Botched handoffs

Old March 8th 19, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

Default Botched handoffs

Just as important to know who is flying before you take off. Many
years ago on a bungee-launching hill expedition, I watched two
pilots climb into a Ka7 with the instructor briefing the pupil as they
strapped in. As the glider rolled forward the wing went down and it
gracefully ground looped downhill, bending the fuselage at 90
degrees in the process. Instructor leapt out saying 'Why didn't you
pick up the wing?' Pupil: 'I thought you were flying.'

They then went into a huddle to get the story straight for the
accident report....

At 14:31 08 March 2019, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
At 11:00 08 March 2019, Z Goudie wrote:
At 01:07 08 March 2019, wrote:

Back in Germany a student didn't make progress with his

instructor, h
got
=
nothing but criticism on his patterns. After one flight he got an

laughed
=
for 10 min. Told us he'd had it with all the crud he got from the

back
seat=
and, on downwind, just let go of the stick. Low and behold, the

glider
mad=
e a nice turn to base and then to final. The airbrakes came out

for a
perfe=
ct landing. "See, his instructor said proudly, you finally got it."
Herb

Seen instructors like that before!

I know of a case like that in UK a while ago.

Pupil refused to pay for flight (reasonable) and Instructor is no

longe
instructing.

Old March 12th 19, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

A very experienced instructor told me a story once where he and another very experienced instructor
ended up doing 3 tail slides when both thought the other was Flying. Both were Aust level 3 instructors, which are those who train instructors.
It can happen to the best of use. Personally, I strictly follow the my aircraft/your aircraft protocol, but everyone makes mistakes.