Acheiving Silver Distance 50KM

Old July 15th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander

Default Acheiving Silver Distance 50KM

Can just anyone be a witness to the 50km if you do a straight line distance
and land at another airport?

For example, if my wingrunner who is a commercial pilot, drags the trailer
to a declared airport 50km away and then come to pick me up there, can he
official witness this?

Will this count? I don't have a gps data logger.
Old July 15th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jul 14, 10:26*pm, Scott Alexander wrote:
Can just anyone be a witness to the 50km if you do a straight line distance
and land at another airport? *

For example, if my wingrunner who is a commercial pilot, drags the trailer
to a declared airport 50km away and then come to pick me up there, can he
official witness this?

Will this count? *I don't have a gps data logger.

Hi Scott,

In short, you still need an Official Observer who oversees the
preflight and postflight activities. This includes things like
sealing the barograph (which you will need to use to prove continuity
of flight) and unsealing the same after the flight. The landing
witness can be anyone you can find, though the OO still needs to
certify the location/distance you specify based on the landing
witnesses.

In long, there's a bunch of other stuff to consider. Just as one for
instance, if you're gonna do a 50KM straight out flight, you don't
actually need to declare anything before the flight.

Suggest you read up on this stuff using the following materials:

FAQs on the SSA Website: http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=53...lverd istance
FAI Sporting Code: http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=53...ow=blog&id=938

Of course, if you're still stuck, feel free to ask more questions.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)
SSA Badges and Records Committee
Old July 15th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander

At 03:31 15 July 2008, Papa3 wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:26=A0pm, Scott Alexander wrote:
Can just anyone be a witness to the 50km if you do a straight line

distan=
ce
and land at another airport? =A0

For example, if my wingrunner who is a commercial pilot, drags the

traile=
to a declared airport 50km away and then come to pick me up there, can

he
official witness this?

Will this count? =A0I don't have a gps data logger.

Hi Scott,

In short, you still need an Official Observer who oversees the
preflight and postflight activities. This includes things like
sealing the barograph (which you will need to use to prove continuity
of flight) and unsealing the same after the flight. The landing
witness can be anyone you can find, though the OO still needs to
certify the location/distance you specify based on the landing
witnesses.

In long, there's a bunch of other stuff to consider. Just as one for
instance, if you're gonna do a 50KM straight out flight, you don't
actually need to declare anything before the flight.

Suggest you read up on this stuff using the following materials:

FAQs on the SSA Website:
http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=3D5361749529&sh=
ow=3Dblog&id=3D936#silverdistance
FAI Sporting Code:
http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=3D...9529&show=3Db=
log&id=3D938

Of course, if you're still stuck, feel free to ask more questions.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)
SSA Badges and Records Committee

Can you define an "Official Observer" what do you have to do to become
an "Official Observer"???
Old July 15th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jul 15, 7:26*am, Scott Alexander wrote:
[...]

an "Official Observer"???- Hide quoted text -

The qualifications for to be an Official Observer aren't prohibitive,
you just need to have earned a Silver Badge. A0s far as landing
witnesses, you either need ONE Official Observer, or TWO people who
aren't. I think most of this is explained if you follow the links
above.
Old July 15th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Jul 15, 3:26*am, Scott Alexander wrote:
Can just anyone be a witness to the 50km if you do a straight line distance
and land at another airport? *

A field is fine as well....

For example, if my wingrunner who is a commercial pilot, drags the trailer
to a declared airport 50km away and then come to pick me up there, can he
official witness this?

Will this count? *I don't have a gps data logger.

In the UK you need to take a form with you (we have them printed out
in the shelves in our clubhouse) which need signing by two Joe
Bloggses or one Official Observer stating where you landed. There is
also no need to do a declaration before the flight if you are going to
land far enough away. However, you need to watch out for your height
lose, from where you are released to where you land. If it's over
1000m (I think that's the value) you have to fly further. So, if you
are on a hill-top site and land in the lowlands it can be an issue.
Old July 15th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Can you define an "Official Observer" what do you have to do to become
an "Official Observer"???- Hide quoted text -

The qualifications for to be an Official Observer aren't prohibitive,
you just need to have earned a Silver Badge.

I thought it was a B badge.

Old July 15th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

You need to have a B badge or any FAI badge leg. An airport manager can
also be the official observer.

Mike Schumann

Old July 15th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_2_]

However, you need to watch out for your height
lose, from where you are released to where you land. If it's over
1000m (I think that's the value) you have to fly further. So, if you
are on a hill-top site and land in the lowlands it can be an issue.

I'm pretty certain it's 1%, i.e. 500 metres (work on 1500 ft and you'll
be fine). So if you take a 2,000 ft tow (600 metres), climb straight off
tow and land at the same altitude as your launch airfield, you have to
fly 60 km. In other words, your height loss must be no more than 1% of
the straight line distance, and the flight must be over 50 km.

Height loss is measured from your lowest point immediately after
release (or tug pilot certification of release height if there's no low
point), so one option is to find a thermal, open airbrakes, descend to
whatever height you've worked out you need, and then climb back up.

You need a barograph to record that you made the flight without landing
half way and taking another launch, and that barograph will also record
your lowest point after release.
Old July 15th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jul 15, 10:00*am, "Mike Schumann" mike-nos...@traditions-
nospam.com wrote:
You need to have a B badge or any FAI badge leg. *An airport manager can
also be the official observer.

Mike Schumann

"Greg Arnold" wrote in message

Can you define an "Official Observer" what do you have to do to become
an "Official Observer"???- Hide quoted text -

The qualifications for to be an Official Observer aren't prohibitive,
you just need to have earned a Silver Badge.

I thought it was a B badge.

*A0s far as landing
witnesses, you either need ONE Official Observer, or TWO people who
aren't. I think most of this is explained if you follow the links
above.

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

You are correct, I was WRONG in my previous post. From the SSA
website:

Q:
Who can act as an Official Observer?
A:
In the United States, the SSA has established the following
requirements for a person to act as an Official Observer (OO) for any
FAI Badge or Record flight or SSA State Record or Awards flight:
Must hold at least an SSA B Badge or higher SSA Badge (C or Bronze
Badge), or a leg of an FAI Badge (e.g., Silver Altitude) or completed
FAI Silver, Gold or Diamond Badge.
Must have a working knowledge of the FAI Sporting Code as it pertains
to gliders (Section 3) including Annex C which is a guide to the
Code.
Must be an SSA Member.
An Airport Manager may also act as an Official Observer.

Old July 19th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jul 14, 7:26*pm, Scott Alexander wrote:
Can just anyone be a witness to the 50km if you do a straight line distance
and land at another airport? *

For example, if my wingrunner who is a commercial pilot, drags the trailer
to a declared airport 50km away and then come to pick me up there, can he
official witness this?

Will this count? *I don't have a gps data logger.

SCOTT,
PLEASE VISIT THE SSA WEBSITE. LOOK AT SOARING ACHIEVEMENT, BADGES.
THERE IS ALL THE INFORMATION YOU REQUIRE TO DO YOUR SILVER DISTANCE
AND BADGE. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU DOWNLOAD AND PRINT THE SILVER
BADGE APPLICATION FORM. IT IS MUCH MORE THAN AN APPLICATION. IT TELLS
YOU EXACTLY HOW TO DO THE PAPERWORK AND DESCRIBES VERY WELL THE
ALTITUDE CONTRAINTS FOR DISTANCE AS WELL AS CONSIDERATIONS FOR THE
OTHER REQUIREMENTS.

WHERE ARE YOU FLYING?

HAVE FUN GETTING YOUR SILVER. BADGE FLYING IS CHALLENGING, REWARDING,
AND FUN!

JOHN