Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 17th 05, 04:20 AM
George Patterson

Gary Drescher wrote:
"Bob Fry" wrote in message

So, no, I'm not going to remain silent when some ignorant (and proud
of it) mid-west yahoo vomits on this newsgroup.

Although stereotyping mid-westerners is also undesirable.

That's not a stereotype. That's *one* very specific example.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old April 17th 05, 04:41 AM
Dave Stadt

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"Gary Drescher" writes:

Why don't you just filter him out, if his ignorance bothers you so?

For the same reason that, if you're sitting at a dinner table and

someone
starts gratuitiously disparaging the people next to you, you would

probably
want to speak in their defense, rather than just acquiescing in silence.

Thank you.

In his attitude towards other groups, Jay is not far from the bigots
who disparage ethnic groups (blacks, hispanics, etc.) As a society we
have generally learned over the years that stereotyping and
name-calling are a Bad Thing, first for the individuals in the groups,
and then for all the rest of us. It drags all of us down. It's not
what the American experiment was and is about.

On a personal level, the best vacation I ever had was my trip to
Europe, where my wife and I visited only France. Our nephew married a
French girl and we went to their wedding. We had a fantastic time,
including a trip to a local aéroport where I logged a half hour in an
airplane. The instructor refused to accept any payment for his time
and the club members were gracious and friendly. Virtually everybody
we me in our 20 days there was helpful. France is a beautiful
country, its engineers some of the best in the world, the French
people are not fat, boastful slobs.

That's not the France I spent time in.

Old April 17th 05, 04:44 AM
Dave Stadt

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Newps" wrote in message

Morgans wrote:

You and Gary deserve each other. Pot - Kettle - Black.

You seem to be quite good at slmming goups of people too, such as
midwesterners.

See ya. Not.

Plonk

Hey, plonk me too. I also think the French are morons.

Second that!

Been there, saw them in action, they are a disgusting lot, make me number
three.

Old April 17th 05, 06:02 AM
Bob Fry

"Dave Stadt" writes:

Been there, saw them in action, they are a disgusting lot, make me number
three.

Well, most people respond in kind to how they're treated. No doubt
they found you disgusting first.
Old April 17th 05, 08:58 AM
Jason Dodd

Actually, In Iowa here, it says right on the pump what the individual
taxes per gallon are

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Gas prices, on the other hand, are plain as day transparent, and people
are already ****ed as hell.

No actually there not plain as day. When I pull up to the pump see that gas
is $2.479/gal I have no idea what part of that is tax.

In Arkansas the same goes for liquor tax. It is built into the advertised
price but not by law only by tradition. I owned a liquor store for a few
years and considered advertising the retail price and then adding the state
liquor and state, county and local sales taxes at the register.

My employees freaked out at the idea. They felt the customers would get
****ed and they were right.

Old April 17th 05, 11:24 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 03:18:09 GMT, George Patterson wrote:

mabe they fought against the system back then and you don't know about
having little heroes in your family.

Naw -- they were all over here by then. Changed the name to "Blackwelder", though.

so they fled. what makes you not speaking about them? what have they done?

George Patterson

#m
--
http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg
Old April 17th 05, 11:34 AM
Cub Driver

On a personal level, the best vacation I ever had was my trip to
Europe, where my wife and I visited only France.

You speak with the wisdom of a cosmopolitan traveler.

Wow! What was that trip, a week, two weeks? Time enough, evidently, to
get to the essence of a country.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old April 17th 05, 02:09 PM
Dave Stadt

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"Dave Stadt" writes:

Been there, saw them in action, they are a disgusting lot, make me

number
three.

Well, most people respond in kind to how they're treated. No doubt
they found you disgusting first.

I don't remember you being there. No doubt they were being French.

Old April 17th 05, 02:50 PM
Gary Drescher

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:
"Bob Fry" wrote in message

So, no, I'm not going to remain silent when some ignorant (and proud
of it) mid-west yahoo vomits on this newsgroup.

Although stereotyping Midwesterners is also undesirable.

That's not a stereotype. That's *one* very specific example.

Imagine that the above quote had gratuitously invoked the ethic or religious
identity of the person in question ("ignorant xxxxx yahoo"), instead of
saying 'mid-west'. The implied stereotype would be obvious, even though just
one person is (nominally) addressed. Same for 'mid-west', I'm afraid.

--Gary

Old April 17th 05, 04:27 PM
Bob Fry

"Dave Stadt" writes:

"Dave Stadt" writes:

make me number three.

Well, most people respond in kind to how they're treated. No doubt
they found you disgusting first.

I don't remember you being there. No doubt they were being French.

Awww, Dave, I knew you couldn't stay away. A fake plonk after all, eh?
;-)=

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 06:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM