Trailer tow from Texas to California

Old March 28th 21, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacques de Rham

Default Trailer tow from Texas to California

Hello all,

My name is Jac and I am new to this group.

I am purchasing a glider and I need to tow it to Williams in CA.

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how best to go about this?

First option yes would of course be to go down myself, rent a pickup or a car with a tow hitch and drive it back over several days.

Second option may be to hire an auto transport truck that could put the trailer onto the truck and drive it back. This would cost more money but would save me the time away.

The trip is about 1792 miles.

Does anyone here have any other ideas?

Most grateful for your input!

Best,

Jac

Old March 28th 21, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Many of us have used Uship.
Old March 29th 21, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 6:43:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Many of us have used Uship.

I just used Uship for a delivery of a glider from Washington State to Florida. The guy was professional and very, very cost effective.
Old March 29th 21, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Bailey

On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 7:35:08 PM UTC-7, Phoenix wrote:
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 6:43:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Many of us have used Uship.

I just used Uship for a delivery of a glider from Washington State to Florida. The guy was professional and very, very cost effective.

The "best" way depends on what you're trying to optimize. The implication is "minimum cost", but perhaps another way to look at it would be "maximum value" -
Fly to Texas, rent an RV with a trailer hitch from a national chain and drive back, hitting a few soaring spots on the way that you'll never have the opportunity to check out again. Take a couple of weeks. Drop the RV close to home.
Old March 29th 21, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 7:21:24 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 7:35:08 PM UTC-7, Phoenix wrote:
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 6:43:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Many of us have used Uship.

I just used Uship for a delivery of a glider from Washington State to Florida. The guy was professional and very, very cost effective.

The "best" way depends on what you're trying to optimize. The implication is "minimum cost", but perhaps another way to look at it would be "maximum value" -
Fly to Texas, rent an RV with a trailer hitch from a national chain and drive back, hitting a few soaring spots on the way that you'll never have the opportunity to check out again. Take a couple of weeks. Drop the RV close to home.

Doug
Your idea is a great one!
Nick
Old March 30th 21, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacques de Rham

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 3:56:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 7:21:24 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 7:35:08 PM UTC-7, Phoenix wrote:
On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 6:43:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Many of us have used Uship.
I just used Uship for a delivery of a glider from Washington State to Florida. The guy was professional and very, very cost effective.

The "best" way depends on what you're trying to optimize. The implication is "minimum cost", but perhaps another way to look at it would be "maximum value" -
Fly to Texas, rent an RV with a trailer hitch from a national chain and drive back, hitting a few soaring spots on the way that you'll never have the opportunity to check out again. Take a couple of weeks. Drop the RV close to home.

Doug
Your idea is a great one!
Nick

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Hi Phoenix, how much did they charge for your trip across the whole country?
The lowest quote on Uship is for around $2500 from San Antonio to Williams CA. Does that feel about right? Do they need to have insurance for this? What if they drive too fast and flip the trailer or something?
Hi Doug, that is a great idea! I like it! But I don''t know if I can find the time to do that right now. But shoot that would be so fun!
Jac
Old March 30th 21, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 8:12:38 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

As it's nominally 1800-1900 miles with possibly some mountain driving, seems like a good rate since the price of fuel is around $1.00 higher than a year ago. Their liability insurance is in effect, but your hull coverage protects you.

Frank
Old March 30th 21, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 10:42:40 PM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

Frank is right regarding insurance. I paid $2,100 for dragging the cobra trailer. I had quotes as high as $5,700!
Old March 30th 21, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Don't let life slip away. Make the time! I wish I'd thought of that
when I picked up my LS-6a in Chicago back in around '92...

Dan
5J