, once again my purpose is to encourage and support our domestic soaring community. And hopefully demonstrate that in certain areas guys can still do some soaring safely and socially responsibly. I sure hope most folks here can get that objective. Soaring here in the states is declining, and rather rapidly imop. I would like to help add enthusiasm where I can. This probably is the wrong forum for that, as most here are already emphatically hooked on soaring, but you never know who you might reach. Once again Charles, absolutely no offense intended at all. I appreciate you guys. As to some of the personal slanders, I ignore most of that stuff, most of the time. It comes with the internet as well as misunderstandings when one can’t speak face to face and expound ideas more fully.
Sincerely, Dan
Old April 5th 20, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hi Carlo,

I just won't have an accident! :-D Yes, I know that sounds arrogant, but
after 47 years and many thousands of hours of accident free flying, it's
a reasonable bet. Still, I am being more cautious and conservative in my
flying.* My wife and I were planning to fly our Cessna 180K today but,
given the 14 mph quartering cross wind, we elected not to fly for just
the reason you stated.

I'll now go to the garage and replace the rear brake light switch on my
Harley.* It's not as fast as a Ducati, but much more comfortable!

Dan (My Father was from Sicily)

On 4/5/2020 9:24 AM, wrote:
Dear Dan,

and what happen if you have an accident?

Please do not involve anyone else. Stay there and....Peace.

Carlo (from Italy)

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 5th 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My friend told me yesterday, "If I land out, don't come to get me. I
don't want to expose you to anything (he's a doctor).* I'll call my wife
and she will come."* Though, for her it would be a 2 hour drive to the
airport, plus find and hook up his trailer, etc.

Now, for the lighter side, his battery failed shortly after take off.*
He announced the problem and said that he'd be turning his radio off.*
We met in flight around 2 - 2.5 hours later and flew together for many
miles (never closer than 100 feet).* Having flown in light sink for a
long time and feeling uncomfortable with the altitude (I NEVER rely on
the engine) I turned back and he continued happily on.

After landing, I remarked about how much more performance his ship has
than mine, telling him how I turned back because I was below glide slope
for home and he just kept going outbound.* He said, "Oh, I didn't have a
vario.* It quit an hour or so earlier!"* Oh, yes, we always kept 10 or
more feet between us the whole time.

Dan, next time you get to Moriarty, look me up and we'll share a beer or
two.* Dan

On 4/5/2020 9:52 AM, Charles Longley wrote:
Here’s my opinion because I am not afraid to share it. If you choose to fly solo in your personal ship right now social distancing isn’t really an issue. Sharing a club ship isn’t the greatest idea. It’s very hard to get the cockpit completely sanitized. Then there’s the issue of having an off airport landing or accident. Someone’s going to have to come get you on an off airport landing. If you have an injury do you really want to go to the hospital right now? Not only are you exposing yourself to disease you’ll be using supplies and resources that would be better used for a Covid 19 patient.

My club has not completely shutdown. They’ve cancelled scheduled operations and left it up to the individual members and tow pilots to decide if they want to fly. I haven’t heard of any operations in the last three weeks.

Personally I don’t intend to fly until sometime in May. I’ll look at what’s happening with the pandemic and make a decision then. I am a firm believer in the ability of each pilot to make their own go/no go decision.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 5th 20, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Will do. I might be up your way early june for a few 13m record attempts if our texas site is still in lockdown.
Dan

p.s. just to **** off the libs, I forgot to ask you what guns I should bring? lol

Is Soaring Cafe dead (or comatose)? pp2076 Soaring 1 January 1st 16 09:42 PM
RAP is NOT Dead No Name Piloting 112 August 29th 08 06:49 AM
AUDIO: Bush jewish. Blair jewish. Howard jewish. Sarkozy jewish. 1.2 million muslims dead. Thousands of Americans dead. Trillion$ missing. [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 November 2nd 07 06:56 PM
Forget Dying; Is Soaring Dead? [email protected] Soaring 42 September 2nd 06 05:19 PM
The Soaring Server is dead; long live the Soaring Servers John Leibacher Soaring 3 November 1st 04 11:57 PM