Setting altimeters with no radio

Old November 12th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Setting altimeters with no radio

Since it is possible to fly without voice radio equipment, and given
that (if I understand correctly) pilots are supposed to have their
altimeters set correctly to a reference located not more than 100
miles from their position, how does an aircraft without a radio keep
its altimeter properly set as it travels?

Old November 12th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
TxSrv

Mxsmanic wrote:
Since it is possible to fly without voice radio equipment, and given
that (if I understand correctly) pilots are supposed to have their
altimeters set correctly to a reference located not more than 100
miles from their position, how does an aircraft without a radio keep
its altimeter properly set as it travels?

For VFR, an adjustable altimeter is not required. Therefore, such
a 100 mile rule doesn't exist.

F--

Old November 12th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
BT

you land every 100 miles or less
reset your altimeter to field elevation
and then fly another 100 miles

Old November 12th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

GPS, even a $100 hikers model will solve the problem. But I
just say, look at the ground, you can judge 1,000 feet
pretty well and you only need to apply the hemisphere rule
above 3,000 AGL.

Old November 12th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Doug[_1_]

There is no 100 mile rule, IFR or VFR. There is a rule that IFR you
have to have a radio, and an adjustable altimeter (and a bunch of other
stuff).

Like the guy said. Land and set the altimeter to the field elevation.

Old November 12th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Logajan

"BT" wrote:
you land every 100 miles or less
reset your altimeter to field elevation
and then fly another 100 miles

I presume you're trying to pull his leg?
Old November 12th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Logajan

Mxsmanic wrote:
Since it is possible to fly without voice radio equipment, and given
that (if I understand correctly) pilots are supposed to have their
altimeters set correctly to a reference located not more than 100
miles from their position, how does an aircraft without a radio keep
its altimeter properly set as it travels?

You can find the answer in FAR 91.121(a)(iii).

Old November 12th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Peter Duniho

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
GPS, even a $100 hikers model will solve the problem.

No, it won't.

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
(sorta OT) Free Ham Radio Course RST Engineering Piloting 43 January 24th 05 08:05 PM
1944 Aerial War Comes to Life in Radio Play Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 March 25th 04 10:57 PM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM