Sustainer engine run

Old August 9th 17, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Sustainer engine run

Just curious, how long are the guys with solo 2350 sustainer engines running their engines before they depart on XC flights? I have been running the engine for about 30 seconds but I have no idea how long it should to run to be fully lub'ed and kept in good running condition.
Old August 9th 17, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

2 minutes on every 3rd flight.

19+ years, 1700 flight hours, and 10 engine hours in this period.

Bob

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 18:55:11 -0700 (PDT), "Jonathan St. Cloud"
wrote:

Just curious, how long are the guys with solo 2350 sustainer engines running their engines before they depart on XC flights? I have been running the engine for about 30 seconds but I have no idea how long it should to run to be fully lub'ed and kept in good running condition.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old August 9th 17, 08:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

wrote:

Just curious, how long are the guys with solo 2350 sustainer

engines
running their engines before they depart on XC flights? I have

been
running the engine for about 30 seconds but I have no idea how

long it
should to run to be fully lub'ed and kept in good running condition.

---
http://www.avg.com

We run the motor in our duo for 30seconds to mark the trace.
There are some people will accuse you of using it on task if there is
no obvious mark.

Old August 9th 17, 10:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z Goudie[_2_]

=
engine for about 30 seconds but I have no idea how long it should to run
to=
be fully lub'ed and kept in good running condition.

30seconds. The main reason being to make sure it's probably going to start
when I need it! If I forget to do that it concentrates the mind somewhat
if I get low later.

Old August 9th 17, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

30-60 seconds on EVERY flight before going beyond gliding distance of the airport. Mostly to give you some assurance that it is likely to start if called upon later that day. A short run will also make sure you have the fuel valve open (I always leave my valve open all flight), it will also remove any vapor bubbles in the fuel lines, and if it's cool, it'll warm up the motor a bit which helps it start a bit faster later.
Old August 9th 17, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

For what its worth, before every flight I pressurize my removable fuel
tank with a pump bulb (standard blood pressure bulb). Primary purpose
is to check for any fuel leaks in the plumbing. This has revealed
loose connections on several instances over the years. Second step is
to then depress the injector diaphragm (rear injector) to remove any
air bubbles in the fuel line.

My 1997 Ventus cT does not have a boost pump.

Bob