Departure/Enroute RAIM

Old September 2nd 05, 01:56 PM

Default Departure/Enroute RAIM

A chart change notice (and a similar Jeppesen briefing bulletin) were
sent to all subscribers in the past few weeks setting forth the new Type
A or B requirements for RNAV OPDs, SIDs, and RNAV routes.

The practical aspect for light aircraft equipped with either TSO 129 or
146 boxes is that a terminal RAIM check must not be accomplished before
using an RNAV ODP. And, if the aircraft can get into the low flight
levels and use a Q Route, then a predictive RAIM check must be made.

This is all dependent upon whether any of the GPS birds are inoperative,
the determination of which places a significant new burden on the light
aircraft IFR pilot using IFR GPS.

AOPA just issued a bulletin on the subject, which I feel really glosses
over the issues raised by all of this.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...50901rnav.html

These requirements became effective yesterday.

Does anyone know how to do a predictive RAIM check with a 129 box? What
is required for using an RNAV ODP, a perdictive RAIM check or an actual
terminal RAIM check at departure time? How is a terminal RAIM check
accomplished (as opposed to an approach RAIM check, which is easy to do,
but perhaps overly restrictive).

Anyone understand this stuff? I know I am confused.

I suppose most non-commercial operators will be able to just press on
and just fly the ODP. No doubt it will be just as safe post-Sept 1st as
it was before. But, eventually some inspector, designee, or CFI-I doing
an ICC is going to make an applicant do a rug dance over this new stuff.

Old September 2nd 05, 02:12 PM
Roy Smith

In article , wrote:
AOPA just issued a bulletin on the subject, which I feel really glosses
over the issues raised by all of this.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...50901rnav.html

Thanks for posting this. It's the first I've ever heard of any of this!

Reading over the AOPA writeup, I see some problems already. They say:

First off, to use any of the new RNAV procedures, you must have a TSO
C-129 or C-146 certified GPS (panel mount, IFR certified for en route
and approach operations) or certain kinds of FMS (flight management
system) equipment, and a current database.

The CNX-80/GNS-480 (perhaps unique among IFR units?) does not require that
you have a current database. It only requires that you have verified the
accuracy of the waypoint data (presumably by comparison to a current
chart). I can't imagine that this has changed any.

It also seems odd that an RNAV SID should be treated any differently from
any other departure procedure. If the plate says, "Track outbound on the
315 bearing from the XYZ NDB until reaching 1800 feet", why should the
rules change if they take that procedure and wrap it up in a named SID?
The terrain is the same either way.
Old September 2nd 05, 05:05 PM

Roy Smith wrote:

Thanks for posting this. It's the first I've ever heard of any of this!

Jeppesen had a Briefing Bulletin, but it is clear as mud.

Reading over the AOPA writeup, I see some problems already. They say:

First off, to use any of the new RNAV procedures, you must have a TSO
C-129 or C-146 certified GPS (panel mount, IFR certified for en route
and approach operations) or certain kinds of FMS (flight management
system) equipment, and a current database.

The CNX-80/GNS-480 (perhaps unique among IFR units?) does not require that
you have a current database. It only requires that you have verified the
accuracy of the waypoint data (presumably by comparison to a current
chart). I can't imagine that this has changed any.

Your box is certainly an usual exception to the database requirement.

It also seems odd that an RNAV SID should be treated any differently from
any other departure procedure. If the plate says, "Track outbound on the
315 bearing from the XYZ NDB until reaching 1800 feet", why should the
rules change if they take that procedure and wrap it up in a named SID?
The terrain is the same either way.

I am far more concerned about RNAV ODPs at non-radar airports.

The Type A and Type B stuff is a tortured response to all the airliners that
don't have GPS and thus use DME/DME postioning to update their FMS position.