Windsock Material

Old August 30th 03, 01:06 PM
Jimmy Galvin

Default Windsock Material

Hello again:
Thank you. I got a lot of info on the UV degradation of windsocks. Have any
of you had more success with one brand/material than another? I live in the
NW hills of Connecticut which are at the base of the Berkshire Mountains and
the elevation is 1020'. I spoke to the airport manager of N04
Griswold/Madison which is on the Long Island Sound coast at elevation 12'
and he said his last about 3 to 4 months as well. His appear to be the same
reinforced polyester as mine. Does anyone know a better choice for my next
one.
Jimmy

Old August 30th 03, 01:48 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Thank you. I got a lot of info on the UV degradation of windsocks. Have any
of you had more success with one brand/material than another? I live in the
NW hills of Connecticut which are at the base of the Berkshire Mountains and
the elevation is 1020'. I spoke to the airport manager of N04
Griswold/Madison which is on the Long Island Sound coast at elevation 12'
and he said his last about 3 to 4 months as well. His appear to be the same
reinforced polyester as mine. Does anyone know a better choice for my next
one.
Jimmy

If you have been using vinyl coated windsocks,
you might try urethane coated nylon, instead.
http://www.airportwindsocks.com/windsocks.shtml

You could EXPERIMENT....
fabricating your own socks.

Barnyard BOb - first solo KHFD - early 50's
Old August 30th 03, 02:36 PM
Badwater Bill

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:06:50 -0400, "Jimmy Galvin"
wrote:

Hello again:
Thank you. I got a lot of info on the UV degradation of windsocks. Have any
of you had more success with one brand/material than another? I live in the
NW hills of Connecticut which are at the base of the Berkshire Mountains and
the elevation is 1020'. I spoke to the airport manager of N04
Griswold/Madison which is on the Long Island Sound coast at elevation 12'
and he said his last about 3 to 4 months as well. His appear to be the same
reinforced polyester as mine. Does anyone know a better choice for my next
one.
Jimmy

I don't know what in the hell it is, but I order the orange windsocks
from Spruce and they last me nearly two years before I have to replace
them. I order the cheap ones IIRC, something like $30 bucks for an 18
inch opening by 98 inches long. Those numbers are close. But, before
I ordered these, I had the same problem you have. All socks only
lasted me about 4 to 6 months and they were in rags from the sun here
in the desert of Las Vegas. This orange matterial looks like it's
impregnated with some plastic like a coated or soaked vinyl cloth
coated with urethane or something.

BWB
Old August 30th 03, 04:40 PM
Jim

Thats very reasonable too. Unless you buy bulk bolts of Fabric wholesale,
you cannot make them for that price.

Old August 30th 03, 06:12 PM
Ben Haas

BOb is right on with this one. I have been using this company for
windsocks for a few years. I have one here at my house in Jackson Hole
Wy, elev 6450 msl and two at my private airport,2wy3 and it is at 7960
msl. The UV is damn strong up here and the winters get to -45f. I have
been getting two to three years on the socks. They still are intact
after this time but the orange has gone to hell. I did try to dye them
with Rits and that works kinda ok, the sythentic material doesn't
absorb the color very well though.

Ben Haas N801BH

Old August 30th 03, 09:00 PM
Scott VanderVeen