HID Lighting

Old September 24th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Rapoport

Default HID Lighting

Has anyone installed Xevision HID lighting on their airplane under a 337
approval? How do you like it? Any issues getting approval? I landed my
Helio in the dark yesterday which worked out OK but I would prefer a
reliable landing light!

Mike
MU-2

Old September 24th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
Has anyone installed Xevision HID lighting on their airplane under a 337
approval? How do you like it? Any issues getting approval? I landed my
Helio in the dark yesterday which worked out OK but I would prefer a
reliable landing light!

I daresay that 99% of people here are getting by with landing lights. The
other 1% have no electrical system :~)

Old September 24th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Rapoport

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
Has anyone installed Xevision HID lighting on their airplane under a 337
approval? How do you like it? Any issues getting approval? I landed my
Helio in the dark yesterday which worked out OK but I would prefer a
reliable landing light!

I daresay that 99% of people here are getting by with landing lights. The
other 1% have no electrical system :~)

Yes but the reliability of the landing light is related to where it is
installed. In the Helio the landing light is installed in the cowl, I'm
sure it would be better in the wing or attached to the nose gear but the
front of the cowl is probably the highest vibration area in the whole
airplane.

Mike

Old September 24th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_1_]

I've been waiting for the Baron STC to come out for the K2U installation,
rather than going through a field approval. Apparently, the application for
the STC has been sitting on a desk at the Chicago Region for around 6
months.

The lights are brighter, use a lot less current, and don't burn out. They
can be left on continuously for recognition. I can hardly wait.

Old September 24th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_1_]

Aviation Consumer had a review of these recently, and the K2U installation
was rated pretty highly, and was less expensive then the LoPresti versions.

Old September 24th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
Aviation Consumer had a review of these recently, and the K2U installation
was rated pretty highly, and was less expensive then the LoPresti
versions.

Got a link for K2U?

I've had the LoPresti lights (cowl and nose gear) for a couple years now and
I've more than satisfied, but I'd like to see what K2U (I'm not familiar
with that name) has to offer.

Old September 24th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_1_]

Knots 2 you http://www.knots2u.com/

The review was in Aviation Consumer vol 35:3, March 2006

Old September 24th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
Knots 2 you http://www.knots2u.com/

The review was in Aviation Consumer vol 35:3, March 2006

Thanks...some nice "goodies" they have.

Old September 24th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

I did this in the wingtips of my seneca.

http://www.rmdaircraft.com/hid.html

Fantastic.

You won't regret going hid. I am thinking about putting hid's on my nose
gear in place of the two landing lights.

Old September 24th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

"The Visitor" wrote in message
I did this in the wingtips of my seneca.

http://www.rmdaircraft.com/hid.html

Fantastic.

You won't regret going hid. I am thinking about putting hid's on my nose
gear in place of the two landing lights.

Don't think about too long. With winter and it's related shorter days,
you'll appreciate it.

Like yours, I'll have to take a serious look at wingtip lights, too. I have
the LoPresti, but tip lights would be a nice addition.

--
Matt

backup cockpit lighting Josef Burger Instrument Flight Rules 35 January 2nd 05 01:23 AM
Piper Wing Lighting Jessewright8 Owning 17 November 2nd 04 03:34 AM
Horizon Gyro internal lighting? Chad Lemmen Owning 2 September 6th 04 03:38 AM
Panel lighting Corky Scott Home Built 5 March 6th 04 12:22 AM
Instrument lighting for 1980 Cessna 182Q [Club maintenance] Andrew Gideon Owning 11 October 30th 03 06:47 PM