Sheriff Responds to AOPA

Old January 18th 13, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

Default Sheriff Responds to AOPA

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...er-arrest.html

JP
Old January 18th 13, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

On Jan 18, 8:17*am, Jp Stewart wrote:
http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/article...s-learned-from...

JP

There is a bit of a worry in all this. Like the sheriff here, it's
likely that 99% of the public believes that airspace above nuclear
plants is restricted. My non-aviation friends are always very
surprised to know that 100% of airspace is not directly controlled,
that there are no control towers at the vast majority of small
airports where I fly. They're even more surprised to learn that the
typical airliner approach into Midway airport blasts through about 30
miles of class E (about 4 miles north of my glider club) and the only
thing standing between them and a flaming wreck is the pilot's keen
eyes looking out the window. OK, TCAS, and the fact that most planes
are carrying transponders around here helps a lot, but you know what I
mean. Most airline passengers think they're in something approaching
class A or B all the time.

We know all this works fine. The public does not. And we live in a
democracy much more sensitive to John Q Public's perceptions of safety
issues than to reality.

So, long story short, one could rightly worry that too much attention
to all this leads to, "why isn't airspace above nuclear plants off
limits?" (to anyone except real terrorists!) and more rather than less
restrictions on what we do.

We're about at the optimal level of publicity now, where it has the
attention of local law enforcement, and they are learning that it's ok
for light planes to overfly nuclear plants. I'm not sure writing
congressmen and women is such a great idea. They might come to the
opposite conclusion!

John Cochrane

Old January 18th 13, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

On Friday, January 18, 2013 9:01:22 AM UTC-6, John Cochrane wrote:
[...]

I agree with John also .. we may suffer unintended consequences from the attention.
Old January 21st 13, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bill palmer

The reality is that the nuclear containment domes are virtually impenetrable by aircraft. I recall seeing a video study wherein they ran an F-4 (or something similar) into a section of one and the airplane was vaporized while the cement structure was unscathed.
The public doesn't quite understand the fragile nature of an airframe, and that ramming a nuclear facility with one is about a worrisome as pelting it with eggs.
Old January 21st 13, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KS

On Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:46:28 PM UTC-5, Bill Palmer wrote:
The reality is that the nuclear containment domes are virtually impenetrable by aircraft. I recall seeing a video study wherein they ran an F-4 (or something similar) into a section of one and the airplane was vaporized while the cement structure was unscathed.

The public doesn't quite understand the fragile nature of an airframe, and that ramming a nuclear facility with one is about a worrisome as pelting it with eggs.

Search: "Aircraft vs Concrete Wall wmv"
Old January 21st 13, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GC[_2_]

On 21/01/2013 11:46, Bill Palmer wrote:
The reality is that the nuclear containment domes are virtually
impenetrable by aircraft. I recall seeing a video study wherein they
ran an F-4 (or something similar) into a section of one and the
airplane was vaporized while the cement structure was unscathed. The
public doesn't quite understand the fragile nature of an airframe,
and that ramming a nuclear facility with one is about a worrisome as
pelting it with eggs.

Can't blame people really. Everybody knows now how fragile skyscrapers
can be when rammed by a 767 and, to most people, large tower buildings
look to be at least as solid as a nuclear dome. That's the reality to
be dealt with.

GC
Old January 21st 13, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Higgs

At 05:38 21 January 2013, GC wrote:
On 21/01/2013 11:46, Bill Palmer wrote:
The reality is that the nuclear containment domes are virtually
impenetrable by aircraft. I recall seeing a video study wherein they
ran an F-4 (or something similar) into a section of one and the
airplane was vaporized while the cement structure was unscathed. The
public doesn't quite understand the fragile nature of an airframe,
and that ramming a nuclear facility with one is about a worrisome as
pelting it with eggs.

Can't blame people really. Everybody knows now how fragile skyscrapers
can be when rammed by a 767 and, to most people, large tower buildings
look to be at least as solid as a nuclear dome. That's the reality to
be dealt with.

GC

I think two facts remain...

Even a 66% efficient power station produces 33% waste heat. So if it is a
100 MW station, there is a nice 33 MW Thermal continuously rising on the
lee side.

In the UK (world leaders in democracy?) ALL Nuclear Facilities have a 2
mile and 2000ft Restricted Safety Zone around them.

You can't have your cake and eat it.... Please decide.

phiggs

Old January 21st 13, 03:30 PM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Higgs View Post
Even a 66% efficient power station produces 33% waste heat. So if it is a
100 MW station, there is a nice 33 MW Thermal continuously rising on the
lee side.

In the UK (world leaders in democracy?) ALL Nuclear Facilities have a 2
mile and 2000ft Restricted Safety Zone around them.

You can't have your cake and eat it.... Please decide.

phiggs
66%?? Thats WAY high. Most heat engines (nuclear power, cars, coal, etc) are around 20-25%. Which means more thermals for us! But also lots of sink if you don't hit it right
Old January 21st 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

Darlington County, S.C., Sheriff J. Wayne Byrd

Interesting.
News of the Weird has an entire section devoted to people with the
middle name of Wayne.