OurPlane Users???

Old July 7th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default OurPlane Users???

Any OurPlane owners/users that would like to share there experiences?

Would you do it again?

What is the biggest negative?

Paul
Old July 8th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Garret

In article ,
wrote:

Any OurPlane owners/users that would like to share there experiences?

Sure.

Would you do it again?

Probably.

What is the biggest negative?

Notwithstanding all the rhetoric about "ownership" what it really is is
a private club with (more or less) one plane and eight members, and so
1) there are some rules you have to abide by that you wouldn't if you
really owned your own plane, 2) it's a bit of crap shoot whether the
other "owners" of "your" plane take good care of it (I've had good luck
with mine, but I've flown one other OurPlane plane that didn't seem as
well cared for) and 3) the plane flies a lot. If you really owned your
own plane you could wake up on a Saturday morning and decide to go
flying on a whim. It's a rare Saturday that the plane (at least "our"
plane) is available on short notice. IMHO, eight "owners" is about four
or five too many.

On the plus side, someone else deals with all the other hassles:
maintenance, cleaning, finding a hangar. All you do it fly. For my
money, not having to deal with all those hassles is more than worth
having to be a little flexible in my scheduling. Also, if you are in a
place where there are more OurPlane planes around you can take advantage
of the Plane Link system to use a different plane if "yours" is in the
shop or checked out. In practice I've found this is only marginally
useful because their fleet isn't that big (yet). But YMMV.

rg
Old July 8th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marc CYBW

I have been in the Calgary based OurPlane operation for about 5 months.
First with a one year old 172S and now a 3 year old 182S.

Availability has not been a problem and the aircraft are very well looked
after. Sure it's more expensive than renting, but the planes are much nicer
than the local flying club planes. Also, I have it for 2 solid weeks this
summer for a trip to west coast. Not sure that would be doable in a rental
situation.

Marc