ELT installation in an LS6a?

Old June 13th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Default ELT installation in an LS6a?

Does anybody have any good advice on where to install an ELT in an
LS6a?
Old June 13th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jun 12, 4:39*pm, SF wrote:
Does anybody have any good advice on where to install an ELT in an
LS6a?

Sorry but here is a non-answer. If you really want a SARSAT/SAR
trackable distress beacon, I would consider putting a PLB on your
parachute harness. Contest requirements aside I'd rather have a PLB on
my harness than an ELT in the ship. ELTs have more radiated power and
longer transmit life, but current PLBs are pretty good. If you are
unable to activate the PLB the search is likely for your corpse anyhow
- yes I know even finding a corpse can be useful. I suspect the ELT
activation rate for many glider crashes is very low, there is just not
useful statistics available AFAIK. Correct activation rates are low
(25%) in GA aircraft crashes, I suspect gliders to be lower even with
current state of the art ELTs. An alternative is to use a SPOT, in
tracking (SPOTcast) mode, where its 10 minute position reports give a
reasonable starting search area and should the device survive the
crash and can transmit then obviously it provides an exact location.
The poor impact activation of ELTs is a serious issue, SPOT is a great
way to address this and has the advantage of providing people
assurances you are OK and helping in non-life threatening situations
(retrieves etc.).

If it was for contest requirements I'd consider putting the cheapest
121.5 MHz ELT in the glider and carrying a PLB and/or SPOT for actual
use. (SARSAT monitoring of 121.5MHz ELTs is going away, but SAR
direction finding is not, but your 406MHz/121.5MHz PLB or SPOT is what
you would actually rely on to be rescued).

If you really need to install an ELT be careful... I've noticed many
questionable ELT installations, antennas intended for ground planes
without them, antennas running right next to metal structural
elements, antennas bent at right angles, ELTs not secured properly,
ELTs not aligned in correct impact orientations etc.

Darryl

WX-950 installation Kyprianos Biris Owning 5 October 23rd 07 01:37 PM
US ELT Installation mhr Soaring 57 December 31st 05 08:39 PM
installation xcsoar junior Soaring 0 February 23rd 04 12:50 PM
2-33 battery installation Kurt Soaring 2 January 27th 04 02:36 PM
EGT installation Andre Home Built 4 August 27th 03 08:33 AM