PowerFlarm Warnings Display Comparison

Old November 22nd 14, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ouellet

Default PowerFlarm Warnings Display Comparison

If 12 o clock is at the nose, they'll be spinning circles until they run out of gas.

"Turn heading 230" is more specific.
Old November 22nd 14, 08:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, November 21, 2014 7:42:53 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
On Friday, November 21, 2014 3:30:50 PM UTC-8, Sean Fidler wrote:
Great stuff! Thanks!!!

Slightly of topic but I wonder why we are still using clock to tell directions. Yeah it sounds cool but is it really necessary?
In the age of digital clocks, it takes time for most people to interpret it. Case in point is tow pilots. I noticed about 20% of tow pilots turning opposite direction when I say for example turn to 9 oclock instead of turn left. The rest take few long seconds to interpret.
How about front, back, left, right, front left, back right etc, similar to car GPS? Or 20 degrees left etc? Yeah I know its not perfect either and some people mix left and right as well, but maybe something to consider.

Ramy

I sort of agree. The first time I heard the lady my reaction was where is that. I had not looked at a hand clock for at least 15 years. But after some use it came back.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 22nd 14, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z Goudie[_2_]

At 08:36 22 November 2014, Richard wrote:
On Friday, November 21, 2014 7:42:53 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
On Friday, November 21, 2014 3:30:50 PM UTC-8, Sean Fidler wrote:
Great stuff! Thanks!!!

=20
Slightly of topic but I wonder why we are still using clock to tell

direc=
tions. Yeah it sounds cool but is it really necessary?

Remember, if you're flying too slowly into a strong headwind in wave and
thus proceeding backwards over the surface of the earth, when Flarm calls a
conflict at 12 o'clock it's behind you....

Old November 22nd 14, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Today we use cell phones to tell time. The direction commands should be.

Traffic in your hand.
Traffic in your pocket.
Traffic by the toilet.
Traffic under the car seat.

Lane
Old November 22nd 14, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 4:15:04 AM UTC-6, Z Goudie wrote:
At 08:36 22 November 2014, Richard wrote:
On Friday, November 21, 2014 7:42:53 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
On Friday, November 21, 2014 3:30:50 PM UTC-8, Sean Fidler wrote:
Great stuff! Thanks!!!
=20
Slightly of topic but I wonder why we are still using clock to tell

direc=
tions. Yeah it sounds cool but is it really necessary?

Remember, if you're flying too slowly into a strong headwind in wave and
thus proceeding backwards over the surface of the earth, when Flarm calls a
conflict at 12 o'clock it's behind you....

So true, but it's also making the beeping sound to indicate you are backing up, dead giveaway.
beep, beep, beep
Old November 22nd 14, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 2:36:38 AM UTC-6, Richard wrote:
[...]

True story:

Back in the days of diesel powered fighters with steam driven radars (F-4s, to those too young to remember), when one of the crewmembers called out a target to the other (F-4 is a two-seater, pilot in front rowing the boat, and WSO in the back shooting the ducks...), it was standard technique to use both left/right AND clock position, to avoid any confusion; so a call might be "OK I've got a tally on the bandit at left 8 o'clock, nose low, closing - come hard left!"

Inevitably, during a debrief of a fight while listening to the cockpit tapes, we heard this exchange: "I've got him! He's at Right 9 o'clock!" "You mean Left 3?" "No! Over there!!!"

Shortly followed by a "Guns tracking on the F-4 rocking his wings...." call..

Seriously, clock positions make a lot more sense than just left/right - as they devide the area to search into nice little unambiguous 30 degree sectors of sky. How do you do that with Left/Right (or Port/Starboard)?

Kirk
66
Old November 22nd 14, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe

Remember, if you're flying too slowly into a strong headwind in wave

and
thus proceeding backwards over the surface of the earth, when Flarm

calls
a conflict at 12 o'clock it's behind you....

More importantly, when it shows "on your left" it means "on your right" -
and that's not just a theoretical
nicety!

Old November 22nd 14, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 9:04:37 AM UTC-8, kirk.stant wrote:
Seriously, clock positions make a lot more sense than just left/right - as they devide the area to search into nice little unambiguous 30 degree sectors of sky. How do you do that with Left/Right (or Port/Starboard)?

Kirk
66

Okay, since you asked for it.

Ahead
Ahead right
Right
Behind right
Behind
Behind left
Left
Ahead left

45 degree sectors

If you want more precision:

Ahead
Ahead ahead right
Ahead right
Right ahead right
Right
Right behind right
Behind right
Behind behind right
Behind
Behind behind left
Behind left
Left behind left
Left
Left ahead left
Ahead left
Ahead ahead left

22.5 degree sectors.

Of course if you use this over the radio for a position callout you are most likely to get a WTF in reply - maybe better to learn the clock.

;-)
Old November 22nd 14, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Clearnav allows personalized alerts. You can replace the wav files with whatever works for you. Highly recommended!

For example, my 5 o'clock low alert is "traffic, right side, down low, 5 o'clock". It gets me looking right with no delay, down and then finally I scan forward or back based on the clock verbiage but I'm already immediately looking in the right general direction based on the first two audibles.

I would estimate (at least for me) that it reduces the time to pinpoint where to look by half. Course I still struggle with the big hand and the little hand so your mileage may vary.

Old November 22nd 14, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 1:36:57 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Clearnav allows personalized alerts. You can replace the wav files with whatever works for you. Highly recommended!

For example, my 5 o'clock low alert is "traffic, right side, down low, 5 o'clock". It gets me looking right with no delay, down and then finally I scan forward or back based on the clock verbiage but I'm already immediately looking in the right general direction based on the first two audibles.

I would estimate (at least for me) that it reduces the time to pinpoint where to look by half. Course I still struggle with the big hand and the little hand so your mileage may vary.

Please provide us with a Video so we can evaluate.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

PowerFlarm display Brad[_2_] Soaring 4 July 27th 12 07:15 AM
PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available Paul Remde Soaring 30 May 25th 12 11:58 PM
New PowerFLARM display? Andy[_1_] Soaring 1 November 23rd 11 10:04 PM
Display for PowerFLARM brick Andy[_1_] Soaring 4 May 10th 11 02:32 PM
NEW PANEL DISPLAY COMPARISON Richard[_9_] Soaring 11 September 15th 09 08:30 AM