Static Ports question

Old November 15th 13, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C2[_2_]

Default Static Ports question

What would happen if 2 sets of static ports (under the wing and on the tail boom) were connected to my ASI?
Old November 15th 13, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Airspeed doubles and then an irreversable black hole will form swallowing the ASI, glider, you and eventually the entire planet. Please...don't do it.
Old November 15th 13, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

Advice from scohpilot may be wrong, but after some risk and cost-
benefit analysis, I would say do not even try. I want to fly next
summer.

Old November 15th 13, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, November 15, 2013 12:20:19 PM UTC-5, C2 wrote:
What would happen if 2 sets of static ports (under the wing and on the tail boom) were connected to my ASI?

1- You lose the benefit of 2 sources that can be used for differing needs like airspeed, altimetry, glide computing, electronic TE.
2- You won't be using the static system that was calibrated and used when establishing the operating limits in your flight manual.
3 You would lose the option to switch to root statics to avaoid the effects of water getting in aft statics when dumping.
4 Others I did not think of quickly
UH

Old November 15th 13, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, November 15, 2013 12:20:19 PM UTC-5, C2 wrote:
What would happen if 2 sets of static ports (under the wing and on the tail boom) were connected to my ASI?

It will generate huge static electricity and shock you severely.
Old November 15th 13, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, November 15, 2013 2:06:40 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Friday, November 15, 2013 12:20:19 PM UTC-5, C2 wrote:

What would happen if 2 sets of static ports (under the wing and on the tail boom) were connected to my ASI?

It will generate huge static electricity and shock you severely.

PS: That's why they are called STATIC ports.
Old November 15th 13, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, November 15, 2013 1:06:40 PM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Friday, November 15, 2013 12:20:19 PM UTC-5, C2 wrote:

What would happen if 2 sets of static ports (under the wing and on the tail boom) were connected to my ASI?

It will generate huge static electricity and shock you severely.

Thanks for the smart ass answer to a simple question. Would it adversely affect my airspeed reading?
Old November 15th 13, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, November 15, 2013 4:41:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Would it adversely affect my airspeed reading?

Using anything other than the certificated pitot-static configuration
can greatly affect your ASI reading, and your safety.
Old November 15th 13, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, November 15, 2013 4:41:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, November 15, 2013 1:06:40 PM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote: On Friday, November 15, 2013 12:20:19 PM UTC-5, C2 wrote: What would happen if 2 sets of static ports (under the wing and on the tail boom) were connected to my ASI? It will generate huge static electricity and shock you severely. Thanks for the smart ass answer to a simple question. Would it adversely affect my airspeed reading?

Answered in the 4th message containing no smart ass answers.
UH
Old November 16th 13, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Firth[_4_]

Inthe good old days, when stall speed was less than 30kt,2 seaters
had an open cockpit, no one bothered with static ports; even in a modern
sailplane the cockpit static is usually within a knot or two
of nominal. it is useful to have a tap which opens the static line
to cockpit in case , (as often happens to me, the static ports have sent
water into the line, creating an offset, or the tape to prevent this has
not been removed) you want the ASI to show something meaningful.
However, from a practical test I can tell you that an air extractor
will add 4-6 kts to the reading at approach speeds if you use cockpit
static.
AS has happened to me on a number off occasions, the
ASI shows something ridiculous, some practicebeforehand without itcan
reduce the anxiety.

John F

=

Static ports Grider Pirate Soaring 5 August 20th 10 04:07 PM
DG-600 AOA static ports Marc Ramsey Soaring 0 February 14th 07 10:37 PM
Win XP and COM ports Ted Wagner Soaring 13 April 26th 05 07:30 PM
ADF static? question JFLEISC Home Built 3 December 28th 04 01:28 AM
Four Static Ports! Which to Use? John DeRosa Sky Soaring Chicago IL Soaring 3 May 18th 04 04:55 PM