G430 Display/Numbers or Pictures?

Old September 3rd 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

Default G430 Display/Numbers or Pictures?

The "Cheating the ILS" thread prompts my curiosity:

I fly with a single G430 and rarely use the map display. Almost
always I am set on the Nav1 "numbers" screen, which tells me pretty
much everything I need to know. I have talked to a number of
commercial pilots with lots of G430 experience, and this seems to be
the consensus.

The tone of the OP on the "Cheating the ILS" seems to be that his use
of this screen is unusual. I use the TRK number on the Nav1 screen
routinely to help on ILS approaches and have never thought anything of
it. I fly my best approaches this way because I do not have to cut &
try to get a heading that holds the needle centered.

So ... Do you normally fly looking at Nav1 or at the map? Cruise?
Approaches? Why? And what is your experience level with the G430?
Old September 3rd 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul kgyy

En route I usually use the map page. However, I find the numbers page
very useful for approaches. It's also excellent backup for partial
panel flying. I did so well with it on my checkride that the examiner
made me turn to another page for partial panel.

Old September 4th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

I've had my GNS 430 for about two years, and I love it.

I toggle back and forth between the Nav1 CDI (or "numbers" screen, as you
call it) and the map depending on what mode of flight I'm in and what
I want out of the display.

While in cruise, I usually use the CDI screen for keeping the heading
a close as I can.

When getting vectors to the ILS, I'll put it in map mode so that I can
readily see how far from the ILS I am (given that the ILS CDI is usually
a full deflection until you're close to it), and then switch back to the CDI
screen again once I'm established on the ILS.

For non-precision approaches, I usually use the map screen.

-- Dane

Old September 4th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Mitty,

Do you normally fly looking at Nav1 or at the map? Cruise?
Approaches? Why?

Map. Always, VFR and IFR. Why? Because all the data fields I need can
be displayed on that screen - and the map gives a ton of additional
information. The CDI is in the panel - why replicate it on the G430?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 4th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

I use the map most of the time, with a few numeric fields displayed.
I'll have to try the DTK/ATK trick on an approach next time.

I do find however that my navigation is more precise when I'm on the CDI
field and less precise when I'm on the map field. With the larger scale
it takes longer to see a flight deviation.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old September 4th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill[_4_]

I see guys walk into the cafeteria and read the menu
posted on the wall in detail.

I walk in and look at the food. I think it depends
on how your brain works... you must be a left-half
guy.

The visual type guys always want the map and track
up too.

Bill Hale BPPP instructor -- seen all types.

de

Old September 4th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

On 9/4/2006 1:46 PM, Bill wrote the following:

The visual type guys always want the map and track
up too.

Track up drives me nuts! :-) It's on my checklist to make sure the
thing is north up before I take off.
Old September 4th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow

"Mitty" wrote in message

On 9/4/2006 1:46 PM, Bill wrote the following:

The visual type guys always want the map and track
up too.

Track up drives me nuts! :-) It's on my checklist to make sure the thing
is north up before I take off.

For me, it's track up, symbol at the bottom (I want to see where I'm heading
and what I'm heading INTO)

YMMV

Old September 5th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

Mitty wrote in :

On 9/4/2006 1:46 PM, Bill wrote the following:

The visual type guys always want the map and track
up too.

Track up drives me nuts! :-) It's on my checklist to make sure the
thing is north up before I take off.

Bet you will find extreme opinions on this :-)

For me, North up drives me nuts, as when I turn right, I want to see the
little plane turn right along with me.

As far as the original poster's question, for the initial approach phase, I
use the map to help with situational awareness. Once I am established on
the IA fix, I change over to the CDI page for extra localizer assistance.

Just did a GPS approach into OWB just above GPS minimums Saturday. 430
made the approach a breeze with the help of smooth air in the clouds.

Allen

Old September 5th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Mitty wrote:
The "Cheating the ILS" thread prompts my curiosity:

I fly with a single G430 and rarely use the map display. Almost
always I am set on the Nav1 "numbers" screen, which tells me pretty
much everything I need to know. I have talked to a number of
commercial pilots with lots of G430 experience, and this seems to be
the consensus.

The tone of the OP on the "Cheating the ILS" seems to be that his use
of this screen is unusual. I use the TRK number on the Nav1 screen
routinely to help on ILS approaches and have never thought anything of
it. I fly my best approaches this way because I do not have to cut &
try to get a heading that holds the needle centered.

So ... Do you normally fly looking at Nav1 or at the map? Cruise?
Approaches? Why? And what is your experience level with the G430?

I use the Nav2 (map) screen and the panel mounted CDI. The CDI display
on Nav1 is pretty useless because it is not a real CDI. Although it has
more data fields, the nav2 screen can be reprogrammed for the most
important numbers. I typically use the default setting with the Nav2
screen - DTK, DIS and GS. I switch to Nav1 if I need to know the ETE.

I need your process pictures [email protected] Soaring 1 February 3rd 06 05:58 PM
What camera for pictures from a glider cockpit? Eric Greenwell Soaring 34 December 10th 05 06:19 AM
Oshkosh Pictures Marv Home Built 2 August 2nd 05 01:14 AM
Glider Humor Pictures Wanted John DeRosa Sky Soaring Chicago IL Soaring 5 October 14th 03 09:42 PM
Pictures taken at World Aerobatic Championships last week in Florida Dave Swartz Aerobatics 0 July 11th 03 03:11 AM