Tow rope musings - informal survey

Old February 26th 19, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Tow rope musings - informal survey

What is the initial new length of the tow ropes that you use?

Assuming that you cut off the worn portion near the ring and gradually shorten the rope, when does the rope get too short to use? How often do you measure the rope?

Do you usually discard used ropes because of visible wear, reduced length, or a fixed number of tows?

What is the breaking strength of your tow rope when new?

Some gliders are heavier and some are lighter. Do you use weak links as recommended by the individual glider's POH?

Answering as an individual pilot you prefer a tow rope that is at the weak or strong end of the acceptable range?

Is it true that some people have used (and continue to use) 'unbreakable' tow ropes? How does that work out?
Old February 26th 19, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

The regulation regarding maximum tow rope strength is primarily an American gliding phenomenon. In most other countries such a regulation does not exist and big thick ropes are used all the time and without difficulty.
ROY
Old February 26th 19, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bridge[_2_]

At 00:47 26 February 2019, son_of_flubber wrote:
What is the initial new length of the tow ropes that you use?

Assuming that you cut off the worn portion near the ring and gradually
shorten the rope, when does the rope get too short to use?

How short would you like?
https://tinyurl.com/y47qmknr

John

Old February 26th 19, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Roy, the BGA operational regulations specify an aerotow rope or weak linking breaking load no greater than the maximum specified by the glider or tug manufacturer.
John

Old February 26th 19, 10:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z Goudie[_2_]

At 08:05 26 February 2019, John Bridge wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y47qmknr

Do you think they both had a good grip on the release knobs?

Old February 26th 19, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

LOL!

Big beautiful (expensive) airport
Beautiful (expensive) glider
Beautiful (expensive) tow plane
Beautiful (expensive) ground crew
Cheapass rope

Ya gotta control costs somewhere!

Cookie

Old February 26th 19, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

We consider 200' tow rope as "normal". I make 'em about 220' to start, figuring we can cut down the glider end as it gets worn.

In practice, about when the glider end is looking worn, so is the rest of the rope...so we just replace the entire rope with new.

Old rope is demoted to lessor duties, dogs and small children...

In the grand scheme of things, rope cost is insignificant

I've made a couple of x - country tows with a double rope (400')...pure luxury!

Cookie

Old February 26th 19, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

I have my Russian wife pull me 3-5 ft after hook-up to test. I figure that ought to work. Plus no more than 3 knots, not counting the rings. My tow pilot Bueally has cataracts and is unable to read the instruments. He flys by the seat of his Depends. Poor feller. Not long for this world.
Guess I’ll throw the wife in the towplane, get a new rope, and teach my pet monkey to hook me up....just have to fly alone....and pull the release myself.
A new rope would be nice and a bit more safer.
Oh, I use 126’ of 1/4” clothes line, 37’ of mule hemp, and 12’ of lamp chain on the towplane end with a cleavage hitch..
Can’t wait for my new Arcus T.

she will essentially confess informal and benefits our rapid, mature entitys in charge of a wall Robbie Piloting 0 August 13th 07 11:21 PM
Winter Musings Ray Lovinggood Soaring 0 December 3rd 06 02:28 PM
Report of Oct. '04 SSA Director's Mtg - informal Caracole Soaring 2 November 7th 04 06:32 AM
Informal Survey... john smith Piloting 21 September 21st 04 02:40 AM
Fwd: Informal Tonopah Flying Ramy Yanetz Soaring 0 June 10th 04 07:40 PM