A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Trailer tow from Texas to California

Old March 28th 21, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacques de Rham
external usenet poster

Default Trailer tow from Texas to California

Hello all,

My name is Jac and I am new to this group.

I am purchasing a glider and I need to tow it to Williams in CA.

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how best to go about this?

First option yes would of course be to go down myself, rent a pickup or a car with a tow hitch and drive it back over several days.

Second option may be to hire an auto transport truck that could put the trailer onto the truck and drive it back. This would cost more money but would save me the time away.

The trip is about 1792 miles.

Does anyone here have any other ideas?

Most grateful for your input!

Best,

Jac

Old March 28th 21, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

Many of us have used Uship.
Old March 29th 21, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 6:43:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I just used Uship for a delivery of a glider from Washington State to Florida. The guy was professional and very, very cost effective.
Old March 29th 21, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Bailey
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 7:35:08 PM UTC-7, Phoenix wrote:

I just used Uship for a delivery of a glider from Washington State to Florida. The guy was professional and very, very cost effective.

The "best" way depends on what you're trying to optimize. The implication is "minimum cost", but perhaps another way to look at it would be "maximum value" -
Fly to Texas, rent an RV with a trailer hitch from a national chain and drive back, hitting a few soaring spots on the way that you'll never have the opportunity to check out again. Take a couple of weeks. Drop the RV close to home.
Old March 29th 21, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 7:21:24 AM UTC-6, wrote:

The "best" way depends on what you're trying to optimize. The implication is "minimum cost", but perhaps another way to look at it would be "maximum value" -
Fly to Texas, rent an RV with a trailer hitch from a national chain and drive back, hitting a few soaring spots on the way that you'll never have the opportunity to check out again. Take a couple of weeks. Drop the RV close to home.

Doug
Your idea is a great one!
Nick
T
Old March 30th 21, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacques de Rham
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 3:56:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Doug
Nick
T

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Hi Phoenix, how much did they charge for your trip across the whole country?
The lowest quote on Uship is for around $2500 from San Antonio to Williams CA. Does that feel about right? Do they need to have insurance for this? What if they drive too fast and flip the trailer or something?
Hi Doug, that is a great idea! I like it! But I don''t know if I can find the time to do that right now. But shoot that would be so fun!
Jac
Old March 30th 21, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 8:12:38 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Doug
Nick
T

The lowest quote on Uship is for around $2500 from San Antonio to Williams CA. Does that feel about right? Do they need to have insurance for this? What if they drive too fast and flip the trailer or something?
Hi Doug, that is a great idea! I like it! But I don''t know if I can find the time to do that right now. But shoot that would be so fun!
Jac

As it's nominally 1800-1900 miles with possibly some mountain driving, seems like a good rate since the price of fuel is around $1.00 higher than a year ago. Their liability insurance is in effect, but your hull coverage protects you.

Frank
Old March 30th 21, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 10:42:40 PM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 8:12:38 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Doug
Nick
T

Jac

As it's nominally 1800-1900 miles with possibly some mountain driving, seems like a good rate since the price of fuel is around $1.00 higher than a year ago. Their liability insurance is in effect, but your hull coverage protects you.

Frank

Frank is right regarding insurance. I paid $2,100 for dragging the cobra trailer. I had quotes as high as $5,700!
Old March 30th 21, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Don't let life slip away. Make the time! I wish I'd thought of that
when I picked up my LS-6a in Chicago back in around '92...

Dan
5J

On 3/29/21 8:12 PM, Jacques de Rham wrote:
e lowest quote on Uship is for around $2500 from San Antonio to Williams CA. Does that feel about right? Do they need to have insurance for this? What if they drive too fast and flip the trailer or something?
H

Old March 30th 21, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

I've transported several, which gave me the opportunity to check in with SSA Chapters and SSA State Governors across the country. Now that the better half has retired, might consider it again in a few months.

Frank

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021 at 7:53:06 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Don't let life slip away. Make the time! I wish I'd thought of that
when I picked up my LS-6a in Chicago back in around '92...

Dan
5J
On 3/29/21 8:12 PM, Jacques de Rham wrote:
e lowest quote on Uship is for around $2500 from San Antonio to Williams CA. Does that feel about right? Do they need to have insurance for this? What if they drive too fast and flip the trailer or something?
H